Seeking Clarification: AGI and IGI Certifications on a Single Card?

cprenaveau

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Charlie Prenaveau
Having successfully passed my IGI and FOI exams, I'm ready to present my scores to a DPE for my cert. But I've hit a slight snag: my FOI exam is nearing its expiration. Naturally, I want to secure my scores before that happens.

A question has been lingering on my mind: if I possess both AGI and IGI, are they combined onto one certification card? I'm hoping not to obtain my IGI only to have to discard it later when a new card comes in for both AGI/IGI.

If they do come as separate cards, I'm considering obtaining my IGI immediately and leaving the AGI for later this year.

On a related note, does anyone have updates on FSDO's currently offering Zoom appointments? It seems the ones in Florida are exclusively in-person for now, and to add to the challenge, they're fully booked until the year's end or even early next year!

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

The card is for the Ground Instructor Certificate.

BGI, AGI, and IGI are Ratings on that card.

So just like your Pilot Certificate, you have one card for Private (or Commercial) Pilot Certificate, with ratings (ASEL, AMEL, IA, etc) on it.

Who cares if you have to discard a card? It happens every time you add a rating to your Pilot Certificate.

The card is for the Ground Instructor Certificate.

BGI, AGI, and IGI are Ratings on that card.

So just like your Pilot Certificate, you have one card for Private (or Commercial) Pilot Certificate, with ratings (ASEL, AMEL, IA, etc) on it.

Who cares if you have to discard a card? It happens every time you add a rating to your Pilot Certificate.
True. I’ll just get it now

Having successfully passed my IGI and FOI exams, I'm ready to present my scores to a DPE for my cert.

I went straight to the FSDO for my ground instructor certificate. You can do it through a DPE?

There is no practical test.
61.213 only says you have to pass knowledge tests for a ground instructor cert. 61.39 says pass the required knowledge test:

(i) Within the 24-calendar-month period preceding the month the applicant completes the practical test, if a knowledge test is required;

My question is does the FOI expire at 24 months for an AGI?

61.213 only says you have to pass knowledge tests for a ground instructor cert. 61.39 says pass the required knowledge test:

(i) Within the 24-calendar-month period preceding the month the applicant completes the practical test, if a knowledge test is required;

My question is does the FOI expire at 24 months for an AGI?
He becomes a ground instructor. No practical test. The foi has done it's job and is no longer relevant.

If he wants to be a CFI, he does not need the foi because he is a ground instructor.

So, whether or not the foi expires after 24 months.... probably yes. But no longer relevant if he becomes a ground instructor.

If I were doing it now, I would take the FOI and immediately take the BGI or AGI exam. The BGI exam is pretty much similar to the PP exam. The AGI is pretty much the Comm exam.

IGI is pretty much the Instrument exam.

But do the FOI and BGI or AGI and then you don't have to worry about the FOI expiring.

Yes, the FOI expires after 24 months, Take either the AGI or big now, lock the FOI in, then take the IGI later.

Unless you take the AGI and IGI together, you will get a new card after every test.

I don’t think having the IGI will let you teach BGI or AGI without having the BGI or AGI cert.

I wouldn’t care if I got a new card in the mail every month, for added ratings, Who cares

Yes, with IGI you can only teach Instrument Rating stuff.

I took the agi and igi, then paid a dpe to process my forms.

My card says “Ground Instructor” on front, back “advanced instrument”.

Chicks dig the extra card man, like for real

Back