seven fatalities at KBED

Gulf Stream down in ma.

A Gulfstream IV down on take off BED mass. Seven aboard no survivors. Ran off end of runway.

Re: Gulf Stream down in ma.

A Gulfstream IV down on take off BED mass. Seven aboard no survivors. Ran off end of runway.

There's already a thread about that, with a link to the NYT article. It's probably best to use just one thread so that any further information accumulates in just one place here.

It was calm and clear at the time of the crash:
METAR KBED 010156Z 00000KT 10SM CLR 08/06 A3028 RMK AO2 SLP268 T00780056
SPECI KBED 010158Z 00000KT 10SM CLR 08/06 A3028 RMK AO2 T00780056

Although the first news reports say the plane "ran off the end of the runway", the runway is 7000', so my guess would be that it actually took off and then crashed. But we'll see. Press conference at 0800 EDT.

Although the first news reports say the plane "ran off the end of the runway", the runway is 7000', so my guess would be that it actually took off and then crashed. But we'll see. Press conference at 0800 EDT.

The linked article said they were taking off, headed to atlantic city.

Plus it is very possible that a jet could run of the end of a 7000 ft runway.

Plus it is very possible that a jet could run of the end of a 7000 ft runway.

Yes, I'm sure it can be done. I'm just not sure it's more likely than a slight inaccuracy in the initial reports.

Any word on the tail number? Who owned the Jet?

N121JM GIV owned by a law firm out of Raleigh. Crashed on takeoff. Correction - owned by an investment firm/charter op and was apparently being used by a law firm out of Raleigh.

Is it normal for the FBI to investigate a GA accident? News reports mention FBI being on the scene, and the NOTAM closing the airport says "Only relief aircraft operations under direction of the FBI are authorized in the airspace".

Last edited:
Is it normal for the FBI to investigate a GA accident? News reports mention FBI being on the scene, and the NOTAM closing the airport says "Only relief aircraft operations under direction of the FBI are authorized in the airspace".

The article indicated there was some rancor involved in the sale of the paper. FBI might be looking into it for that reason.

Only when they need to cover things up.. like TWA 800.

:popcorn:

I wondered about that as well. Seemed odd to me

I will second the severe clear. Was at Gillette stadium last night, Cool and clear last night and this morning in the region. Will be a stretch for weather to be a factor.

The aircraft crashed on airport property and the extended runway centerline next to what appears to be a sequenced flasher approach lighting tower.

It appears the aircraft came to rest about 2,000' from the end of Runway 11.

Photos on this page...

http://www.wcvb.com/news/plane-crashes-on-takeoff-at-hanscom-air-force-base/26271540#!TtLvh

Last edited:
Several witnesses who claim plane never got airborne. Seems like an abort after v1 situation.

Several witnesses who claim plane never got airborne. Seems like an abort after v1 situation.

Yup, my suspicion was wrong. A runway overrun seems to be confirmed now.

Word on the street at BED is 2500' of skid marks on the departure end of the runway.

060214planemg011.jpg

Word on the street at BED is 2500' of skid marks on the departure end of the runway.

It's surprising they were still moving fast enough to cause a fatal accident after locking the wheels for 1/2 a mile! Wow!

But couldn't get off the ground....

It's surprising they were still moving fast enough to cause a fatal accident after locking the wheels for 1/2 a mile! Wow!

Very sad :(

On the surface, some things aren't adding up here, but I imagine that's due to lack of details

More deets. Sounds like engines were shut down after v1 meaning no reverse thrust. Braking only. Not a surprise there wasn't enough runway left. This is a good reminder why it's almost always better to get it in the air rather than perform a high speed abort after v1.

I've always tried to devise a plan before I take the runway. Just say to yourself "what if this doesn't go well" as you advance the throttle to full power.

More deets. Sounds like engines were shut down after v1 meaning no reverse thrust. Braking only. Not a surprise there wasn't enough runway left. This is a good reminder why it's almost always better to get it in the air rather than perform a high speed abort after v1.

What if both engines bought the farm at the same time? (FOD, Birds)... the abort decision has been made for you and you are along for the ride..

Time will tell, and eventually facts will be released...

They found the black boxes a few hours ago.also NTSB reported the flaps where set at 10 degrees.

The lights at the end of the runway on those 3 foot poles.. part of the approach lighting system... likely breached the fuel tanks and caused the fuel fed fire.

My armchair qb opinion? They all survived the runway overrun only to die in the post crash fire. Jet A makes for a hot fire. You dont have to crash very hard to burn to death. Without getting too graphic, my experience in fire and ems over the years tells me the victims will undergo identification by DNA from bone, or via dental records. Wont be much else left to test.

Helluva way to go. :no:

How about the gust lock ? That's happened a few times.
That is actually one of the theories being floated by some GIV pilots on another board. Not saying this is what happened, but apparently some GIV guys say that if you don't follow the checklist but wait until after engine start to disengage the gust lock, you can end up in a situation where you think you disengaged the gust lock, but the elevator lock remains in place. If you don't do a control check before takeoff, you could end up finding out that the elevator is locked at a very bad time.

Last edited:
What if both engines bought the farm at the same time? (FOD, Birds)... the abort decision has been made for you and you are along for the ride..

Time will tell, and eventually facts will be released...

If it failed and they had 2500 feet to get it stopped then I question the velocity they left the paved runway at.... Nose gear is sheared off, nose gear door laying on the ground a dozen more feet and then the left main gear sheared off along with the main gear door....:hairraise::hairraise:..

That thing was sliding on it's belly for a good distance and that drag alone will eat up momentum quickly... IMHO...

My guess is they went off the paved surface at over 85-95 mph...

Surely they could have shed more then 50 mph in 2500 feet..:confused::confused:....:confused:

If it failed and they had 2500 feet to get it stopped then I question the velocity they left the paved runway at.... Nose gear is sheared off, nose gear door laying on the ground a dozen more feet and then the left main gear sheared off along with the main gear door....:hairraise::hairraise:..

That thing was sliding on it's belly for a good distance and that drag alone will eat up momentum quickly... IMHO...

My guess is they went off the paved surface at over 85-95 mph...

Surely they could have shed more then 50 mph in 2500 feet..:confused::confused:....:confused:

They probably weighed over 50,000

The lights at the end of the runway on those 3 foot poles.. part of the approach lighting system... likely breached the fuel tanks and caused the fuel fed fire.

Those are interesting. It's always been under the impression that stuff like that around runways was designed to break away.

This is truly tragic.

You can see the anti-skid systems were working. Pictures of the aircraft wreckage show the reversers were stowed. I wonder what the braking distance is on a GIV with a V1 cut and no reversers.

Back