Short-Field Landings

Revtach

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Revtach
I've read the AFH and did a web search and still can't understand one aspect of short-field landings. I know that you have to configure and approach according to the POH and should land as close to the runway threshold as possible. However, I'm not clear on how you should theoretically set yourself up for the maneuver in terms of aiming point and touchdown point, and also the techniques to transition to landing on short final. Please take a few minutes to read my interpretation of short-field landings below and feel free to comment as you see fit.

This applies to common general aviation single engine airplanes.

In a normal landing, the established procedure is to pick a touchdown point on the runway and an aiming point about 200 feet before that touchdown point. On short final, the pilot should pull engine power to idle and begin their round out and flare about 100 feet before the aiming point (which is about 10-20 feet above the runway), so that by the time the flare is complete they will touch down right around their touchdown point.

In a short-field approach the landing is sometimes called a "spot landing". This means that, as much as possible, the pilot should try to touch down at the aiming point. There are two common techniques to transition to landing on short final. The first is to begin pulling engine power when clear of all obstacles (about 50 feet above the runway), and simultaneously lowering the nose to maintain short-field approach speed. Doing this will momentarily steepen your approach path, which will result in touching down at your original aiming point by the time the round out and flare are complete. The other technique is to integrate the flare into your glide path so that your glide path doesn't change. This technique is more difficult but should also result in touching down right at your aiming point.

Is my understanding correct? If so, then when explaining short-field landings to someone, is it fair to say that you should consider your aiming point to also be your touchdown point? Are the runway numbers an acceptable aiming point in short-field landings?

You aren’t factoring in ground effect. When an aircraft is within one wingspan of the runway this kicks in. Drag is reduced and the required angle of attack for level flight decreases. In other words, there’s a tendency to float.

I’m not a point-landing person but if I really want to land close to the runway end I will be aiming for the dirt before it and allow float to bring me to the rwy numbers.

The first is to begin pulling engine power when clear of all obstacles (about 50 feet above the runway), and simultaneously lowering the nose to maintain short-field approach speed. Doing this will momentarily steepen your approach path, which will result in touching down at your original aiming point by the time the round out and flare are complete.
This is basically the technique I use, and I’d say your understanding is generally correct. Let me expand on it just a bit.

it’s a lot easier if you actually have an obstacle than if you’re just pretending. Let’s say you’ve got a tree near the end of the runway, on the extended centerline of the runway. If you’re a shooter, the tree is like the front sight on a rifle. Your spot in the windshield is the rear sight. You’re going to look out the windshield, and find your aiming point on the runway just above the tree, and you’ll fly so that your spot on the windshield, the top of the tree, and the aiming point stay in alignment. When you pass over the tree , reduce to idle, and lower the nose, the approach path will steepen as you indicated. Depending upon how much excess energy you have, you’ll touch down on, before, or after your original aiming point, but you’re pretty much taking what you get at that stage unless you decide it’s ugly and go around.

Excess energy is going to depend on your speed (published short field approach speeds in many airplanes are way too fast, IMO), how much drag the airplane has, and your approach angle.

All else being equal,
more speed will result in more float and longer touchdown;
More drag will result in less float and shorter touchdown; and
A steeper approach will result in a shorter touchdown.

In airplanes that I flew a lot, I could fly a slow, steep approach that resulted in an accelerated stall just at the bottom of my round out. (I only had to use full power to save the touchdown once. :rolleyes:) I’d actually touch down well short of my original aiming point.

Hmmm… insofar as a checkride…

It’s a spot landing. Fly slower on final kinda to show you can. Aim point, schaim point. ACS says land AT designated spot or up to 200’ more.

So….

1) DO NOT BE SHORT EVEN 1/2”, which is discernible.

2) Fly the final AT THE DESIGNATED SPEED.

3) Don’t land long looking for a smooth landing and brownie points.

The point is to demonstrate you can land safely at a field considered “short” for that equipment, reliably, as demonstrated in a single event…. If you can fly safely and confidently at that slower final approach speed, you simply can’t always be terribly far out of parameters. So he (the examiner) can get a feel for your ability in a short amount of time.

