Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
If your instruments failed and you could have only one:

Day VFR?

In IMC?

I know my answer for the first. The second I'm conflicted a little bit. What say you?

Airspeed or Altimeter, I guess. Neither is really required, but either could be helpful.

Attitude indicator.

And let's assume you don't have a form of GPS backup.

Day VFR: Anything that's not on fire

In IMC: Attitude indicator

Good question. Let's say yes for the purpose of discussion to see where you are headed.

In VMC: the actual horizon

In IMC: artificial horizon

Brian (intentional typo to keep the zombies away)

AI in IMC in addition to the above

In vmc, I'd have to go with oil pressure indicator.
Imc, I'm in agreement with the others, AI.

this:

Pro%20Pilot%20GPSS%20GPSV%20copy.jpg

Ok, I'll bite. I have to know how a clock is going to help you keep the aircraft wings level and under control imc.

It won't, compass will do that, clock will let me know where I am, kinda need both compass and clock together.

VFR nothing required -- in fact for single seat homebuilts, nothing is required by the FFA except fuel gauge.

VMC: Do i have a radio? If yes, Id manage with nothing else. If no, Ill take a radio.

Talk to ATC get vectors to nearest. Might have to do some 360s for him to find me but climb, circle, and confess eh?

The good ol' magnetic compass.
Heading is always Primary...
In IMC you have 3 things to do: fly a Heading, an Altitude, and an Airspeed. That's it.
Those are the only 3 instruments you need. ...and in that order of priority.

Airspeed can be controlled by power and stick feel, altitude can be estimated better than direction, and in relatively smooth air, attitude can be controlled by watching the "float" of the compass in it's fluid .
(Really- check it out!)

Ipad gives you attitude indicator, heading, altitude, and a clock...

I thought were only walking flight instruments? Not engine and navigation. You really don't need navigation if you have a radio and transponder.

The good ol' magnetic compass.
Heading is always Primary...
In IMC you have 3 things to do: fly a Heading, an Altitude, and an Airspeed. That's it.
Those are the only 3 instruments you need. ...and in that order of priority.

Airspeed can be controlled by power and stick feel, altitude can be estimated better than direction, and in relatively smooth air, attitude can be controlled by watching the "float" of the compass in it's fluid .
(Really- check it out!)

Better hope you're not on a northerly heading when the panel goes dark...even trimmed up and using rudder only, it's a tough way to navigate and maintain control. I've checked it out. I hope I never have to do it for real.

I thought were only walking flight instruments? Not engine and navigation. You really don't need navigation if you have a radio and transponder.

As far as I'm concerned, engine instruments are flight instruments, and are in my scan. Without engine, you don't fly, in a single anyway.

Day VMC - nothing...just eyeballs and a brain.

Night VMC - a radio...to turn on PCL in the vicinity of where I think I am.

IMC - no idea, I'll revisit when I get the rating.

VMC--just the ol' M1/A1 eyeball

IMC--I want at least 2, the T&B and the Airspeed Indicator. I agree with Henning, with only one (even the Attitude Indicator) you'd probably be just as well to start with reciting the lords prayer.

In VMC: nothing.

In IMC: with only a single instrument I'd be dead. Minimum survivable: TC, altimeter, and radio. (AI is tempting, but my steam AI alone isn't sensitive enough to keep me from going into a death spiral.)

Back