Should I File IFR Or Just Stay VFR?

jordane93

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jordan
so im doing a short x country tomorrow from KFRG to KSWF. looking at weather forecasts and TAF's seems like the clouds will be at around 3500-6000 along the route of flight and being scattered and few. the freezing level will probably be around 4000. the problem comes whenever im headed straight for a cloud i would have to request a deviation to go around that cloud and that could become a regular occurance since the clouds will be scattered. so should i file ifr and ask for the deviations or just go vfr up to stewart? im tryng to get in a few more ifr flights before winter and wanted some suggestions or advice. thanks in advanced for your help!

so im doing a short x country tomorrow from KFRG to KSWF. looking at weather forecasts and TAF's seems like the clouds will be at around 3500-6000 along the route of flight and being scattered and few. the freezing level will probably be around 4000. the problem comes whenever im headed straight for a cloud i would have to request a deviation to go around that cloud and that could become a regular occurance since the clouds will be scattered. so should i file ifr and ask for the deviations or just go vfr up to stewart? im tryng to get in a few more ifr flights before winter and wanted some suggestions or advice. thanks in advanced for your help!

With the freezing level and the highish clouds just go VFR.

If you want to deviate around clouds go VFR.

File IFR so you have it if you need it. You never know how wrong the forecast will be. Now if the weather is as you forecast I personally would just stay VFR. You can always cancel or just get flight following. And if you are IFR and need to deviate, just remember: nobody ever 'chinked' around an ugly looking cloud, and if the cloud's too big to cheat: ATC works for you

Last edited:
File IFR so you have it if you need it. You never know how wrong the forecast will be. Now if the weather is as you forecast I personally would just stay VFR. You can always cancel or just get flight following. And if you are IFR and need to deviate, just remember: nobody ever 'chinked' around an ugly looking cloud, and if the cloud's too big to cheat: ATC works for you

ATC works for you and also for the traffic that may preclude your deviation.

thanks for the advice guys. ill file and then get some up to date weather tomorrow morning. i mght even pick up the ifr clearance in the air if wx improves

thanks for the advice guys. ill file and then get some up to date weather tomorrow morning. i mght even pick up the ifr clearance in the air if wx improves

Keep in mind you can also use flight following and pull a clearance enroute if needed.

I'd file IFR, then cancel and stay with flight following if it became too difficult or tedious to deviate as needed. The flight is so short, you'll probably be landing before you could pick up an IFR enroute if they make you file via flight service.

You can always go VFR with flight following,if weather goes down ask for an IFR letdown.

File IFR at 3000. If you don't fly for a living, odds are you need all the IFR procedures practice you can get, so take the opportunity. If you're headed for a cloud in which you think there's icing, tell ATC what you need -- they'll respond appropriately. If you can't stand it, cancel IFR and go where you feel it's safe.

File IFR at 3000. If you don't fly for a living, odds are you need all the IFR procedures practice you can get, so take the opportunity. If you're headed for a cloud in which you think there's icing, tell ATC what you need -- they'll respond appropriately. If you can't stand it, cancel IFR and go where you feel it's safe.
This. My first XC after getting my IFR ticket it was below freezing, with a thin layer of low stratocumulus clouds. Like the OP, I was afraid I'd get iced up, so afraid that I didn't even file. As it turns out there were lots of holes, but I was afraid of getting iced up on the way down if it closed up, so I didn't go on top. Instead I sat through one of the bumpiest rides I've had in many a year.

The next XC I filed, even though it was, again, well below freezing and I didn't want to encounter any IMC. I found that ATC was very accommodating, with a few minutes advance notice they allowed me diversions to avoid most of the puffies (not all though, and did experience a few fleeting moments of actual on the way, but nowhere near enough to pick up ice).

Yes, they might not be able to accommodate you on a moment's notice. So give them plenty of warning if you'll need to divert around something, be prepared with a plan B at all times, and don't get trapped somewhere you can't cancel and continue VFR.

i went ifr to kswf then went back vfr. clouds were ovc at 7000. they asked me to climb to 7000 but i requested to stay at 5000 for possible icing conditions. controller was very accomidating and said it was alright. another plane passed through that ovc layer and he said there was negative icing. but better safe then sorry. smooth flight and got the visual int swf. it was also really cool to see c 17's on the ground at swf

if ifr certified, file. it takes 3 minutes.

it may also take 30 min to get out of the airport IFR.

Other things to consider:

Freezing level
what altitude will they want you at IFr [look on the sectional for MEA]
turbulence below the deck
Will it be broken or scattered? You can avoid ice in a scattered deck by flying between the clouds and telling ATC you need to doisedo around them if you are not all the way on top

there are other issues than the simple - IFR / VFR = with the type of weather seen [winter temps aloft but a warmer lower atmosphere] they often forecast SCT but get BKN/OVC and lots of moisture in the clouds - bad icing - plus VERY turbulent below the cap or condensation level.

Sell your plane and buy one with anti ice and certified into known icing. Flying around those city pairs with a schedule in IMC is trouble. You're either a weekend clear sky warrior or you can fly in the crud. Get the equipment to do the mission or be able to easily scrub the mission.

Or, scud run...

Good luck

I don't understand? Clouds are 3500 and above? Fly VFR at 2500 feet and there isn't a problem. Why make things difficult?

Sell your plane and buy one with anti ice and certified into known icing. Flying around those city pairs with a schedule in IMC is trouble. You're either a weekend clear sky warrior or you can fly in the crud. Get the equipment to do the mission or be able to easily scrub the mission.
Did the OP say he was flying on a schedule? If so, I must have missed it...

About a week ago, we were flying in clear, cold air. Picked up ice anyway. Watch out for that.

I don't understand? Clouds are 3500 and above? Fly VFR at 2500 feet and there isn't a problem. Why make things difficult?

Not everyone enjoys flying down low. Fewer options, especially in an urban area, and possibly very bumpy depending on the time of day/year. Then, of course, you have the concern (especially as a newish IFR pilot) that you may come across some clouds a thousand feet lower than forecast, which leaves you flying at 1500-2000 feet and starting to think about your limited options....

If the clouds are at 3500 I'd prefer to fly above them if the tops are low enough, but like the OP my concern would become getting back down through a solid layer in cold weather.

Back