"Simple" flight to KBKV that got "complicated"

That was wild. While normally it is a request by the controller to go around, the plane on the ILS was never cleared to land.

That was all around crazy.

BTW, what camera were you using on the tail?

What a cluster. Glad I didn't go there. Been unusually good weather last couple days in FL. And no Riddle or other student planes in the mix, that would have made it really fun

That was crazy! If you didn’t capture all that it would have been hard to believe.

Holy cow. Three helmet fires going on at the same time.

Cannot believe the ILS guy did not get a deviation.

That was crazy! If you didn’t capture all that it would have been hard to believe.
No kidding. I honestly didn't pick up all the mistakes in real time, I noticed about 80% of them, that's why I was laughing every time I keyed the mic.

The funny thing is I put the camera on to film the scenery and dropped all that footage for this insanity.

Cannot believe the ILS guy did not get a deviation.

No “possible pilot deviation, advise when ready to copy the tower number?!” Seems like that guy landed without a clearance.
If it happened anywhere else, he probably would’ve. Got lucky and must’ve got a free pass - especially since the controller was behind the 8-ball too.

In his defense, they do not have radar at this airport. That doesn't excuse the other issues at hand, but I want to be fair.

so many points where I would have hightailed it out of there. don't need to do pattern work that badly. actually if you've seen my patterns that's probably not true, but anyways....

so many points where I would have hightailed it out of there. don't need to do pattern work that badly. actually if you've seen my patterns that's probably not true, but anyways....
I wasn't there to do pattern work, I was stopping to get gas.

It wasn't clear to me whether the ILS guy was flying IFR, or doing VFR practice approaches.
I'm guessing the latter, since he would've been given priority if he'd been IFR, yes? And also since tower said something like "no more approaches for you!" at the end.

patternwork, gas, I don't give a cr@p. head out, come back when things settle down.
You can say that now with hindsight. I was bugging out to the east after my go round, and then it seemed like things were better, the grumman was in the pattern, the tower knew where he was, at that time, the guy on the ILS hadn't started up yet, so no way to know that was going to happen next. Once I was turning final and could see him there was no point in aborting then. But I did go home and stay on the ground the rest of the day rather than going up to GA to have lunch. :(

Unbelievable! I would most likely have done what others suggested and made myself scarce. You did well to keep your composure ...

It wasn't clear to me whether the ILS guy was flying IFR, or doing VFR practice approaches.
I'm guessing the latter, since he would've been given priority if he'd been IFR, yes?
Nope. AIM 5-4-26 Landing Priority

A clearance for a specific type of approach (ILS, RNAV, GLS, ADF, VOR or Visual Approach) to an aircraft operating on an IFR flight plan does not mean that landing priority will be given over other traffic. ATCTs handle all aircraft, regardless of the type of flight plan, on a “first-come, first-served” basis. Therefore, because of local traffic or runway in use, it may be necessary for the controller in the interest of safety, to provide a different landing sequence. In any case, a landing sequence will be issued to each aircraft as soon as possible to enable the pilot to properly adjust the aircraft's flight path.

I’ve bugged out hard for less. Not risking my six to save a few bucks in gas. Pulling the gear up on the go without the Mooney dip requires the strength of Hercules. Nice job.

Wow, what an excrement show. That was terrible!

Agree with Steingar - French Valley (F70) can be like that, and when it is, I just go full throttle and climb to at least 1K above pattern altitude and just go about my merry way somewhere else but there.

Wow. Glad you made it down safely. Too many skeeters trying to bite ya.

You guys describe things well.
As such, I cannot bring myself to watch it.

No “possible pilot deviation, advise when ready to copy the tower number?!” Seems like that guy landed without a clearance.

Tower probably didn’t want the “looking into” of the pilot for the deviation to turn the corner to “looking into” them...

Tower probably didn’t want the “looking into” of the pilot for the deviation to turn the corner to “looking into” them...

Yup, marking the tapes goes both ways.

