Shotgun Thread

I have an Ithaca Model 87 Featherlight. It takes 3” shells. Good bird gun, I dunno. I don’t think the bird does either. Why 3” shells? Do you have a bunch of them?

I was mainly stipulating that if I buy a 12ga shotgun, I'd want to have the capability to shoot 3" shells (as well as the 2.75"). Getting an older shotgun that only shoots the 2.75" shells could be a bit more problematic finding ammo when there are runs on ammo (kind of like right now). I don't know that there's any reason to step up to a shotgun chambered for 3.5" shells.

I can technically shoot on my four acres, but as there are neighborhoods abutting, I don't want to come up on police radar. Unless I run out of food, then deer.

We can’t technically shoot here, under the acreage limit by about half.

But I suspect we’d organize a neighborhood turkey shoot if this silliness extends too long. LOL.

9a39e18c8f7bc56489a13861049ef6d0.jpg

I can't fire weapons on my property, but there is a private gun range 1/2 mile away as well as the Arkansas River about 1/2 mile away as well. We here plenty of gunfire during the evenings/weekends and think nothing of it. There is nothing South of our neighborhood but wheat/sod farmland so there's plenty of room nearby to go out and shoot for practice.

Another option is an M1 carbine if your local laws allow it. Its .30 caliber round is basically an oversize pistol round, making it easy and fun to shoot, and much easier to handle than a pistol. It was issued to support troops who weren't expected to need a weapon but should have one "just in case" so they needed something that could be effective without much training. If you manage to empty the 30 round magazine there's always the bayonet... :eek:

Speaking of piston caliber carbines, I have a Beretta CX4 Storm chambered in 9mm. So much fun to shoot.

upload_2020-4-8_19-51-20.jpeg

The likelihood of needing it is awesomely low.

If this is true, then it might not be worth having since having it has attached dangers too.

How to make yourself popular on PoA :)

Another option is an M1 carbine if your local laws allow it. Its .30 caliber round is basically an oversize pistol round, making it easy and fun to shoot, and much easier to handle than a pistol. It was issued to support troops who weren't expected to need a weapon but should have one "just in case" so they needed something that could be effective without much training. If you manage to empty the 30 round magazine there's always the bayonet... :eek:
Funny you should bring that up....just yesterday went out and fired a bunch of .380ACP pistol rounds then a bunch of M1 Carbine rounds, and found the M1 MUCH more satisfying. Groups were a bit high but distance was short.

Is it really legal there? Here, we have setback requirements from public roads and property lines, which means you are basically closed down if you're in a subdivision.

I checked both the county map in the sheriff's office (a ham radio buddy worked there until he retired) and the on-line listing of the entire county. Yup, it would be legal (and as I said, not smart or safe at all).

I was mainly stipulating that if I buy a 12ga shotgun, I'd want to have the capability to shoot 3" shells (as well as the 2.75"). Getting an older shotgun that only shoots the 2.75" shells could be a bit more problematic finding ammo when there are runs on ammo (kind of like right now). I don't know that there's any reason to step up to a shotgun chambered for 3.5" shells.

Good thinking. 3.5”, never heard of that. Something to look up. 3 1/2 inchers may have solved this problem

If this is true, then it might not be worth having since having it has attached dangers too.

How to make yourself popular on PoA :)

I see no significant dangers in having it, and have no idea what the last sentence is about?

Don’t get to shoot my Lone Eagle pistol in 30.06 anymore... No space and ranges around here don’t want me on them with it. Drives too many other shooters off when it gets used.

Good thinking. 3.5”, never heard of that. Something to look up. 3 1/2 inchers may have solved this problem

Lol yeah I’ve read the 3.5” is mostly a load to take down larger fowl at longer distances (geese/mallard outside of 50yds). Kind of a shell to bridge the gap between a 12ga and a 10ga. However, they reportedly have a noticeably increased recoil/kick over the 3” magnum shells. I can’t see needing that capability for my purposes.

Lol yeah I’ve read the 3.5” is mostly a load to take down larger fowl at longer distances (geese/mallard outside of 50yds). Kind of a shell to bridge the gap between a 12ga and a 10ga. However, they reportedly have a noticeably increased recoil/kick over the 3” magnum shells. I can’t see needing that capability for my purposes.

You also loose some velocity - Far better off to spend a little more for the high-end tungsten than go to 3 1/2". I don't hunt enough waterfowl locally to worry about the extra cost and when we're in Alberta 3" steel #2s are the standard load and we shoot a LOT of them. The outfitter buys them by the pallet.

Back