seven fatalities at KBED

'Flyer's,

Sorry...I'm getting in this late and I didn't read all the previous posts, so I apologize in advance if this statement or concept has been covered....

I find it hard to believe that an aircraft manufacturer, such as, Gulfstream would have a gust-lock system (electric, hydraulic, mechanical or any combination) and not have a *fool-proof* feature for disallowing take-off engine power with the system engaged.

For god's sake our spam-cans have a gear horn to keep us from landing with the gear up and that situation is not even life threatening.

I'm positive I'm missing something, so feel free to pile on here.

Gene

There are "gotchyas" on every airplane, especially during maintenance.

I find it hard to believe that an aircraft manufacturer, such as, Gulfstream would have a gust-lock system (electric, hydraulic, mechanical or any combination) and not have a *fool-proof* feature for disallowing take-off engine power with the system engaged.

No hardware system is 100% reliable. It's physically impossible.

NTSB report out. Gust lock found in the unlocked position post-crash but FDR says elevator never moved.

'Flyer's,

Sorry...I'm getting in this late and I didn't read all the previous posts, so I apologize in advance if this statement or concept has been covered....

For god's sake our spam-cans have a gear horn to keep us from landing with the gear up and that situation is not even life threatening.

I'm positive I'm missing something, so feel free to pile on here.

Gene
For whatever reason, that is the way they designed it.

Borrowed from another forum, this apparently sent out by Gulfstream last week:

SUBJECT:
MAINTENANCE AND OPERATIONS LETTER
June 13, 2014 ALL-MOL-14-0015
FLIGHT CREW OPERATIONAL INFORMATION
All Gulfstream Operators
General (ATA 00) – Airplane Flight Manual (AFM) Procedures
Gulfstream is issuing this Maintenance and Operations Letter (MOL) to remind flight crews of the
importance of adhering to flight procedures published in applicable Airplane Flight Manuals (AFM) to confirm flight control integrity and freedom of motion. Flight crews are reminded to perform the following as set forth in the applicable AFM procedures for each model aircraft.
 -Ensure the gust lock is OFF prior to starting engines (not applicable for G650)
 -Check flight controls for freedom and correct movement prior to taxi/takeoff
 -Confirm the elevators are free during the takeoff roll
If you have questions or comments regarding this communication, please contact Customer Support at 800-810-GULF (4853) or 912-965-4178, by fax at 912-965-4184, or by electronic mail at technical.operations@gulfstream.com.

It's things like this that makes me appreciate being alive. We are all on borrowed time. I made a decision to enjoy everyday of my life. Even if I find myself doing something I have to do, I try to make the best of it!

R.I.P

Back