Shake down flight to ferry flight

Danny Dub

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Danny Dub
Hi!

My plane has been undergoing an extensive annual. The shop that has been doing most of the work is nearing the end of their stuff, but I am going to have a more local shop finish the engine stuff that isnt particular to my aircraft type. So once the current shop is done, I will need a ferry permit to take it to the local shop. (The annual will be signed off but with a few outstanding items yet to be done)

Due to the extensive work that has been done, (flight control work, landing gear adjustments etc) I really need to do a shake down flight to check the work. Then assuming all is fine I will make the 2 hour flight home.

My question is how do you do this legally? Will this involve 2 ferry permits (1 local and 1 cross country?)

I am sure this has been delt with before but I look forward to hearing how to do it.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Unless you are a air carrier, as far as I know only the FAA can issue a ferry permit.
I’ve been out if GA for several years so that may have changed.

There’s really no such thing as a “local” ferry permit. You could probably get away with saying you circled the field to get comfortable with the condition of the airplane, but had to land because it wasn’t right, but I wouldn’t admit that up front. :oops:

I was once told to give some local instruction on a ferry permit so the other pilot could fly it home, and apparently they didn’t believe I wouldn’t do it. Fortunately the FAA refused the ferry permit, as it was the third one requested for that airplane within a month or so.:rolleyes:

Is the Annual signed as “ Airworthy”? If that’s not the case you need a Ferry Permit.
My take is no Tech wants to complete an extensive project and then have the aircraft take off on a 2 hr flight. So I understand your dilemma.

Fed guy told me one way to do this is sign the aircraft as Airworthy but state
“ Return to service not issued . Released for Check Flight of xx only”. I’m not sure if that’s really the way to go though. The legendary Bill O’Brien of FAA did some presentations / articles on this topic. Maybe I can find one. He really made FARs understandable.

I don’t believe a Ferry Permit restricts you to 1 take off and 1 landing. On longer flights Fuel stops and weather may require you to land. So one Ferry Permit may cover both ops.

Being in the engine business for many years this came up numerous times. I did the local test flights on ferry permits to a destination usually for annual inspection. One of my FAA PMI's suggested it by asking what I would do if I had to make an adjustment or inspect something! I once cut 3 1/2 inches off the blades off of the props on a Baron that had run off them end of the runway at St Barts. The French government would not give me permission without a ferry permit from the U.S. I sent a letter handwritten letter of request for the ferry permit to fly to Ft Lauderdale for customs and fuel stops as required to fly it t o Lancaster PA for new blades.

My question is how do you do this legally?
Since you will need a mechanic sign off for the ferry permit, sit down with that person and see how they want to approach it. But as mentioned above the typical route is to get the permit for the flight to the other shop then simply fly around the departure airport until your comfortable before heading to the destination airport. If possible I would also see if your mechanic would be involved in the discussion with the FSDO in case any technical questions arise. I would normally do this on the SFPs I signed if needed.
Fed guy told me one way to do this is sign the aircraft as Airworthy but state“ Return to service not issued .
FYI: mechanics can't issue the return to service, only a pilot can on the next flight. You can sign off an inspection as airworthy as usual with no "note" needed, then make an entry the aircraft requires an ops check flight which the pilot will sign off and return the aircraft to service. Part 91 gives the guidance.

From FAA order 8130.2J covering the issuance of Special Flight Permits (Ferry Permit):

g. Flying an aircraft to a base where repairs are to be performed. This may include incidental check flights as necessary to verify the aircraft is safe for flying the aircraft to a base where repairs are to be performed. Such check flights could be included under the SFP to verify proper function of auxiliary fuel tanks, to verify no hydraulic or fuel leaks for aircraft coming out of storage, etc. This provision is not intended to circumvent § 91.407.

My plane has been undergoing an extensive annual. The shop that has been doing most of the work is nearing the end of their stuff, but I am going to have a more local shop finish the engine stuff that isnt particular to my aircraft type. So once the current shop is done, I will need a ferry permit to take it to the local shop. (The annual will be signed off but with a few outstanding items yet to be done)

Just curious, why not have the current shop do the engine stuff?

Just curious, why not have the current shop do the engine stuff?
They are just so backed up I'm trying to unclog thier workload by getting my plane out of there! Haha

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Back