What a crapfest. Holy cow. Landing Saturday at LZU was busy, but efficiently handled.

Nice job Salty, I think that Grumman pilot screwed the pooch, had he not been such a screw up everything probably would have fallen in place nicely. It's funny how once things start going wrong it snowballs.

I've had guys like the Grumman guy do that to me before, I'll be 3 miles away, they'll say they are 2 miles away when they are actually 6 miles away it really screws things up. I think this guy was just having a bad time, but I swear some guys do it to jump ahead, which is suicidal. Thankfully it's easier to sort now with ADSB, I'll take a look outside, if I don't find them I'll look at the traffic screen and confirm where they are. That Grumman guy just had no situational awareness.

The guy on the approach, I couldn't figure out if he was IFR or doing a practice approach, I'm thinking it was a practice. But when a controller tells you to go missed, you go missed, no if, ands or buts about it, it's not a suggestion. It's the same if a controller tells you to go around. He was a menace, being on an approach while vfr, especially a practice approach does not give you the ROW.

I thought the controller did an ok job, they always screw up airplane types, if it confuses you, ask but most of the time it's pretty clear what they are talking about. Also, especially if he doesn't have radar, the controller is handicapped if a pilot gives incorrect information. So I have to give this guy a pass, especially since he was a trainee.

Good job handling this Salty, it's always much easier saying I would have done this, I would have done that when you have time to think about it after watching it, but real time no one has that luxury.

I thought it funny that the guy in the Grumman kept saying Grumman Tiger. Maybe he was worried they'd mistake him for an F14 or something.

I'm guessing the latter, since he would've been given priority if he'd been IFR, yes? And also since tower said something like "no more approaches for you!" at the end.

Almost certainly practice approaches. Pilot wanted a touch and go. He could have been simply cleared to land on runway 9 and taken out of the equation.

Okay, so, it turns out the Grumman pilot keeps his plane at my air park. After the flight he went to one of my neighbors and told him all about it. He was confused about runways and was actually lined up for the long defunct runway 15, not runway 21. The track below confirms that clearly.

Boy, I had no idea how difficult it was going to be to get the track synced up to the audio, so somebody better watch it. LOL It's ok to just scroll through it, I won't be offended.

Some days I am glad I don't have a transponder and ADSB out (I have in) and can't fly into that nonsense. Today is one of those. Wow.

Okay, so, it turns out the Grumman pilot keeps his plane at my air park. After the flight he went to one of my neighbors and told him all about it. He was confused about runways and was actually lined up for the long defunct runway 15, not runway 21. The track below confirms that clearly.

Boy, I had no idea how difficult it was going to be to get the track synced up to the audio, so somebody better watch it. LOL It's ok to just scroll through it, I won't be offended.

Lined up with the wrong runway, that's a problem. I fly out of KBED, it's such a problem there that they tell you to confirm runway alignment with DG on final. I've heard guys get the number to call when they screw it up. That video really is painful to listen to. I mean the Grumman guy is confused, but that guy on the localizer, he just had mission fixation, not good.

In his defense, they do not have radar at this airport. That doesn't excuse the other issues at hand, but I want to be fair.
Pretty sad that a pilot in the pattern with ADS-B in has more situational awareness than the controller, but since ADS-B out is not required in Class D that's just the way it is.

Cool. Would have liked to see the ground track of the dude on the ILS. I couldn't tell how far he went before he went missed. I'm assuming it was past the runway 9 threshold.

Also, who was it that popped up at 3:40 and stated that according to ADS-B it looked like 565 was on final to runway 3? That made things even more confusing. Was that you?

Cool. Would have liked to see the ground track of the dude on the ILS. I couldn't tell how far he went before he went missed. I'm assuming it was past the runway 9 threshold.

Also, who was it that popped up at 3:40 and stated that according to ADS-B it looked like 565 was on final to runway 3? That made things even more confusing. Was that you?
That was me. My ADSB wasn't showing the guy at all, but it alerted me to traffic at 12 o'clock low when I was halfway down the runway.

Back