Skywest Interview

aviationluver

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Slumdawg_FO
Hello,

I have a Skywest interview on short notice. Anyone have the latest gouge or useful info.?

Thanks.

Having a pulse is all I hear they need nowadays.

Can you fog a mirror, do you have a pulse, and can you live on 25K/year, you're hired.

Hello,

I have a Skywest interview on short notice. Anyone have the latest gouge or useful info.?

Thanks.

There are some excellent gouges online. PM me your email and I'll send you the ones I used which were spot on. They actually expect you to find the gouges and use them!

Probably the hardest element was draw and explain the electrical system in an airplane you're currently fly....preferably a twin. That took a little effort for me. I'm not sure how critical they'd actually be if you were weak on that one.

Good luck. It's been a great experience for me. I continue to be impressed by the company.

Well, I've got a pulse and I can fog a mirror. I'm just a bit worried because I've been out of serious flying for about 4 years. I've been flying GA on the side about 10-15 hours a month and I'm a bit worried about drawing electrical schematics and "gotcha" questions about approach plates and enroute charts.

Crack open the POH and ready up on your normal rides electrical.

Study some plates

Log a little sim time to knock the rust off, heck even MS flight sim would do.

Do you have an ATP? I'd wager that's the biggest factor, don't think ATPs are lining up to work for many of these guys nowadays.

Well, I've got a pulse and I can fog a mirror. I'm just a bit worried because I've been out of serious flying for about 4 years. I've been flying GA on the side about 10-15 hours a month and I'm a bit worried about drawing electrical schematics and "gotcha" questions about approach plates and enroute charts.

not going to happen, if you can meet the ATP requirements, are not a total looser, and have a pulse they will offer. they need butts to fill seats period.

not going to happen, if you can meet the ATP requirements, are not a total looser, and have a pulse they will offer. they need butts to fill seats period.
While that is probably true as far as getting the offer, I'd be curious what the washout rate is for training.

Seriously, if you can't draw the electrical system for a a Duchess or Seminole from memory, how in the hell do you expect to get through training on a CRJ and pass the ATP???

While that is probably true as far as getting the offer, I'd be curious what the washout rate is for training.

Seriously, if you can't draw the electrical system for a a Duchess or Seminole from memory, how in the hell do you expect to get through training on a CRJ and pass the ATP???

Not that high. AQP has totally changed how training is done.

Not that high. AQP has totally changed how training is done.

very true, the days of having to build the plane during an oral are long gone. systems have become if you cant change it or fix it forget it. the right answer is mostly what color is the message on the screen and look it up.

very true, the days of having to build the plane during an oral are long gone. systems have become if you cant change it or fix it forget it. the right answer is mostly what color is the message on the screen and look it up.

So are we really trying to say that someone can actually pass an FAA ATP oral and checkride without having basic knowledge of the airplane's systems?

Because if that is true....we are truly doomed to be replaced by unmanned airliners.

So are we really trying to say that someone can actually pass an FAA ATP oral and checkride without having basic knowledge of the airplane's systems?

Because if that is true....we are truly doomed to be replaced by unmanned airliners.

Basic knowledge of the system is what you can control from the front. Who gives a flying flip on how to build the damn thing. If you can't do something up front, WhoGAF.

All I know is that once you lose the electrical system, the spark plus stop and so does the engine.

All of the airlines are hiring like crazy, but not everyone gets through training. I have a friend that went through a different regional and it didn't go smooth. Getting the overnight sim shift, and a 4 week break between training and check ride won't help either. They flew over 300 hours IFR night a few months before airline training (mostly sim instrument not actual) and the learning curve was steep.

No... But I truly do understand what you are saying. I was shocked by the lack of system knowledge thee wanted us to have when I transitioned to the 121 major airline world. They do not want us to know too much about the airplane. We are more robots to to published procedures.

Company procedures are where it lies. They don't even teach regs in ground school. It's basically "do it by our manual and everything will be fine".

