Should Marijuana Be Legalized?

Should Marijuana Be Legalized?

• No, it is an illegal gate way drug. Keep the laws right here.

Votes: 31 21.5%
  • Yes, for adults. Tax and regulate it.

Votes: 109 75.7%
  • Maybe, if more studies are done.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • What is marijuana anyway?

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
Pot makes you stupid, there is a reason they call it dope.

And alcoholics are rocket scientists? :dunno:

It is man's nature to seek an altered state. Wheather flying, sex, working hard, body building, religion, social networking, alcohol, drugs, we all seek betterment, enlightenment, or an alternate state. It is who we are.

Last edited:
Personally I voted."No, it is an illegal gate way drug. Keep the laws right here. "..

In this day and age of no responsibility of most kids and ALOT of adults I would say pot will get more people in trouble then not... IMHO..

FWIW I think it's only a "gateway drug" because it's illegal. Doing illegal things is cool, or so the kids think...

FWIW I think it's only a "gateway drug" because it's illegal. Doing illegal things is cool, or so the kids think...

And it gets people used to the idea of breaking the law to feel good

Speaking as a libertarian and a guy who flew many many many hours of interdiction patrols, if we would examine the history of Prohibition we would learn that if there is a market there will be a supply. Legalize and tax. The money we have spent on this futile attempt to legislate morality is staggering.

As somebody that tried it twice, and it had no effect (positive or negative) on me, legalize it. I'm not to keen on:

Expending ridiculous amounts of money in prohibition.
Constantly expanding police seizure powers
The cost of incarcerating casual users that aren't committing other crimes

The trick is: people are getting enriched from those three things. As long as police and businesses get money from 'enforcement' there is no incentive to change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why should the government have the authority to tell an adult what they can or cannot do to their body?

None of the above. Legalize it but don't regulate it. Simply repeal all federal marihuana laws so cannabis is just another agricultural commodity. Then let states decide what they want to do about it.

-Rich

The plus side of legalizing it would mean all the crap like "bath salts" and huffing would then be unnecessary. People wouldn't have to sneak around looking for other stuff to burn for a high that could kill you.
Pharmaceutical grade Mj, legal, OTC, and taxed. It would create a new industry while killing off a whole bunch of bureaucrats.

Why should the government have the authority to tell an adult what they can or cannot do to their body?

That argument is ONLY allowed when discussing abortion. Every other form of government control is considered evolved.

Pharmaceutical grade Mj, legal, OTC, and taxed. It would create a new industry while killing off a whole bunch of bureaucrats.

The state of Colorado is already proof that legalizing it only creates a new buerocracy without getting rid of any of the old ones.

The state of Colorado is already proof that legalizing it only creates a new buerocracy without getting rid of any of the old ones.

Since the Feds still aren't onside I suspect that is part of the reason Colorado still hasn't gotten rid of some of the old buracracy.

It would create a new industry while killing off a whole bunch of bureaucrats.

Dontchaknow that a bureaucrat can't be killt? Them critters spend their entire lives just surviving...it's like whack-a-mole, ya get rid of one and two more pop up!

That argument is ONLY allowed when discussing abortion. Every other form of government control is considered evolved.

Abortion on a marijuana thread? Really? Don't you see an unhealthy trend? Seek help.

Abortion on a marijuana thread? Really? Don't you see an unhealthy trend? Seek help.

Valid point about the 'keep your laws off my body' line. If that notion is enough to justify abortion why not pot, or prostitution? You can stick a vacuum cleaner up there and suck out a fetus because it is your body but can't smoke a stupid plant? Makes sense, not.:lol:

No vote from me in a biased poll, but if you enjoy seeing your money going to support some drug cartel have a smoke.

If you want to see your money going to support some drug cartel, vote to keep it illegal.

If you want to see your money going to support some drug cartel, vote to keep it illegal.

Yes I agree..How about all the people behind bars for life because of the 3 strike rule and all they did was smoke some of this stuff.

We need to let these people out of prison the ones in for smoking this stuff.

I surprised the results of the poll are so pro-legalisation given this is a pilot forum. I would have guessed a slight majority for the 'keep it illegal'.

I surprised the results of the poll are so pro-legalisation given this is a pilot forum. I would have guessed a slight majority for the 'keep it illegal'.

perhaps ingroup bias here, I'd guess pilots are smart enough to know better, for the country and themselves. Do you love freedom? Just your kind right?

