Simulator time worth it??

That dome in the Hornet sim is realistic. If you’re standing outside you have to grab the railing and steady yourself because of a perceived motion. Got a little dizzy but not nauseous.

I don’t even know how you’d do the visuals on a motion sim with a bubble canopy. Motion works well for level flying with small changes, but not for maneuvering like in a fighter.
I don’t think they were very good, and the motion was very unrealistic from what I was told.

I liked the Hornet sim. Seemed pretty realistic, although considering the Citation is the only jet I’ve actually flown, I didn’t have much to compare it to.

Even the fighters have gone away from full motion.

At Oceana, all of the Hornet sims are fixed. The old F-14 sims were full motion, but they sucked apparently.

The T-37 was full motion and that thing was always broke! hydraulics would crap out, leak, settle down. The old electronics couldnt handle the constanst jarring. It was horrible.

The T-38 WST sim is pretty cool. It has a clamshell that closes around the cockpit and gives you a 360 degree visual. It's pretty slick. But yeah the lack of motion on a maintenance front is great and it's not like it really added much anyway.

As rediculous that the flight dynamics in the Redbird are, the motion isn't anywhere near useful for anything. That's not how any real full motion simulator works. It's right up there with that rather silly motion on the old Link IFR trainers.

As for the military stuff, motion works for stuff with a rather constrained flight regime like an airliner. I'm not sure you could even implement a realistic full motion on something as manouverable as a fighter.

Army continues to use full motion. That’s a lot of $$$ in the background. ;)

9968FFD6-86C8-4A4B-96D8-0732D834D54E.jpeg

That’s a lot of $$$ in the background. ;)

Why yes, yes it is! Seems on the mil side the sims are close to the actual airframe cost. Our T6 OFT's are basically the cost of a T6. It's crazy!

New full motion sims have electric actuator legs. Way better and more reliable than the old hydraulic driven legs.

Even the fighters have gone away from full motion.

At Oceana, all of the Hornet sims are fixed. The old F-14 sims were full motion, but they sucked apparently.
Interesting. I wonder if we will ever see that in the airlines.

The AF still uses full motion sims just not in UPT. Not sure what the reasoning behind it is though, I just fix them.

Back