Why should one be expected to remember schematics for an airplane that he or she flew for a dozen or so hours over the course of a couple weeks--possibly years prior to the interview? And how does knowing schematics help one fly the airplane?

As several have mentioned Google for gouges online. In the two airline interviews I did the gouges were 100% spot on and I got the offer from both. My friends at several of the other airlines all agree the online gouges are great. For once in a long while the airlines are in a position where they need all the people they can get! Simply don't give them a reason not to give you the job and it should be yours! Best of luck!

Why should one be expected to remember schematics for an airplane that he or she flew for a dozen or so hours over the course of a couple weeks--possibly years prior to the interview? And how does knowing schematics help one fly the airplane?
It is basic interview prep. At base, it shows that A) you did the homework and prepared for the interview and B) you probably have some aptitude that will help getting through training. Why fight it? It's just not that hard.

Understanding aircraft systems is important because it helps/reinforces the checklist and procedures, especially emergency procedures. Some actions require steps done in a specific order. If you understand how the system is built and works, it can help you understand why things have to be done in a certain order.

For emergencies, it can help you understand if the problem you experienced is a minor issue (write it up for maintenance) or if it is the beginning of something more serious and you need to start looking for a divert.

Maybe I'm just old school and a product of the military, but I have had to learn basic engineering systems (hydraulic/fuel/pneumatic/electrical...etc) for every ship and airplane I've operated in the last 20 years. It is something that separates the professionals from the recreation crowd. I'm not knocking recreational flyers/boaters. Just saying that as a professional, you should have a higher level of understanding. And that higher level of understanding has indeed helped me in both flying and ship driving.

In my opinion, If as a professional, you don't hold yourself to a higher standard and want to be just a button pusher, then you might as well get replaced by a computer.

Last edited:

I've only flown a twin once, and have never looked at the POH or electrical diagram for a twin, but how hard can it be?

SWAG: Alternator on each engine, probably two busses, A and B. Probably a cross connect/disconnect somewhere such that if one takes a dump, critical instruments/gear can be powered by the remaining buss. How close did I get?

It is basic interview prep. At base, it shows that A) you did the homework and prepared for the interview and B) you probably have some aptitude that will help getting through training. Why fight it? It's just not that hard.

Understanding aircraft systems is important because it helps/reinforces the checklist and procedures, especially emergency procedures. Some actions require steps done in a specific order. If you understand how the system is built and works, it can help you understand why things have to be done in a certain order.

For emergencies, it can help you understand if the problem you experienced is a minor issue (write it up for maintenance) or if it is the beginning of something more serious and you need to start looking for a divert.

Maybe I'm just old school and a product of the military, but I have had to learn basic engineering systems (hydraulic/fuel/pneumatic/electrical...etc) for every ship and airplane I've operated in the last 20 years. It is something that separates the professionals from the recreation crowd. I'm not knocking recreational flyers/boaters. Just saying that as a professional, you should have a higher level of understanding. And that higher level of understanding has indeed helped me in both flying and ship driving.

In my opinion, If as a professional, you don't hold yourself to a higher standard and want to be just a button pusher, then you might as well get replaced by a computer.

Yup!

Turn gen 2 of before gen 1, OK whatever. Easy to forget.

Understand the output differences between the two and you'll understand WHY, and you won't forget rote crap due to your understanding of the logic.

Yup!

Turn gen 2 of before gen 1, OK whatever. Easy to forget.

Understand the output differences between the two and you'll understand WHY, and you won't forget rote crap due to your understanding of the logic.

Well put

I've only flown a twin once, and have never looked at the POH or electrical diagram for a twin, but how hard can it be?

SWAG: Alternator on each engine, probably two busses, A and B. Probably a cross connect/disconnect somewhere such that if one takes a dump, critical instruments/gear can be powered by the remaining buss. How close did I get?

You have batteries on that somewhere?

Back