Simulated Soft Field Landings in my Sky Arrow

FastEddieB

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fast Eddie B
I got up in the Sky Arrow today to practice soft field landings and a few Commercial maneuvers*.

I had become aware that somewhere along the line I had gotten out of the habit of carrying power into a soft field landing, so I thought I'd go practice a few.

Here's a video I just put together of a simulated soft field touch and go without the nose touching, followed by a full stop, keeping the nose up as long as desired:

Looks like about 3,000 rpm (with a ROTAX) is about right for the soft field landing.

I'll put together a video of the Commercial maneuvers which, while certainly not perfect, were a lot better than last time.

*In a couple weeks I'm going to attempt to get my CFI reinstated. Wish me luck!

Really nice controll - and I like the camera perspective, got to see the stick input.

The unobstructed view is great, too.

I got up in the Sky Arrow today to practice soft field landings and a few Commercial maneuvers*.

I had become aware that somewhere along the line I had gotten out of the habit of carrying power into a soft field landing, so I thought I'd go practice a few.

Here's a video I just put together of a simulated soft field touch and go without the nose touching, followed by a full stop, keeping the nose up as long as desired:

Looks like about 3,000 rpm (with a ROTAX) is about right for the soft field landing.

I'll put together a video of the Commercial maneuvers which, while certainly not perfect, were a lot better than last time.

*In a couple weeks I'm going to attempt to get my CFI reinstated. Wish me luck!

Nice! But don't you have a real soft field you can use rather than simulating on asphalt?

Where I fly, soft field also means short field.... are you practicing that as well?

Last edited:
Nice! But don't you have a real soft field you can use rather than simulating on asphalt?

I've been back and forth to a grass strip near Knoxville, and Brasstown, NC is nearby.

Each of those:

(Fast forward to about 2:00 for the first one, about :45 in the second)

You can see I was neglecting to feed power back in before touchdown - I wanted to practice on pavement to see about how much power worked, and it seems like about 3,000 rpm on the ROTAX keeps the nose up without excessive float if the speed is about right. Yet even with no power, you can see in the "Big T" landing that there's still enough pitch authority to keep the nose up regardless. But with the Sky Arrow's T-Tail, the elevator is mostly out of ground effect and tends to give up all at once, so some power might still be beneficial.

Here's the video of the Commercial maneuvers:

I felt a little rusty. And the little Sky Arrow is quick to punish any clumsiness with the rudder - I find myself trying to "cheat" a bit, especially on the Lazy 8's and Steep Spirals. Will practice a bit more before my upcoming checkride.

Back