Yes I agree..How about all the people behind bars for life because of the 3 strike rule and all they did was smoke some of this stuff.

We need to let these people out of prison the ones in for smoking this stuff.

There are inmates serving life sentences at $90k a year of your tax $$$ because they got caught with a joint. :mad2:

There are 100,000 inmates in prison for first time pot use, all at the expense of the tax payer. :mad2:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/07/life-sentence-for-marijuana_n_3403504.html

I am too....happily so. It shows that at least a fair number of folks are waking up to the realities of the situation.

There are inmates serving life sentences at $90k a year of your tax $$$ because they got caught with a joint. :mad2:

There are 100,000 inmates in prison for first time pot use, all at the expense of the tax payer. :mad2:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/07/life-sentence-for-marijuana_n_3403504.html

It's not about the cost of keeping an inmate, it's about providing another government job. How many government employees are involved in an inmates life from the moment of arrest to time of release from parole?

-John

It's not about the cost of keeping an inmate, it's about providing another government job. How many government employees are involved in an inmates life from the moment of arrest to time of release from parole?

-John

For smoking pot? One is too many. ;)

But your point is not lost at all! :no:

No change is possible, as there is far too much power and money involved in keeping the ear on drugs Scam going.

You don't have to infer anything. I just would have guessed it would be closer to even, that's all.

Since the Feds still aren't onside I suspect that is part of the reason Colorado still hasn't gotten rid of some of the old buracracy.

The street whispers are that the Feds made a deal with the governor. Sign the nutty gun prohibitionist's laws to keep Uncle Moneybags Bloomberg happy out east here, and we won't unleash Eric Holder on your State's ass over the Mary Jane thing nor start reassigning "troops" to Colorado.

It's one of the more plausible tin-foil hat stories I've heard in quite a while. Has all the right follow-the-money ingredients, and plays into National gun prohibitionist's strategy nicely.

Most pilots are FISCALLY conservative BECAUSE they're pragmatists first. The sad reality that the only Party that claims fiscal conservatism (while spending similar amounts of money as their Fed money-orgy cousins across the aisle) means pilots lean that way politically.

Personally, given a real choice, I would certainly jettison FCINO's. (Fiscal conservatives in Name Only.)

Most pilots are FISCALLY conservative BECAUSE they're pragmatists first.
Pilots are realists. Reality does not care about your wants or preferences.

** Engine out, you'll travel the maximum distance at best glide speed. You may want to go a little farther by pulling the nose up, but it won't happen.
** You either have enough fuel to reach your destination, or you don't. Staring at the fuel gauge and hoping with all your might will not change rate of burn and fuel remaining.
** As the PIC, you are responsible for everything that happens to the airplane and its contents. Period.

Hence:
** There's no more money. It doesn't matter how good an idea a new project/program may be, there's no money to pay for it.
** Prohibition doesn't work, it just wastes money and resources.
** We don't have the money to waste.
** Illicit sales funnel money into street gangs and drug cartels.

I like your answer but I've not known many pilots who don't make any attempt to make things better. Strict realism makes no attempt. Pragmatism will make the attempt but also realizes that some things never change.

** You either have enough fuel to reach your destination, or you don't. Staring at the fuel gauge and hoping with all your might will not change rate of burn and fuel remaining.
And yet, the fuel exhaustion accident records suggest that too many of us haven't wised up to that reality. So, to say that pilots are realists seems to entail a bit of wishful thinking (in and of itself).

The pragmatist survives that one. "I think we could easily make this fuel gauge look a lot better by landing and refueling. I can't change the fuel burn rate but I can get more!"

;)

And yet, the fuel exhaustion accident records suggest that too many of us haven't wised up to that reality. So, to say that pilots are realists seems to entail a bit of wishful thinking (in and of itself).

Well, in any population there is a bell curve ...........

I don't understand it, personally.

I decided to run this same poll on the picture framing industry forum, I did it a few days ago . Here is what it is at so far.

No, it is an illegal gateway drug, keep the laws as they are. 3- 8.11%
Yes, for adults, tax it and regulate it. 30- 81.08%
Maybe, if more studies are done. 3- 8.11%
What is marijuana anyway? 1- 2.70%

Thought y'all might be interested.

-John

How many picture framers decided it was a 'push poll' and abstained completely?

; \)

Yes, it's no different or worse than tobacco or alcohol.

And the criminalization of it has its roots in the textile industry wanting to get rid of hemp as a competitor.

Back