Setting up your communications

mulligan

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Mulligan
What is the most efficient way you have found to setup your radio?

Example: Nav 2 for ATIS and Clearance
Nav 1 for group or tower and departure?

Once done with ATIS and clearance then change to departure area frequencies?

I usually use Com for things like contacting towers and getting atis

Comm 1 approach and next anticipated freq

Comm two, awos and ctaf, or atis and ground.

Normally I'll leave it on the AWOS or ATIS ex route till I am close enough to pick up the weather, after I have the wx I'll switch to monitoring the CTAF or tower.

Radio 1: Tower, App/Dep, & Center
Radio 2: ATIS, Clearance, Ground, & 121.5 in cruise

Last edited:
No perfect way. Best is something you can work with without thinking about it, and with minimal button pushing or twisting.

I have my primary items (approach, tower/ctaf) in primary radio, and secondary items (weather, ground, guard) in secondary radio.

Com 1, active side is the one in use
Com 1, standby is last frequency, (or next if known - but never vacate last freq til new one proven to work).
Com 2, active side is 121.5 except when in range - then it is ATIS/ASOS/listening to common freq.
Com 2, standby is one of those noted in the line above.

Deviations:
-Com 1 has a lower antenna and may not be heard on the ground so I switch to Com 2 (upper ant).
-2 pilots with split comm duties

Com 1: What I'm going to talk on Tower/approach/CTAF/etc
Com 2: What I'm going to listen to, AWOS/ATIS/Guard/nearby CTAFs/etc

Do whatever works for you though.

Depends what I'm doing. For solo IFR, pretty much what James does. On departure, Tower and Departure on COM1, 121.5 on COM2. Enroute, approach and center on COM1, 121.5 and destination ATIS/AWOS on COM2. When briefing an approach, all the frequencies go somewhere. Generally, approach and Tower/CTAF on COM1, ground on COM2.

With a crew, I usually give COM2 to the right seat, especially if I'm looking for an ELT or if there is air to air involved.

On a G1000, 430 or 650, it's pretty easy to daisy chain frequencies for a given airport through COM1.

Us poor people with just one com get to multitask....:redface:...

But with common sense.. it always works out...:yes:

1 is my talking radio and 2 is my listening radio(ATIS, AWOS)

1 is my talking radio and 2 is my listening radio(ATIS, AWOS)
This is my setup in the Baron. Comm 1 is the Garnin 430. Comm 2 is an older Collins 251 with no standby freq.

In the 170, both radios are Collins 251s so I will put the next freq in whatever radio I'm not using and then shift radios when it's time.

My com2 can't transmit right now, so I use it for receive only functions. That determines where I put what. I should get it fixed soon...

Com 1: Clearance, ground, tower, approach, center

Com 2: ATIS, guard, company, FBOs, advisory

I like to have transmitted on each radio prior to departure, so I tend to do tower on Comm 1, with departure in the flip flop... And ATIS in Comm 2 with Clearance Delivery in the flip flop if IFR and Ground if not.

In cruise Comm 1 gets ATC, Comm 2 is handling monitoring duty of Guard or enroute ATIS/AWOS or the increasingly rare chats with an FSS.

Before arrival, ATIS and Ground go back in Comm 2.

But...

This method isn't my favorite if the radios don't have a flip flop feature. I'll alternate radios in that case, using the Comm selector as a flip flop, so I can always go back to the last known good frequency with a switch flip -- and not having to reference the notepad for the prior frequency, even though it's there.

So I'd say ... it depends somewhat on the feature set of the radios involved and the intercom system.

Highest workload is a single Comm radio by far. That's write it all down and then set it. Much nicer to pre-set and be ahead of the game.

As long as terrain isn't blocking me, if I'm paying attention and thinking ahead I can usually let a controller know I have the ATIS at the landing airport during my initial call up to Approach in that area.

Can't tell ya how much that seems to endear them to you... They immediately know that you know the next step in the game, and it's one less question they have to ask of you.

