Separate logbook for CFI?

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I am giving dual instruction now. Should I put all my dual time in a separate logbook, esp since I need to record certain endorsements? Right now it is just in ForeFlight along with all my personal flying but I think a paper backup makes sense.

I used a Jeppesen Professional Logbook since it had the column Dual Given. It’s a big one with spare pages in back that you could use to record endorsements. I personally logged everything in it, and don’t see a reason to keep it separate from non CFI flights.

My regular paper book is from Sporty's and does not have the dual seven column, but the "Senior Pilot" one does so I am considering it and keeping CFI stuff separate.

I’ve never felt the need to keep separate logbooks. Just keep records of what you need
Same here. The times are just basic logbook entries, perhaps with a dual given column if you want to calculate those. Endorsements given can be a separate record or, as I did when I used paper, a table cut to logbook page size and taped in. Lesson descriptions can be in the comments or, as some do, in a separate document which goes into greater detail.

I use myflightbook.com for all of my logging, including as a CFI. It even has a place to keep and track endorsements, complete with pre-written endorsements, just fill in the date, name, and number.

I use myflightbook.com for all of my logging, including as a CFI. It even has a place to keep and track endorsements, complete with pre-written endorsements, just fill in the date, name, and number.
Plus, if your student is also using MyFlightBook you can write in theirs and it populates yours as well.

My regular paper book is from Sporty's and does not have the dual seven column, but the "Senior Pilot" one does so I am considering it and keeping CFI stuff separate.

You can always re-label an unused column in your existing logbook as well.

You can always re-label an unused column in your existing logbook as well.

This Even if is one under Aircraft Category and Class.

I did not keep a separate logbook. But many logbooks do have a Dual (or Flight Training) Given column. So if yours doesn't, get one that does.

If you need the hours for a career, record in FF and back up with Jepp professional logbook.

The only logbook separation I made was for a different aircraft category. All the dual given in airplanes that I've bothered to log resides in my airplane logbooks.

Back