Seat Belt Extender in C172

Aviator1945

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Aviator1945
Ok the Question, may have been asked 24 Dozen times, but I am going to ask it again anyway , can one use a seat belt extender in a C 172, if not ? why not !
Or Should I call the nice people at FSDO and ask them . !:goofy::goofy:

You can use it if it's properly FAA-approved. See here for one out of many sources for approved seat belt extenders, and google for more.

Ok the Question, may have been asked 24 Dozen times, but I am going to ask it again anyway , can one use a seat belt extender in a C 172, if not ? why not !

Easier to lose weight....;):rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

No. Physically speaking, if you need a seatbelt extender in a Skyhawk, you're likely beyond the structural limits of the seat and probably interfering with yoke travel in the front seat or throwing W&B out of envelope in the back.

No. Physically speaking, if you need a seatbelt extender in a Skyhawk, you're likely beyond the structural limits of the seat and probably interfering with yoke travel in the front seat or throwing W&B out of envelope in the back.
I've never seen a front seat limit in a Part 23 airplane less than 400 lb, and I can see an extender being needed long before that point. As for cg, I think that the front seat of a 172 could easily be positioned far enough aft to keep the airplane in forward cg limit (even if that 400-lb passenger might not be able to reach the controls). In the back, you're not likely to put anyone in the other seat with someone that wide in their anyway, so from a cg standpoint, it would be no worse than two 200-pounders, I believe which can be accommodated if there's nothing in the baggage area.

That.

Also if one is that super sized wouldn't their massive gut get in the way of the flight controls?

Or overload the seat of a 172...at least that was my first thought of a concern.

You can use it if it's properly FAA-approved. See here for one out of many sources for approved seat belt extenders, and google for more.
Did Ask a FAASTeam Program Manager today at a Seminar , he gave me the same answer as you have said. Most C172 belts do fit me fine at 240 Lbs. But once in while I find Cessna a C172 and when I raise the seat the belt goes real tight. the yoke movements are just "fine" but I think a very tight belt could be a safety issue If in an emergency one needs to get out quickly !

If you need a seat belt extender in a 172, you better get an accurate weight on them and figure out where they need to go WRT W/B. I typically put people that big in the back seat by themselves for everyone's comfort and the extra speed.

Do the calculation before you spout BS. You can load almost any 172 to max gross in the front seats without exceeding the forward CG limit. The exception is the 180 hp conversions because of the high useful load. Those can still take 700 lb in the front seats.

You won't break the seats. An empty 172 is rated in utility category. You will use it in normal category. That gives you quite a lot of margin. 3.8G is a HELL of a lot, and if you're flying that way regularly, or even very seldom, you will have much more broken than a seat.

There is plenty of room behind controls if you move the seats back, if they can get in the plane at all. And that's the real limiting factor in a 172, since seat travel is limited by the seat rail AD.

So, let's drop the BS.

To answer the original question.....

Just use the #@%^& thing and everyone quit trying to make a federal case over a seat belt extender.

Its not rocket surgery...:lol::lol::lol:

And as Ron said make sure it is federally approved or someone will make a federal case out of it.....:rolleyes:

Check W&B
Check density altitude
Check out the new cashier at the Piggly Wiggly

To answer the original question.....

Just use the #@%^& thing and everyone quit trying to make a federal case over a seat belt extender.

Its not rocket surgery...:lol::lol::lol:

And as Ron said make sure it is federally approved or someone will make a federal case out of it.....:rolleyes:

Check W&B
Check density altitude
Check out the new cashier at the Piggly Wiggly

Ha....

Key word there is PIGGLY WIGGLY...:rofl::yesnod:

Not to thread hijack but I have someone who potentially might want to fly with me. I might let him if he can loose a little more weight.

In my case it's an Archer II not a 172 but same idea. Also a little worried about the step and wing walk... especially a step onto the flaps. Then worried about my access to the trim wheel, flap handle,etc.

I hate having to tell a friend he can't fly with me but I'm genuinely worried about the safety of it and that has to outweigh feelings.

If your step can't take 300+ pounds, you need a new step.

Base your decision on actual facts.

I can and have put 300 lb passengers in the right seat of an Archer. You're being ridiculous.

A Warrior works fine, too.

Last edited:
If we were only talking 300, I wouldn't worry but I know he's been significantly heavier than that. I don't know where he is now, I don't ask and generally don't care.

The last number he gave me when we broached the subject a while back would have involved fuel to tabs and some sort off ballast in the baggage area to get us into CG limits. I'm hoping his diet is working and he's lost weight since then. If he's down to say 350 I would probably be comfortable with it.

If we were only talking 300, I wouldn't worry but I know he's been significantly heavier than that. I don't know where he is now, I don't ask and generally don't care.

The last number he gave me when we broached the subject a while back would have involved fuel to tabs and some sort off ballast in the baggage area to get us into CG limits. I'm hoping his diet is working and he's lost weight since then. If he's down to say 350 I would probably be comfortable with it.
If you're are not comfortable just tell him. Go over weight and balance and tell him that you might exceed limiatations

Back