Short Story: What would you do- W&B decision

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
You plan to take family on a 2 week vacation while your plane gets its annual. You want to try a new shop that came highly recommended for finding previously undiscovered problems just to get a second opinion. After all, the plane has never given any trouble whatsoever except inconsistent readings from the right fuel tank gauge. All the avionics work, are IFR certified and the engine has been a consistently strong performer and with your diligent care hardly burns oil, is miserly on fuel and you have been bragging to your friends about the compression readings and oil analysis results for several years.

After only 9 days the shop calls. The airplane is ready, the bill is only $400, and they found and fixed the loose wire to the fuel gauge for free. You're impressed by their level of service and attention to detail and will happily recommend them in the future, even though they are quite a ways away in your slow 4-seater airplane...but at least the airport where they're located is nice with its Jet type FBO and 5600 ft main runway with 2 crosswind runways with nearly 5000ft lengths.

The family doesn't want to end the vacation early, but you've been watching the weather and in about 2 days a really NASTY storm is coming and there are rumors of evacuation of the tourist town. So you decide that today is the last day of vacation and you promise to make it up after getting back home. You plan to depart the next morning.

After considering all the extra stuff the family buys, and the extra meals everyone ate, you weigh everything and everybody and plan your fuel load. The W&B is right in the middle of the range and exactly at gross with fuel + reserves, so no complaints- you've flown at gross several times before and the plane is usually aloft and climbing after 13-1500 ft of runway. You go to bed satisfied that all is ready for tomorrow's flight; you have even already checked the fuel load and verified that it is at the proper level, 19 gal of space remaining.

You awake early, settle all vacation bills and check the weather reports. The barometer is reading an inch higher but you discover that your 20kt tailwind is actually a 22kt headwind at your planned altitude and you will need to add another 100lbs of fuel to make the flight in one hop. In fact, the way the storm system has evolved, your previously planned midway possible fuel stop is no longer doable and you will have to take the long way around where there is no fuel.

A week later, you're at your home field telling this story. Everyone was listening attentively and despeartely wants to know what you did to make this a safe flight? Please tell...

You flew as close to the system as was safe, put down, and stayed until the thing passed. either that or drove home.

Well, you've only got a few options if you're going to make the trip by air

1. Take on extra fuel and depart overgross
2. Stop somewhere enroute for fuel, even if that takes you out of your way
3. Wait (at departure or enroute stop) for weather/wind to be favorable.
4. Leave someone/something behind.

2-4 can all work and are legal.
1 is not legal, though many folks probably have done it (some without knowing it I'll bet)

The W&B is right in the middle of the range and exactly at gross with fuel + reserves,
19 gal of space remaining.
you will need to add another 100lbs of fuel to make the flight in one hop.
previously planned midway possible fuel stop is no longer doable and you will have to take the long way around where there is no fuel.
A week later...

Sounds like you waited a week.

You didn't tell the story, because that's not the sort of story one tells at an airport.

A week later, you're sitting around with the guys at the airport complaining about how that $400 annual the plane came out of in worse condition than it went in, and the headwinds that forced you to make an extra fuel stop.

The first think you did was to take it up for about an hour solo to make sure nothing got boogered up during the maintainance before you loaded up the family and took off for the trip home.

The first think you did was to take it up for about an hour solo to make sure nothing got boogered up during the maintainance before you loaded up the family and took off for the trip home.
One would sure hope so.

Personally, I would never try to incorporate an annual into family vacation plans. Especially if the point of trying the new shop is because they have a reputation for finding previously undiagnosed problems. That is just asking for trouble your travel plans.

What was the plan if the shop found an airworthiness issue that required a part with a 2 month lead time, eh?

You took the family to a quiet little place out of harm's way, waited until the nasty storm passed, and then had a quiet uneventful flight home.

You might not have told the story that way though. You might have said that you took on 50 extra lbs of fuel, went the long way around but stayed low where you had that 20 kt tailwind, and got home in one leg. When someone objects that they didn't see you until today, you say you got back after dark, and spent the rest of the vacation working at home.

If there's 100 pounds or more of luggage, ship it home.

Let the family spend the rest of the vaction in town and buy them airline tickets for the ride home.
Take the scenic way home and stop and get gas when I need and enjoy my vacation flying around having fun.
When the wifes asks why tell her you did not feel safe with her and the family in the plane after the annual. You need to take the plane on a good test flight to make sure everyting is OK.
So family is happy they get the rest of their vacation. You are happy you got to fly around having fun. Check book is not happy from buying airline tickes last minute.

This is not a Kobayashi Maru
All answers have to be within the confines of the story
...admittedly some responses have been quite clever

Assume no maintenance 'gotchas'

Assume no maintenance 'gotchas'
That's just it - you can't.

That is the part that makes the story bogus. If the story involved something other than incorporating an annual inspection into a family vacation, it might be believable. But, as you have laid the story out, I can't finish it because it would never have happened in the first place.

Okay, story edit:

After the annual, you thoroughly flight test the aircraft and based on your study of weather patterns and observations during the flight decide to end the vacation due to the approaching storm system.

Been there, done that, though not in conjunction with an annual inspection. Airplane trips are always subject to the vagaries of the weather gods.

I stand by my original response.

But a question would be, are you flight planning based on best speed or best economy?

