Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon

Jim Schilling

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyMidwestJim
This might be really stupid, but what the hell.

We’ve all probably heard the very scientific theory of all of us being no more than 6 degrees of separation from a connection to Kevin Bacon.

I used this link to mess around with it.

https://oracleofbacon.org

So, who can we find in here who can get the closest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My number is 4.

A guy I work with named Shane was an actor for a few years before the writers strike.

Shane was in “Freddy” with Brian Austin Green

Brian Austin Green was in “Kid” with R. Lee Ermey

R. Lee Ermey was in “murder in the first” with Kevin Bacon.

My number is 3.

I went to high school with Melissa Etheridge. She was in "1 a Minute" (a documentary about breast cancer) with Olivia Newton John, who was in "She's Having a Baby" with Kevin Bacon.

Julia Robert’s was in one of his movies. I dated a woman who was in Girl Scouts with Julia.

I was struggling to remember some famous people I've met...then I realized that database is only looking at actors
that's a little bit harder even, for me
I sort of met Jacklyn Smith's husband once....She's a Bacon number 2...so does that make my number 3?
and I thought of another one....my wife met a husband of someone who is a 2...so that I guess would make me a 4 I suppose?
I actually thought of a few other people I know that have met actors...and in every case those were 2 so that puts me at a 4?
Not sure if any of those count or not. I've met some famous folks but I can't think of any actors that I've met directly.

I'm 2.
In college I spoke with Victor Wong on a number of occasions. Victor was in tremors with Kevin bacon.

I was struggling to remember some famous people I've met...then I realized that database is only looking at actors
that's a little bit harder even, for me
I sort of met Jacklyn Smith's husband once....She's a Bacon number 2...so does that make my number 3?
and I thought of another one....my wife met a husband of someone who is a 2...so that I guess would make me a 4 I suppose?
I actually thought of a few other people I know that have met actors...and in every case those were 2 so that puts me at a 4?
Not sure if any of those count or not. I've met some famous folks but I can't think of any actors that I've met directly.

By my math, your solidly at a 4.

1 degree.

His band was playing at a corporate trade show booth I was working for a client quite a few years ago...it was kinda sad. Later that day almost literally walked into him on the sidewalk as he was waiting for a car with zero entourage around him, almost no one recognized him...or really cared...including me.

Never got star stuck having worked around and with "celebrities" since I was 16 and realized they are just like normal people only with a higher profile job and the same ratio of really cool people to Delta Bravos as the general population.

Last edited:
Two. Wallace Shawn was in Starting Over with Kevin Bacon. I busted in on Wallace Shawn in a bathroom in Brooklyn once.

1 degree

Wife and I met Mary Steenburgen in Arkansas. She frequented a plant nursery my wife worked at.

Back when I was in college at Ga. Tech (circa 1975-76) and Paul Newman was racing at Road Atlanta, a friend of mine had a gig job, but he had to move and gave me one of his gigs. I would pick up Paul Newman's RV (motorhome) in Macon Ga and drive it to Flowery Branch (Road Atlanta). I'd stock it with beer and park it for him. I met him a couple of times. The time I remember best was when I met a girl at Road Atlanta and I asked her if she would like to meet Paul Newman. She laughed at me and said "sure", knowing I was making it up. I took her to the RV and knocked on the door and Paul yelled "its open come in". We walked in and Paul said "Hi John, and tossed me a Budweiser and asked the young lady's name and what would she like. I don't think she said another word all night.

So anyway, does that put me 1 degree away from everyone Paul Newman knew?

Last edited:
I said hi to Kevin Bacon in the airport one time and he said hi back. Does that count?

I shook hands with a man that shook hands with Arnold Schwarzenegger ... :D

My number is 4.

A guy I work with named Shane was an actor for a few years before the writers strike.