"XYZ Approach, Skylane 79M, eight thousand two hundred, decending seven thousand five hundred, we have ATIS X-Ray at Podunk..." twenty miles out, gets you way better service than the usual back and forth and confused fumbling one hears all the time of VFR folk talking to Approach controllers.

Another trick. Have your plan ready if you think they'll give you something you won't understand completely. Like often happens with local visual checkpoints or whatever... And offer it up as an alternative.

"Skylane 79M are you familiar with the grain elevator north of the field?"

"Negative but we can take up a heading of XXX which will keep us north of the airport and report the airport in sight."

"Skylane 79M descend at pilot's discretion VFR, report airport in sight."

Think about what the controller is trying to do and work it into what your plan is, and it almost always works better than waiting to be prompted.

Similar sentiment recently when a Center controller kept calling out skydive traffic ahead of me on a route where I would overfly the airport they were jumping at.

"Skylane 79M, traffic now one to two o'clock, altitude indicates one three thousand climbing... they'll be dropping jumpers in a couple of minutes."

"Negative traffic, looking. We can give you a twenty degree left turn and stay there until he's finished his jump run, if that'd help... And we are listening to him on the other radio on CTAF. 79M."

It's a team effort. It helps if you can think about both your needs as PIC and their needs as controllers.

I do all the talking on Com1 (Garmin 530) and listening on Com2 (KX155). So Com2 is used for ATIS, AWOS etc.

Com1: Active communications, tower, approach, center...
Com2: Ground, 121.5, 123.45, 122.75...
Bluetooth: Usually some for of alt-rock the past few months...

Comm 1 approach and next anticipated freq

Comm two, awos and ctaf, or atis and ground.

Normally I'll leave it on the AWOS or ATIS ex route till I am close enough to pick up the weather, after I have the wx I'll switch to monitoring the CTAF or tower.

That's normally how I have done it, but I recently had a GNC255A installed for my #2, and on the com side, it has a priority feature. So, I can tune in ATIS or AWOS in the standby freq while still with approach... hit the monitor button and listen to the weather... If there is an incoming transmission on the active frequency, the ATIS is temporarily interrupted. My 430W doesn't do that, and I can listen to two frequencies at the same time with my audio panel, but it's hard to understand if there are two people blabbing in my ear at once.

So sometimes I'll use com 2 depending on the situation.

I depart a no towered airport so The first minute of ifr there are three frequencies to speak on.
First Unicom then call to Newark clearance at 800' then over to NY departure.
So not to have to dial anything in in that first minute Unicom goes into com2.
After that call and up to about 500' ( in the event I need to quickly announce on Unicom) I keep Unicom active. At 500' I hit the com1 button and my next two frequencies are ready to go.
The answer to the original question is based on individual flying situations and habits.
Although I haven't practiced it thus far I do think once I have atis, putting ground into com2 is a good idea. Something I can do way out to stay ahead and one thing less to do while listening to someone speak to me. Often times ground frequency is thrown at us soon after wheels are down.

Com 1 Clearance, ground, tower, approach (last frequency used left in standby)
Com 2 ATIS/AWOS, guard

Departing from towered field:
COM2: Grab ATIS and dial in CD on C2 standby
Flip to CD and dial in ground on C2 standby
COM1: Tower on active, departure on standby
Talk to CD, flip to ground, talk to ground, change radios, talk to tower, flip to to departure.

Enroute:
COM1 is my transmit radio, and if I'm 'following' someone, I dial in the presumed frequency on stand by
COM2 I have 121.5 on the active, and since I can monitor frequencies on the standby, I pull up AWOS/ATIS along my route of flight for a picture of what's going on.

Arrival:
After getting ATIS on COM2 Standby I dial in tower and ground on COM2
COM1 I keep talking to center/approach on COM1 until I get handed to tower, then flip radios, and then flip to ground if necessary.

I always setup 2 as my destination and don't touch it.
1 is my working radio. This works week for me

Back