Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon

Hey, found another connection:

I went to high school with another Melissa. Her older sister, Lorrie, was an actress and was married to Anson Williams (“Pottsie Weber”) from Happy Days. She was in a few episodes of Happy Days and Mork and Mindy. Some of those other actors have connections to Kevin Bacon. Ron Howard directed Apollo 13 with Kevin Bacon.

Last edited:
Man, I don’t know anyone. I think I’m a 7.

Who is Kevin Bacon?

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked at the same Chevrolet dealership as Chuck Norris's brother.

Kevin Who?

The six degrees thing was supposed to apply to anybody in the world, though it may not apply in extreme cases like remote Indonesian tribes or Tibetan yak herders. I think it originally came from probability analysis.
I remember a bunch of work being done in the 90s on small world models. The web was brand new and PageRank hadn't been invented yet:
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/335305.335325
There was also a lot of interest in large graphs:
https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.5555/647967.741620

I don't know what my Bacon number is, but my Erdos number is 3 :cool:

If you are #4, I’m at least a 5
Now that I’ve spent an evening on this fascinating pursuit... I’ve met Obama and his Bacon number is 2 (Tom Hanks was in “The road we’ve traveled” with him). So I’m 3.

My Chuck Norris number is 3.

But he was in Security Police in the Air Force and decades later, so was I. So that has to make him either a much older brother to me, or at least the really cool uncle!

Well crap, I just realized that after making fun of this thread I think I might actually win it. I met Jim Lovell (who is WAY cooler than any movie star), and he played the captain of the recovery ship in "Apollo 13" (which is of course based on his amazing book "Lost Moon"), which also starred Kevin Bacon. So does that make me 1 or 2?

Well crap, I just realized that after making fun of this thread I think I might actually win it. I met Jim Lovell (who is WAY cooler than any movie star), and he played the captain of the recovery ship in "Apollo 13" (which is of course based on his amazing book "Lost Moon"), which also starred Kevin Bacon. So does that make me 1 or 2?

giphy.gif

You have 2 degrees.

I've met Jim Lovell as well. I've also had a nice conversation with Sully and TK Mattingly, so I've got a few more two steps to Kevin Bacon.

I was in Son of the Mask with Ben Stein - go figure!

I guess the math adds up! :)

Saw he and his brother and their band at a small club, chatted with him for a few.

Saw he and his brother and their band at a small club, chatted with him for a few.

I feel like that makes you a 1, and allll of the rest of us a 2.

My Chuck Norris number is 3.

But he was in Security Police in the Air Force and decades later, so was I. So that has to make him either a much older brother to me, or at least the really cool uncle!

I'm a 1. He's not tall.

In the early 80s I worked a summer as a valet at a hotel in Westhampton, NY. One day a woman checked and I carried her bags to her room, it was Tina Louise aka Ginger from Gilligan's Island.

I can get to 3 in multiple ways. Most interesting, Ethan Hawke made a cameo in my son’s high school Spanish movie. Ethan has been in movies with Kevin Bacon, making my son a 2, making me a 3.

My Bacon number is 2. I worked on a film with Meg Ryan, who was in In The Cut with Bacon.

My Norris number is 1. We used to work out at the same gym. He was in fairly often with a small entourage.

3, possibly 2. Met a (then assistant) now director for Warner Brothers and his wife at a golf camp. (yes, that part of a years old April Fool's was true). Looking at who he has worked with, it's a for sure 3. But having not gone through all the credits of each, I don't know if it's a 2 or not. Norris number is also 3 (different trace)

I thought this would be harder, but Chris Ellis filmed a movie here a few years ago, and he was in Apollo 13 with Kevin Bacon. So 2 as best as I can tell.

My wife worked professionally in theater in LA and on Broadway, which makes me (through no coolness factors of my own) pretty much a two or a three from every A-list actor.

My Bacon # is 3. I worked briefly with Bill Nye, who was in a movie with another guy who was in a movie with KB.

BTW, if you happen to have Disney+ the Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas special appears to have been designed specifically to lower a lot of people's Bacon #. (It doesn't have much value beyond that...)

Tom Hanks and I were in the same college. Well okay, not exactly at the same time. And he was in a movie with Kevin Bacon. Do I get a Bacon number?

Oh and he lives in Oakland, if that bumps the number up any.

I was pretty sure I was not going to make this work but then I recalled that in the mid 2000s I was a CFI for writer/director Christopher McQuarrie (very cool guy), who now has movie credits like Valkyrie, Mission Impossible, Jack Reacher and the newest Top Gun.

Website says 4th degree via three names I've never heard of.

I was pretty sure I was not going to make this work but then I recalled that in the mid 2000s I was a CFI for writer/director Christopher McQuarrie (very cool guy), who now has movie credits like Valkyrie, Mission Impossible, Jack Reacher and the newest Top Gun.

Website says 4th degree via three names I've never heard of.

If you worked with that guy who worked with Tom Cruise, Cruise was in A Few Good Men with Kevin Bacon - that's 3 degrees.

My KB number is 5. My longtime, now retired and moved to Texas, A&P-IA was Robert Downey's cousin. RD's number is 3, hence I'm a 5.

The original was that no movie star was more than six degrees, not anyone on earth. So I never thought about *me*. Kind of fun. And I'm another 4.

1) A good friend of mine
2) was Keith Richards guitar tech for 35 years.
3) Keith was in Pirate's of the Caribbean: At World's End with Dominic Scott Kay.
4) Dom was in Loverboy with Kevin Bacon.

The original was that no movie star was more than six degrees, not anyone on earth. So I never thought about *me*. Kind of fun. And I'm another 4.

1) A good friend of mine
2) was Keith Richards guitar tech for 35 years.
3) Keith was in Pirate's of the Caribbean: At World's End with Dominic Scott Kay.
4) Dom was in Loverboy with Kevin Bacon.
Actually, the original "six degrees of separation" is the theory that everyone is connected within six hops. Six degrees of Kevin Bacon is a special case of that, based on the theory that Bacon is the center of the entertainment universe.

Actually, the original "six degrees of separation" is the theory that everyone is connected within six hops. Six degrees of Kevin Bacon is a special case of that, based on the theory that Bacon is the center of the entertainment universe.
Not sure it's that he's the center of anything, but rather Kevin Bacon loosely rhymes with separation. Hence "Six degrees of Kevin Bacon"

Not sure it's that he's the center of anything, but rather Kevin Bacon loosely rhymes with separation. Hence "Six degrees of Kevin Bacon"

I think it was easy to make it about Bacon because he has been in so many films with so many people, it was easy to prove the point.

Back