Shane was in “Freddy” with Brian Austin Green

Brian Austin Green was in “Kid” with R. Lee Ermey

R. Lee Ermey was in “murder in the first” with Kevin Bacon.

If you are #4, I’m at least a 5

My number is 2 - two ways...Met Barbara Bosson & Steve Bochno (Hill Street Blues) skiing at Copper Mtn, I mentioned that Denver roads were deserted on Thursday evenings, everyone was watching HSB.
Second way - Star Trek, a number of the DS9 Cast including Nana Visitor and Rene Auberjonois. Nana was in Denver for a con, she wanted away from the con for lunch, took her and a couple others to a great spot not far from the con but definitely someplace none of the con people would go.

Four, near as I can determine. My wife and I met Sheila E. (3) and Lionel Richie (3) backstage at a concert. Long story but we had crew passes.

Note: Edited to correct for defective memory.

Last edited:
Mark Goddard, (Major West on Lost in Space) grew up in the same town I did and I met him once. He's a Bacon 2, so I guess I'm a three. I also ended up sitting next to Penny (Angela Cartwright) on a flight from ATL to DAB. This was about 4 years ago and cured me of my childhood crush,

Back when I was in college at Ga. Tech (circa 1975-76) and Paul Newman was racing at Road Atlanta, a friend of mine had a gig job, but he had to move and gave me one of his gigs. I would pick up Paul Newman's RV (motorhome) in Macon Ga and drive it to Flowery Branch (Road Atlanta). I'd stock it with beer and park it for him. I met him a couple of times. The time I remember best was when I met a girl at Road Atlanta and I asked her if she would like to meet Paul Newman. She laughed at me and said "sure", knowing I was making it up. I took her to the RV and knocked on the door and Paul yelled "its open come in". We walked in and Paul said "Hi John, and tossed me a Budweiser and asked the young lady's name and what would she like. I don't think she said another word all night.

So anyway, does that put me 1 degree away from everyone Paul Newman knew?

I think it does!

I was in high school with a guy named Kevin...

giphy.gif

The six degrees thing was supposed to apply to anybody in the world, though it may not apply in extreme cases like remote Indonesian tribes or Tibetan yak herders. I think it originally came from probability analysis.

I like to think that Kevin Bacon stays awake at night thinking, "Wow! I'm 3 degrees from Matthew!"

Another "close encounter" of mine:
My SIL is/was an aspiring actress in NYC (which as usual means she was a waitress and a yoga instructor most of the time).
But she did get occasional parts in off-broadway plays, and a few commercials as an extra. She was one of the people in the coke commercial singing "I'd like to teach the world to sing . . ."

But her one "big" break was a speaking part (7 words) in "You've got mail". She likes to talk about meeting Meg Ryan Tom Hanks, Parker Posey, Dave Chappelle and a bunch of other people I never heard of. But I guess that puts me 2 degrees away from some of those and 3 degrees away from everyone they knew.

But for some reason, I thought the 6 degrees of separation meant people you might be related to; not just people that know people that you know.

The oracle of bacon could not find me and suggested I misspelled my name.

I met the Pope once on a trip to Rome and since he’s directly connected to God, I’m 3 away from everybody in the Universe.

She was one of the people in the coke commercial singing "I'd like to teach the world to sing . . ."
So that makes her about 70 years old?

The oracle of bacon could not find me and suggested I misspelled my name.
The database is actors and directors, not commoners. A relatively small pool of people in a highly incestuous industry have close ties to each other. What a shock.

Another "close encounter" of mine:
My SIL is/was an aspiring actress in NYC.. She was one of the people in the coke commercial singing "I'd like to teach the world to sing . . ."

Your SIL was in Italy for that? 'Cause, that's where it was filmed.

Fabian bummed a couple beers from my cooler once in Greenville, SC.

I guess that just means I'm old :)

So that makes her about 70 years old?
Actually, 72 now. Two years older than me.
Your SIL was in Italy for that? 'Cause, that's where it was filmed.
Yes she was. She stayed in a hotel near the Trevi fountain. My wife and I and two of their other siblings went back there about 20 years later. She said nothing had changed.

And at 72, she is still a yoga instructor in NYC/

Back