Sebring Sport Aviation Expo is dead.

Goodbye Sebring Sport Aviation Expo. Hello Sebring Drone Aviation Expo?

Too bad, but not terribly surprised.

The best Light Sport exhibition I’ve been to was in 2006. I was looking to buy a Light Sport, and all the manufacturers were in one designated area at Sun ‘n’ Fun in Lakeland. Made it easy to take them all in - there were about 17 manufacturers there IIRC - and compare and contrast. It was where I zero’d in on the Sky Arrow as my Light Sport of choice. That concept was apparently abandoned, and Light Sport models are now scattered all over Sun ‘n’ Fun, diluting the whole effect.

I think I’ve been to the Sebring show 3 times, but one of those was called for weather on the day we planned to go to the show. I got good deals on a Whelen LED landing light and an Aerovoltz battery there. But now that I’m not really in the market for anything, the main impetus was social - a chance to touch base with fellow cronies from this site and others. I can’t speak of the last few shows, but attendance did seem to be tapering off. I’m sure the siphoning off of some Sport Pilots to other planes via BasicMed didn’t help.

What I’d like to see is a Light Sport Expo “show within a show” at Sun ‘n’ Fun. Does not seem like it would be terribly hard to pull that off.

Attendance seemed to be down this year, and the number of exhibitors was waaaay down. I suspect the Deland show in November was a factor, as some vendors probably could only attend one of the shows.

Attendance seemed to be down this year, and the number of exhibitors was waaaay down. I suspect the Deland show in November was a factor, as some vendors probably could only attend one of the shows.
Significantly more population closer to Deland

Haven’t missed one since they started,weather was never great. Deland in November will probably make for a better venue.

Back