Should I go with Part 141 or 61?

Skydreamer2015

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Skydreamer2015
I am about to get real serious about my flight training and knock out my IR through to MEI. I just curious what everyone can tell me about which way I should go as far as Part 141 or Part 61. My "short" term goal is to get in the right seat on a regional and I know there are some internship programs in place with some of the regionals that require Part 141 to be in the program. The program is designed to be a pathway to be a FO the respective regional. Other than for the programs should I still do 141? Does it make any difference to the regionals or majors? I will also be getting my degree as I finish up my training so I will have that in place for the majors. Thanks!

Do it the @DavidWhite way. That kid went from zero to hero in about 6 years, had a huge amount of fun, gained even larger amounts of quality experience, and made really good money as he went along (especially as someone under 25 years of age). And I think the debt load was also minimal.

Doesn't matter if you come from a 61 or 141, go wherever is the cheapest.

Doesn't matter if you come from a 61 or 141, go wherever is the cheapest.
And much depends on the instructor you're paired with. Really good and really awful CFI's haunt both areas...

Network with the other pilots in your area, share with them your objective(s). When you start hearing the same name as one of the good ones, seek him/her out.

... I know there are some internship programs in place with some of the regionals that require Part 141 to be in the program. The program is designed to be a pathway to be a FO the respective regional. ....

Who told you that malarkey?

Regionals just want a ATP and a pulse.

Personally, I'm a Pt61 kind of guy, but I'm also one of the nuts that would tell you to get your PPL in a glider and/or tailwheel and fly across the entire country to build hours.

You'll also find a highly experienced pilots who are CFIing, tend to not be Pt 141

He's probably referencing the bridge programs Regionals have with 141 flight schools such as those at a college. I know the airline I used to fly at (ASA) has numerous bridge programs with quite a few college flight programs. Also has the benefit of reducing the 1500 hours required.

Last edited:

Personally, I'm a Pt61 kind of guy, but I'm also one of the nuts that would tell you to get your PPL in a glider and/or tailwheel and fly across the entire country to build hours.

You'll also find a highly experienced pilots who are CFIing, tend to not be Pt 141

The new Aviator Internship Program with TSA requires that you have your PPL when you enroll in the program and that you complete your remaining training under Part 141 and all the training done with the same school.

How did they bypass the congressional ATP requirement for 121 crew?

There is absolutely ZERO requirement to come from 141 to get hired by ANY airline, regional or otherwise.

Now, some of the 'reduced' ATP mins programs have to have been done under 141, but there are some other stipulations as well. 141 alone is not going to cut it.

Do whatever is cheapest. The whole "bridge" program that some schools have with regionals don't hold much value. They are taking anyone with ATP mins regardless if you completed your training 61 or 141.

Last edited:
How did they bypass the congressional ATP requirement for 121 crew?

As usual you comment as though you know what the airlines want. If you'd read the reg you'd know the answer to your question, but I'll provide a summary for you:

Airline transport pilot
An airline transport pilot (commonly called an "ATP") is tested to the highest level of piloting ability. The certificate is a prerequisite for acting as a flight crew-member in scheduled airline operations.

The minimum pilot experience is 1,500 hours of flight time (1200 for Helicopters), 500 hours of cross-country flight time, 100 hours of night flight time, and 75 hours instrument operations time (simulated or actual). Other requirements include being 23 years of age, an instrument rating, being able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language, a rigorous written examination, and being of good moral character.[18]

An Airline Transport Pilot - restricted (ATP-r) is also available for pilots that do not meet the more rigorous requirements of an ATP. The only hour requirement for the ATP-r is 1,500 total and 200 cross country. The "total time" requirement is reduced to 750 hours for former military pilots, 1,000 hours for graduates of university bachelor's degree programs, or 1,250 for graduates of university associate degree programs. The holder of an ATP-r is limited to only serving as the First Officer in a two pilot operation. Upon obtaining the requisite age and aeronautical experience, the pilot is issued an unrestricted ATP without further examination. see 14CFR61.160 (requirements) and 14CFR61.167(privileges and limitations)

You're welcome.

As usual you comment as though you know what the airlines want. If you'd read the reg you'd know the answer to your question, but I'll provide a summary for you:

Airline transport pilot
An airline transport pilot (commonly called an "ATP") is tested to the highest level of piloting ability. The certificate is a prerequisite for acting as a flight crew-member in scheduled airline operations.

