SI for misdiagnosis of Bipolar Disorder

Hey Doc, you’re right. But with the faa, the world and the DSM catching up… don’t matter. THAT is the “POA relevant” problem.

Insofar as a ATP not knowing better… ain’t as obvious as it seems. Most career pilot atp’s trust their unions, who miserably let them down. Ain’t going to a health care professional without fear of unreasonable faa action how it’s supposed to work? Seems amateur cynics (who are extremely successful) have a better handle on the situation. Not how it’s supposed to work.

While Doc Bruce explains the origins of the problem for a certain subset very well, it still leaves a daunting, expensive and cumbersome process for the now well-adjusted , life successful adult hoping to pursue flight to clean up the record vis-a-vis the FAA.

"I have met the enemy and he is us".

Isn't at least part of the problem the complexity of the insurance system? The PCP has to declare a diagnosis on paper in order to get paid by an insurer, so declare s/he will.

I was faced with an insurance choice between plans/employers. Not even the billing director at several practices I used regularly could tell me what would be billed and what my out of pocket would be between the various plans that they all accepted. It is therefore (conveniently) impossible for even the most diligent consumer to shop with price in mind.
None. Zero. The insurance just pays for the dx and drugs. The choice to go and blame some other thing - restless child, bad parenting, not enough outdoor exercise to burn off said energy, giving them instant dopamine hits or whatever they want which results in them not doing well in that school environment - the parent not taking responsbility for said child. that is what the doctor is referencing. it has nothing to do with how complex or getting the dx for the insurance as thats a payment problem. Not the bringing up the child parenting problem, or finding a scapegoat for your poor parenting.

Last edited:
Not the bringing up the child properly problem, or finding a scapegoat for your poor parenting.
Well, in that case I'm happy to take your advice. I never would have guessed Chief Justice Roberts' parent was a pilot and dwelled among us on PoA. Perhaps you've raised his siblings to be Olympic and/or professional athletes as well, similarly at the pinnacle of their chosen fields?

Last edited:
I'm in a similar boat: went to my PC at 19 when my parents strong-armed me because my grades started slipping in school.
My take on this subject is that your neurotic suburban parents screwed you. I continue to take these lessons through my own parenting of a son, who I don't give two flips if he wants to become a pilot, dermatologist or interpretative dancer. What I damn well do not want, is to be scapegoated as the causal source of his vocational barriers in adult/legally consenting life.

It's a complex job as most engaged parents would understand. But as has been highlighted earlier in the thread, it's hard to not be lazy and medicate the children away. Our workaholic and nuclear-family-centering society also makes it difficult not to be physically exhausted at the end of the day whilst navigating these pitfalls. But that's a more expansive discussion topic this forum isn't really built for, so I digress. My sincere condolences for your paperwork troubles, I stand in solidarity with those who want to fly glorified go-karts recreationally without so much red tape.

The doctor continually noted he wasn't dx but trying to "clean up my brain from the meds I was previously on".
Not a chance in the world a medical doctor would put that in a medical record. Like zero.

It's sad that non-commercial aviation also has to suffer the consequences of the attempt to achieve the impossible goal of "a zero air transport accident environment."

Hey Doc, you’re right. But with the faa, the world and the DSM catching up… don’t matter. THAT is the “POA relevant” problem.

Insofar as a ATP not knowing better… ain’t as obvious as it seems. Most career pilot atp’s trust their unions, who miserably let them down. Ain’t going to a health care professional without fear of unreasonable faa action how it’s supposed to work? Seems amateur cynics (who are extremely successful) have a better handle on the situation. Not how it’s supposed to work.
Tools, the concept is "pay for good advice". Sadly, a lotta ATPs have not heard of that. :(

DJ- as happens on webboards, the case that Anthem makes may be overstated. But there is no denying "running to a pill" to "fix" the situation, in the least time demanding way possible, is a parental crutch which is used, IMO all too often.

But again, there is no "SI" for bipolar. NONE. And with the state of the art the way it is, I think until there is a better tool, it's going to remain that way.

Last edited:
Back