Should Marijuana Be Legalized?

Should Marijuana Be Legalized?

• No, it is an illegal gate way drug. Keep the laws right here.

Votes: 31 21.5%
  • Yes, for adults. Tax and regulate it.

Votes: 109 75.7%
  • Maybe, if more studies are done.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • What is marijuana anyway?

Votes: 3 2.1%

• Total voters
Some of you guys must be super fun at a party...

Hi nice to meet you, I'm a 420 unfriendly, teetotaling, fiscally conservative.... oh, OK, I'll say it, cheap, pilot with a very firm grasp of reality.

How about you buy me a diet Coke and I'll give you some life guidance in return?

I'm torn between the two evils, legalize it, and tax it and you start a new black market.
Try to fight the drug war, and it is a loosing game we have never won, starting with alcohol.

yet we have enough legal drugs to effect the health and safety all americans.

It's a loose loose situation.

Or we could do what the Chinese did. provide the drug free of costs, find out who used, then shoot every one of them, no users, no market, no problem. then make the possession of it a capital offense at the local level.

Last edited:
Or we could do what the Chinese did. provide the drug free of costs, find out who used, then shoot every one of them, no users, no market, no problem. then make the possession of it a capital offense at the local level.

...or we could choose to live in a free society where the individual has the right to choose how they get from cradle to grave. The Communist Chinese are not who I would look to for guidance on civil liberties.

...or we could choose to live in a free society where the individual has the right to choose how they get from cradle to grave. The Communist Chinese are not who I would look to for guidance on civil liberties.

But China has no drug problem.

If the courts would hold individuals responsible for their actions we wouldn't either.

I'm torn between the two evils, legalize it, and tax it and you start a new black market.
Try to fight the drug war, and it is a loosing game we have never won, starting with alcohol.

yet we have enough legal drugs to effect the health and safety all americans.

It's a loose loose situation.

Just tax it at such a rate that it is cheaper to just pay the tax than try and dodge it.

Not that the government would ever figgure that one out:mad2:

BS. Humans have a drug problem. It might be homemade rice wine, or sniffing Commie solvents, but China has a drug problem. There is no authoritarian or cultural cure for the human condition. Are we to believe the world's greatest opium fans live straight?

China has no drug problem just like Iran has no homosexuals.

If the courts would hold individuals responsible for their actions we wouldn't either.

That is a ridiculous statement. China is not only a major transit route for opium and other drugs to Russia,Europe and the US but they have big problems with heroin,meth,opium use. Do a bit of research before posting something like that.

That is a ridiculous statement. China is not only a major transit route for opium and other drugs to Russia,Europe and the US but they have big problems with heroin,meth,opium use. Do a bit of research before posting something like that.

Granted they have crime there too. but you get caught with drugs in China and see what happens to you.

Granted they have crime there too. but you get caught with drugs in China and see what happens to you.

Same all over S. America, yet somehow drugs still exist.

I think we're putting people in jail for WAY too long over small amounts (personal use) and I think you should be able to do whatever you want [to yourself] in your own home.

But fully 'legal' meaning one can buy it from the local grocery store or that employers cannot refuse to hire you if they find it in your system - NO.

I think we're putting people in jail for WAY too long over small amounts (personal use) and I think you should be able to do whatever you want [to yourself] in your own home.

But fully 'legal' meaning one can buy it from the local grocery store or that employers cannot refuse to hire you if they find it in your system - NO.

'Fully legal' means you can buy it in a grocery store? Crap, I got a lot of stuff I gotta get rid of!

I'm not being a douche. I'm pointing out that you're saying 'No' to fully legal meaning you can buy it in a grocery store. I don't think that's how it would work. I think it would be more like other controlled items like liquor. (I know some States allow liquor sales in grocery stores, but you get the idea).

Sorry if it came off douchy.