In theory you could fly Vne, snatch to idle and see how ya do… but good luck convincing him THAT always works…

Many people train themselves by “aiming short” so touchdown is right. Others aim for a spot (a 100’ further than briefed) and apply “at THAT spot plus or minus a hundred”. The main thing is that you communicate TO HIM the reference spot (to which he will apply the THERE +200 tolerance).

4) Checkride hint: MUCH tougher to discern 250’ long than even the 1/2” short… stomp stomp. DONT BE SHORT, this ain’t power out, the throttle works.

5) if ya KNOW you’re gonna be long, he does too! take it around. He’s gotta see a go around anyway, and your decision making…. Nudge nudge wink wink. If ya gotta take it around a half dozen times… well…

Make sense?

Last edited:
You are still going to flare in a short field landing so, the aiming point is not the touchdown point.

I think short field landing are taught a little backward. It's kind of taught as, "make the airplane touch down here." I teach the opposite. Set yourself up in the short field landing configuration. Pick an aiming point. Do the landing without a specific touchdown point in mind. Instead, observe the distance you travel from your aim point. Then it's a matter of adjusting the aim point. You still need to accommodate wind differences, etc, but you have a baseline. Let the airplane teach you.

You will need to pick an aiming point in front of he desired touchdown point.

Practice, and practice in varying wind conditions. Temperature, barometric pressure, and aircraft weight all affect your results as well. Power management and airspeed are critical for good results. Don’t forget your crosswind landing technique.

You are still going to flare in a short field landing so, the aiming point is not the touchdown point.

I think short field landing are taught a little backward. It's kind of taught as, "make the airplane touch down here." I teach the opposite. Set yourself up in the short field landing configuration. Pick an aiming point. Do the landing without a specific touchdown point in mind. Instead, observe the distance you travel from your aim point. Then it's a matter of adjusting the aim point. You still need to accommodate wind differences, etc, but you have a baseline. Let the airplane teach you.
This. It’s not about forcing the airplane to touch down on the spot, it’s about figuring out where the airplane will touch down relative to your aiming point and selecting your aiming and touchdown points accordingly.

Is my understanding correct?
You got it!

If so, then when explaining short-field landings to someone, is it fair to say that you should consider your aiming point to also be your touchdown point?
If you do, your students will ask you why the pros all touch down past the aiming marks on the runway, judging by the skid marks. How you gonna 'splain that?

Are the runway numbers an acceptable aiming point in short-field landings?
The examiner will probably give something else. The harder thing is imagining a 50' obstacle with any accuracy. I tried to avoid asking applicants to do that — took 'em to a real life short runway instead. If the airspeed is nailed at 1.3 Vso they don't need to worry about "touchdown point", it'll take care of itself.

Best advice I can give is to find a short field and practice. I never really worried about aiming at a point on the runway...just made sure I was at the correct airspeed and altitude on short final to clear the trees and land as close to the threshold as possible. No markings on a 1500' grass runway...orange cones maybe.

The little airport near me where the Pik n Pig BBQ is located, BQ!, is just over 2500' long. Not particularly long but a challenge for those used to 5000' and more. To add to the fun, the approach to runway 31 (and the departure from runway 13) have 40' trees to deal with. 31 has a displaced threshold for that reason, so the length is actually a bit shorted. For our club members, we like to practice on a longer runway and each of us have our own techniques. Mine is to use our home base. It has a 6500' runway but the second taxiway on one end is 1300' from the threshold. The goal is to turn and exit the runway there without slamming on the brakes. Do that and you know you can land for a great lunch.

A little longer than I'd really like but still good enough to turn off about halfway down the runway into the grassy parking area with normal slow down and braking. This is the easier approach.

