Seeking Guidance: Non-American Citizen Pursuing a Career as a Commercial Pilot in the US

DomoGG

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
DomoGG
Hello!

I'm Daniel, a Mexican currently in a long-term relationship with an American flight attendant from Southwest. Our plan is to eventually live together in the US. I aspire to pursue a career as a commercial pilot in the country, considering the reported shortage of pilots I think is a good time to go for it. I've considered studying at a pilot school in Mexico, obtaining private and commercial pilot licenses, and accumulating enough flight hours to apply for a job at an American airline. However, I'm uncertain about the process, particularly if I'll need to go to school again from the beginning to obtain the commercial pilot license again.

I'm seeking advice from someone who has successfully navigated the path of becoming a commercial pilot in the US as a non-American citizen. I'll be completing my college degree in biomedical engineering next year, but I'm not interested in pursuing it as a lifelong career.

Despite acknowledging the challenges ahead, I'm committed to the journey, inspired by my worthy partner. Any guidance or insights would be greatly appreciated.

You can train in Mexico (make sure you're training for a US certificate), but absent the work authorization you get from being an LPR or US citizen, you're not getting a job in the US. Of course, if you marry a US citizen, then all that is just paperwork.

Of course, if you marry a US citizen, then all that is just paperwork.
If you’re overseas that paperwork takes at least 18 months after marriage (in my experience) before receiving the right to work as a legal permanent resident (citizenship is likely not the issue). If the marriage is not immediate and meanwhile pilot training is done outside of the US, this will drag out a long time before it’s possible to apply for any job in the US.

Assuming marriage is the eventual plan, and it’s likely the only practical plan, talk to an immigration attorney and figure out what to do. Given the circumstances described, and assuming money is not the driving issue, I think the first step in a productive ‘journey’ might be to get a Visa for flight training in the US and start that training. Then while doing that training and legally resident in the US to do it, get married and apply for a change of residence status to become a permanent resident. You will need to state that this was not a pre-planned process to immigrate, but that is plausible when documented by a lawyer who knows the rules.

Last edited:
He can come in on a K1 visa and get married and adjust status. While he can't work until the LPR is granted, he's free to remain and train while the paperwork pushes.

K-1 (fiancée) Visa processing time varies as time goes on but over a year for both steps combined is typical, prior to entry, almost as long or sometimes the same as getting a green card after marriage and entering with it already granted. The time efficiency of the option has by my observation been eroded.

Conversely M-1 (student) Visa processing time is something like 6 weeks, but one cannot apply with the intent of later getting married in the US and changing status. So plausible deniability is required and (naturally) immigration lawyers know what that requires.

Last edited:
Where do you live in Mexico?

Back