Simply because of the slap on the wrist mentally of the court system.
Sorry dude, there are a ton of drug happy countries where death is the penalty for getting caught with drugs and the chance of a fair trial(if any) is much less then what we are supposed to have. Your stupid idea does not work, has not worked in the past, and will never work in the future.

Sorry dude, there are a ton of drug happy countries where death is the penalty for getting caught with drugs and the chance of a fair trial(if any) is much less then what we are supposed to have. Your stupid idea does not work, has not worked in the past, and will never work in the future.

+1

+2?

Yes yes....they have strict penalties....and they also have rehab programs...and your comment still has no relevance to the poll or discussion of this thread.
If you want to debate the merits of the different judicial sanctions dealing with drug use and possession maybe you should start a whole new thread.

Well the poll here suggests most people are in favor of legalization and some form of taxation/regulation. Opinion polls I've seen in the news and the general opinions I've heard from people I know suggest this is pretty close to the true public opinion.

Seems like inertia is the only reason it hasn't been legalized nationwide.

No, because prohibition doesn't work. Never has. :no:
History shows prohibition can work, if it is backed by real and immediate capital punishment.

That's neither possible nor desirable in a representative republic, which narrows the remaining options a bit.

Lets say you 1) ram somebody, total their car and kill them. Because:

2) you were drunk,

3) you were stoned,

4) you were unqualified to drive,

5) you were talking on your cell phone, or

6) you had road rage.

All that counts is 1). Punish that. The rest is irrelevant.

History shows prohibition can work, if it is backed by real and immediate capital punishment.

That's neither possible nor desirable in a representative republic, which narrows the remaining options a bit.

Where has that worked? Or is it that 100% of the people caught were 'cured.' Caught being the key to the statistic.

We worry more about smoking a weed than the fact that 80% of Americans take a prescription drug daily and our late-night TV is wall to wall ads for class-action suits being brought against the legal drug pushers.

We don't have our heads in the sand, or anything. Nothing to see here, move along!

Would you mind elaborateing please. Maybe some specific examples?

Had this question been asked 10 years ago, I suspect you'd find the numbers reversed. But its pretty telling that the gap is this wide on a site that is filled with mostly conservatives.

Legalize that **** now. We don't need stupid laws.

I don't use drugs, and worry that my grandkids might have easier access to them if they were legal, but I think the downside of the "war on drugs" is of far greater concern.

It's pretty clear to me that legal penalties do little to make drugs less accessible, but much to drive up their prices and make black-market entrepreneurs wealthy.

Last year here in Utah, six cops were shot in a pot bust on a guy's house. One cop died, and the resident, who was also shot, committed suicide in jail. I think society might be harmed less if we let people smoke the stuff.

There's also an entire segment of society hell-bent on limiting our freedoms, and they thrive on these laws. I'd just as soon cut off the blood flow to that tumor, too.

I don't use drugs, and worry that my grandkids might have easier access to them if they were legal, but I think the downside of the "war on drugs" is of far greater concern.

That's easy. Grandpa's rules about underaged drinking were:

- You and your friends feel some stupid need to do it, you do it here. We will make sure you and your friends are safe if you're that stupid.

Or...

- If you're stupid enough to do it somewhere else, you call here any time day or night for a ride to a bed/safe place no questions asked. We will talk about your stupidity in the morning.

It doesn't lower the risk of sexual assault, for parents of daughters, but I suspect grandpa's rules would have been the same anyway.

Note the message always included the "stupid" adjective. Guess how I described most drunken keggers in the mountains I heard about, or was invited to in high school? Yep.

Stupid was typically the word that came out of my mouth.

Dad was a little tougher. "Need a ride, I'll be there. We will discuss at length both on the way home and during your hangover the next morning when we get up at 5 to do chores. If you get hauled off to jail, call and I'll know you're safe and I'll be down to get you in the morning after I get some sleep."

Access isn't the problem. Bad decisions (e.g. Grandpa's "stupid") are. Teach good decisions and the access won't matter.

Back