Practice, practice and more practice. It is rewarding when you start to get comfortable and proficient.
I learned to fly at a 6000' runway. It does you no favors learning on such a long airport. But for some reason I was able to do some good short field landings from the beginning with my instructor. He said to "hang the plane on the prop and drag it to the threshold".
Fun stuff to me, some nights I will land 10 times at 2-3 different airports in one flight. Fun when you have a nice headwind and use 300-400' to land a 172. I have landed 10 times at my home airport with a 2800' runway in one flight. I only need 1/3 of that to land. I come over the threshold at under 40kts indicated to make a nice short field landing. Only one way to get better...

Last edited:
I have this 1700' turf runway I practice on.
IMG_1836.JPG

And right "down the road" is this 4100' turf airport that I have landed on hundreds of times.
IMG_1850.JPG

I am in my flare 5' off the ground, great place to practice as the traffic is light most days.
IMG_1853.JPG

The best runways are freshly tilled runways.
LOL I can't say I ever have. Although I have a couple in mind I have been flying over watching for couple years. I need to walk it first? Last fall it was real dry and the harvest was done. I should have then but I didn't. pool table smooth.
The runway in the picture above is just past the tilled field, 2 driveways to the west.

Last edited:
709804BD-0AC2-4C4A-8636-1B2939F36D18.jpeg This is one of them, that spec is a American bald eagle sitting in the tree, there is at least 2 of them I see regularly.

My short-field technique is full flaps, drag it in hanging on the prop a bit with a fairly steep attitude, until I know my spot is made, then authoritatively lower the nose and reduce power to maintain my speed.

Haven't practiced for a while, thanks for reminding me to get out there!

The first rule of Short Field, in my book at least, is this: the shorter the field, the longer the approach.

Also, you need to have mastery of your aircraft, not some formula. Seth Lake did a great video on 5-weird maneuvers to master your aircraft, and the last one is “soft field”. If you wean yourself away from airspeed and master PAC-Power, Attitude, and Configuration instead, you’ll come close to mastering short fields.

if you master the PAC method and extend your final long enough to give you time, there are few fields you can’t ace.

Also, you need to have mastery of your aircraft..
I have a tiny issue with that statement. Intended or not, it's the "great pilot" image in conjures up.

Part of it, of course, is, how short is short? Leaving that aside, I've heard too many pilots avoid flying into great places because they think they need "mastery" level skill to do so when I know from flying with them they are quite capable. They are literally scared away. That's a real shame and so unnecessary.

I mentioned the 1800X50 runway I flew out of for a few years (actually did my instrument training there). I think most pilots would consider that "short." They had their own flight school, so we're talking student pilots flying 150s and 172s. I started flying there about 6 weeks after my private checkride. I can tell you I was a master of exactly zero, most especially when it came to landings. We all did just fine.

I have a tiny issue with that statement. Intended or not, it's the "great pilot" image in conjures up.

Part of it, of course, is, how short is short? Leaving that aside, I've heard too many pilots avoid flying into great places because they think they need "mastery" level skill to do so when I know from flying with them they are quite capable. They are literally scared away. That's a real shame and so unnecessary.

I mentioned the 1800X50 runway I flew out of for a few years (actually did my instrument training there). I think most pilots would consider that "short." They had their own flight school, so we're talking student pilots flying 150s and 172s. I started flying there about 6 weeks after my private checkride. I can tell you I was a master of exactly zero, most especially when it came to landings. We all did just fine.

All I can tell you is that the FAA ACS for PPL uses “mastery” 4 times, including this:

“Satisfactory Performance
In accordance with 14 CFR part 61, section 61.43, satisfactory performance requires that the applicant:
• Demonstrate the Tasks specified in the Areas of Operation for the certificate or rating sought within the established standards;
• Demonstrate mastery of the aircraft by performing each Task successfully;
• Demonstrate proficiency and competency in accordance with the approved standards;
• Demonstrate sound judgment and exercise aeronautical decision-making/risk management; and
The applicant is expected to demonstrate competence in resource management (CRM/SRM) appropriate to the aircraft and Tasks.
Satisfactory performance“

My CFI really stressed airspeed control on short field landings. Don't come in low, and don't come in fast. I usually was told to pick a rwy stripe, and say it out loud, as my target point. The centerline stripes are 120' long with an 80' gap. So aim for the leading edge of one stripe and touch down AFTER that edge and before the leading edge of the next.