The minimum pilot experience is 1,500 hours of flight time (1200 for Helicopters), 500 hours of cross-country flight time, 100 hours of night flight time, and 75 hours instrument operations time (simulated or actual). Other requirements include being 23 years of age, an instrument rating, being able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language, a rigorous written examination, and being of good moral character.[18]

An Airline Transport Pilot - restricted (ATP-r) is also available for pilots that do not meet the more rigorous requirements of an ATP. The only hour requirement for the ATP-r is 1,500 total and 200 cross country. The "total time" requirement is reduced to 750 hours for former military pilots, 1,000 hours for graduates of university bachelor's degree programs, or 1,250 for graduates of university associate degree programs. The holder of an ATP-r is limited to only serving as the First Officer in a two pilot operation. Upon obtaining the requisite age and aeronautical experience, the pilot is issued an unrestricted ATP without further examination. see 14CFR61.160 (requirements) and 14CFR61.167(privileges and limitations)

You're welcome.

Is that any bachelor's? Like let's say I have a B.A. in basket weaving?

ATP requirements are really strange, it doesn't make much sense, I must be missing somthing.

Airline transport pilot

You're welcome.

That's cute

So if I go to the average 141 school I qualify for that?

What percentage of schools qualify for RATP

So I get a complementary BA degree or military "status" just because I went to a 141?

You're right, I have no idea what anyone wants in the industry...

You two are something else. Provide you the information that you're unaware of and all you do is try to be funny? Right. Ignorance is bliss I guess. :rolleyes:

Do it the @DavidWhite way. That kid went from zero to hero in about 6 years, had a huge amount of fun, gained even larger amounts of quality experience, and made really good money as he went along (especially as someone under 25 years of age). And I think the debt load was also minimal.

Was curious what you meant by that and looked him up. First thread I came across he owned his own 172. That would cut down on time significantly.

You two are something else. Provide you the information that you're unaware of and all you do is try to be funny? Right. Ignorance is bliss I guess. :rolleyes:

I truly have no idea on how the ATP works....honestly.

I truly have no idea on how the ATP works....honestly.
In a nutshell: Bachelor's in a aviation you qualify for 1000 hours. Associate's in aviation you qualify for 1250. military pilot you qualify for 750. All others you need 1500.

In a nutshell: Bachelor's in a aviation you qualify for 1000 hours. Associate's in aviation you qualify for 1250. military pilot you qualify for 750. All others you need 1500.

So, since I have a B.S. from a business school I would only need 1000 hours for the ATP?

I understand the ATP rules, heck I'm a member of the club too.

The thing is what you mentioned has zero bearing on the mass majority of 141 schools, for the MAJORITY of 141 CPLs, airlines wise, it won't make a difference had they been 61 or 141, doubt the interview would even as if they were trained 141, or care, I know if my career not one person has ever asked.

As usual you're missing the whole point of these bridge programs. An airline has an agreement w/ a particular college with a specific curriculum and some may require the flight training to be under 141. It's not referring to every 141 school/FBO in the country, just those that particular airline wants to use and these are usually at colleges that have aviation programs. For instance Auburn is one my old airline has an agreement with. Graduating from these programs can lower the 1500 hours as I showed in post 12 above. It's all there w/ references. These programs are what the OP was referencing when he mentioned 141. I don't know how I can explain it any clearer.

As usual you're missing the whole point of these bridge programs. An airline has an agreement w/ a particular college with a specific curriculum and some may require the flight training to be under 141. It's not referring to every 141 school/FBO in the country, just those that particular airline wants to use and these are usually at colleges that have aviation programs. For instance Auburn is one my old airline has an agreement with. Graduating from these programs can lower the 1500 hours as I showed in post 12 above. It's all there w/ references. These programs are what the OP was referencing when he mentioned 141. I don't know how I can explain it any clearer.

Oh sweet baby jesus

Look, you're still going to need a ATP of some flavor to get that sweet regional 121 FO gig.

Regardless of bridge programs, nowadays if you have any type of ATP, you don't need a "in" to get in a regional, hence the bridge 141 program is more marketing than anything else.

Whatever dude. I put the reference and tried :rolleyes: to explain the program, so I can do no more. Done.

PPL - go part 61 (local mom and pop school)
IRA - go part 141, to skip the 50hrs XC reqmnt

COMM - going COMM depends on how you fly after getting the IRA and your end goal. There are many cheap part 141 options out there for the 120hr part 141 comm course.

So for a total of 35K you are PP IR and COMM, and for another 5K (many cheap CFI schools out there) you can get the CFI and CFII.
And add the MEI later if you so choose.

Most people think they have to spend 70K (without interest) at certain schools to be a pilot,
well you don't. A good pilot only needs 45K max to get all their certs.
And YES you can start part 61 PP and go part 141 IRA. Most people also think that once they start part 61 and complete part 61 PPL that they are stuck in part 61, well thats not true.

Back