SI and Past Due

iflyvfr

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Greg
Last year my sleep doc informed me he was dropping all his patients and going in another direction. My medical was due the end of February but due to the flue, travel, and procrastination I didn't get a new doc lined up timely. Last week when I called to schedule an initial consult with a new sleep doc, I was told the earliest appointment is April 20th.

So, my SI is past due and by the time I get everything I need (compliance report and letter from Dr.) it will be late April. I'm wondering if I can simply ground myself until May 1st and essentially it all goes away?

Outta curiosity, why not get your local GP to write the status letter. Once you have the SI, unless your letter says different, a regular doc can "sign off" that your complying and and all other other items to be checked are in the green arc.

My GP is willing to do this and the AME has been happy with the submission.

AggieMike is correct, you don't need the sleep doc. Family doc writes:
Appears well rested
Complaint by history with CPAP
No complaint of daytime sleepiness
No findings on exam of right heart failure.

That + your CPAP report (showing >75% of nights with >6 hours' use, has to be as close to the full year as you can show) and you're ready to go. ANY AME can reissue that in the office on the spot.

It doesn't all go away. Show your family doc AC68.1 and if he is willing, you CAN go that route, too. YMMV.

I print the reports my family doc writes the letter. Easy peasy.

I have the report already, just need someone to pen the letter. Doc I'd love to come see you again, had a great flight to/back last year but logistics are difficult this year.

So if I did wait, e.g. not send off my compliance report & letter prior to May 1 - do I just slide into the BasicMed system the same as if none of this had occurred? I'm thinking to save the hassle factor to try to get into my PCP, explain what I want and get the letter. I'll need a new sleep doc anyway for any prescriptions I might need in the future and he can write any needed letter going forward.

Can someone remind me which of the Sleepyhead reports I need print off to show CPAP compliance?

Yup. But once again, make sure your family doc is willing. See AC 68.1.Bruce

OK, I've read AC 68.1. It says I gotta have a drivers license, and I have to take the course, and I have to have had a physical in the past 48 months that complies with 68.7 and the CMEC completed and somewhere that I can produce it if needed. But none of it gets sent to the Feds. I just have to comply, Scout's Honor.

So, the fact I didn't get my medical renewed by the end of February means that I can sit tight until May 1, but on May 1 if I expect to fly, I need to have had a CMEC examination completed and on file along with my checklist per the AC. Because, as of May 1st as anyone's medical expires (May 31st, June 30th, etc.) they will need to follow the new BasicMed procedure, which means getting a physical in compliance with the CMEC.

I think I'm beginning to understand that I should ask Bruce to do my SI renewal ASAP and get my a$$ to Peoria.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back