I will use my plane as an example...
600 mile trip - best speed with the headwind results in a fuel burn of 62 gallons.
600 mile trip - best economy with the headwinds is a fuel burn of 44 gallons.

62-44 = 18 gallons * 6lbs/gallon = 108 pounds of fuel.

Game, set, match.

Last edited:
Buy a bigger/faster/heavier airplane

Cummon, I want a real reason to buy a T210...

I stand by my original response.

But a question would be, are you flight planning based on best speed or best economy?

I will use my plane as an example...
600 mile trip - best speed with the headwind results in a fuel burn of 62 gallons.
600 mile trip - best economy with the headwinds is a fuel burn of 44 gallons.

62-44 = 18 gallons * 6lbs/gallon = 108 pounds of fuel.

Game, set, match.

Although there are no right/wrong answers (though in real life, some answers are just plain wrong), I would put your response in the clever category.

Buy a bigger/faster/heavier airplane

Cummon, I want a real reason to buy a T210...

Why stop there? There are bigger, faster, and heavier planes than that. ;)

Although there are no right/wrong answers (though in real life, some answers are just plain wrong), I would put your response in the clever category.
I agree with Ed. Dial back the power and the mixture to stretch your range. This is not an either/or scenario.

I agree with Ed. Dial back the power and the mixture to stretch your range. This is not an either/or scenario.

One of the things I notice about pilots is that they seldom realize that their aircraft are capable of more than one speed. While this does enhance safety typically (you know what the plane should do at any point, because you do it the same), it has its pitfalls.

I wouldn't advise a pilot to take off with stretching fuel without having personally verified fuel burn via a certain operating method, though.

And in my case, since I fly best economy everywhere, I'm pretty much out of luck.

I have many and many a time intended to fly at something approaching "best economy" speed, which can yield pretty impressive numbers in a Bo.

But it's like the owl professor trying to find out how many licks it takes to get to the candy center of a Tootsie-Pop - just can't do it, and end up speeding up.

Exception was when I was flying home from Titusville, FL, and had a big frontal system moving west to east. Flew high and better economy, so I could get as far as possible without a fuel stop, landed at KIER (Natchitoches, LA) with IFR reserves and some extra, and pushed the plane into a hangar as the rain started. Ended up sending CJane and Tommy home by rental car, flew home two days later.

Happy ending.

---

As for the OP, I'd take 100lb of "stuff," throw half of it away and ship the rest by UPS.

Is this that hard? Load the plane up to gross and make a fuel stop. :dunno:

If you're so heavy that you can't make a fuel stop, in most parts of the country, you had too much crap in the plane before you left home in the first place.

What happens if you pull it back to 45% power?

The plane slows down too much and my MPG ends up getting worse.

The Aztec is not a particularly efficient aircraft, and most of my flights are approaching gross, or at least on the heavy side.

The plane slows down too much and my MPG ends up getting worse.

The Aztec is not a particularly efficient aircraft, and most of my flights are approaching gross, or at least on the heavy side.

...and that's all fuel and payload, 'cause you don't weigh hardly nothin'...

...and that's all fuel and payload, 'cause you don't weigh hardly nothin'...

You got it.

The advantage of the Aztec's inefficient airfoil design is that, when unintentionally modified by mother nature in below-freezing IMC conditions, it doesn't lose any significant performance.

Load the plane up to gross and make a fuel stop.

You can't. The weather forced you to a route that had no fuel. Yes this is fiction, but I think this has a real answer. I've already researched and found one that works. I'm looking for other ideas.

You can't. The weather forced you to a route that had no fuel. Yes this is fiction, but I think this has a real answer. I've already researched and found one that works. I'm looking for other ideas.

Ship 100 lbs of luggage.

I think the whole story is bogus. There is no such thing as a shop performed $400.00 annual on a slow four seater, which is what I own. I have never gotten out for less than $1,700.00. My last annual was slightly over $4,000.00.

So, if the basis for the story (a $400.00 annual) is BS, the rest probably is as well. The pilot probably does not have a family, there was no storm, and his whole life is a vacation, why would he need to go anywhere? His plane is probably something on a simulator. :)

John

I think the whole story is bogus. There is no such thing as a shop performed $400.00 annual on a slow four seater, which is what I own. I have never gotten out for less than $1,700.00. My last annual was slightly over $4,000.00.

So, if the basis for the story (a $400.00 annual) is BS, the rest probably is as well. The pilot probably does not have a family, there was no storm, and his whole life is a vacation, why would he need to go anywhere? His plane is probably something on a simulator. :)

John

I was under $400 one year with my Cherokee. (2006 I believe) That included all repairs and the oil change.

John

Hilarious-

Yes, I made up the entire story based on something I was wondering about and just thought I'd get some other ideas about the situation...wanted to know what an experienced aviator would do...considering that I'm just a rookie who's (fingers crossed) completing his PP-ASEL checkride this afternoon.

I was under $400 one year with my Cherokee. (2006 I believe) That included all repairs and the oil change.

Out here, the basic price, just to open things up then put em back together is around $1,200.00, it goes up from there with each thing they fix.

My next annual in in August. My business has been slow, kinda worried about it.

The story is still bogus, you just got lucky one year.

John

don't ship the 100 lbs. take it to the local goodwill. next time your wife won't pack or buy as much. or there won't be a next time, in which case you won't have any issues with loading the plane up with fuel and making the trip home.

Back