All I can tell you is that the FAA ACS for PPL uses “mastery” 4 times, including this:

“Satisfactory Performance
In accordance with 14 CFR part 61, section 61.43, satisfactory performance requires that the applicant:
• Demonstrate the Tasks specified in the Areas of Operation for the certificate or rating sought within the established standards;
• Demonstrate mastery of the aircraft by performing each Task successfully;
• Demonstrate proficiency and competency in accordance with the approved standards;
• Demonstrate sound judgment and exercise aeronautical decision-making/risk management; and
The applicant is expected to demonstrate competence in resource management (CRM/SRM) appropriate to the aircraft and Tasks.
Satisfactory performance“
Context is everything.

One possible technique that a CFI taught me (obviously not the only one) is that you get low relatively early, and essentially transition into slow flight level ahead of the runway, just out of ground effect. When you cross the threshold, just pull the power, slight flare and you plop down onto the runway pretty much right away. Hard to land very long.

A couple of down sides though - it obviously doesn't work over an obstacle, and if you lose power late in the process you *are* absolutely landing short of the runway. So if the approach to the threshold is inhospitable then probably not the best choice.

I thought I’d was an informative video. The only problem is that they sounded as if they were both C-130 pilots. I hate C-130s ;)

Unfortunately when the context is the ACS, most pilots don’t know what you’re talking about.
That may be true, but in this case, my comment was about how some pilots see things, not the ACS. Even within the ACS, private pilot "mastery" is different than commercial or ATP "mastery." I think that's the entire basis of all the FAA "no double dip" interpretations.

My CFI really stressed airspeed control on short field landings. Don't come in low, and don't come in fast. I usually was told to pick a rwy stripe, and say it out loud, as my target point. The centerline stripes are 120' long with an 80' gap. So aim for the leading edge of one stripe and touch down AFTER that edge and before the leading edge of the next.

I thought they were 125’ with 75’ gaps, but we agree it’s 200’ from the start of one to the start of the next one.

repetition makes it work. Do the same thing every time until you have consistency, then slowly start backing up your aiming point. Doing this for real and touching down on the numbers always feels like I’m going to hit the end lights. Im sure I’m at least 10’ up, but doesn’t change the feeling.

The easiest way to hit the spot every time in a Cessna or Piper is to come into ground effect about 500 feet before the touchdown point (usually the 1000 footers for checkride purposes). Don’t be too slow or you’ll drop it in short. Pull the power at that aiming point as you get into ground effect. Then manage the float to touch down on the spot. That works almost every time because you have a lot more room for error, especially when there are gusts.

A student trying to hang it on the prop at 60 knots and drop it directly on a spot usually doesn’t work out very well. That kind of precision takes a lot more experience than 30 hours in a 172.

120 and 80 according to AC 150/5340-1K, Standards for Airport Markings
That’s where I found the dimensions.

I remember during PP training making most landings spot landings, once I was able to. Made that piece of the checkride pretty simple.

I did my PP on 2015 x 40 runway, in a Grumman Tiger. :D

I do admit I want a bit more runway for my Mooney. :D

That’s where I found the dimensions.

I remember during PP training making most landings spot landings, once I was able to. Made that piece of the checkride pretty simple.

When I was a private student, I remember going to google and measuring them at 125/75. Might have been non-standard, an old paint job or just an old man. I just did the same again and they're 120/80. There has been a resurfacing since I was a student.

Ok… do you guys REALLY want to know how to do short field?

Two words… tailhook.

And quit doing that PNUTL err… flare thing. Complicates the whole issue.

Ok… do you guys REALLY want to know how to do short field?

Two words… tailhook.

And quit doing that PNUTL err… flare thing. Complicates the whole issue.
I like seeing the runways at Naval Air Stations. This one is at Norfolk. Gives a good scale of what a "short field" really is.

Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 11.54.22 AM.png

Back