Seaplane Rating Complete

Landing Fees

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Landing Fees
It has been a while since I took a checkride. It was a challenging rating requiring attention to detail, precision and patience, three things I lack...

Also there was an inordinate amount of time spent on my weak areas, crosswinds, landings and crosswind landings.

I would do it again.

Last edited:
It has been a while since I took a checkride. It was a challenging rating requiring attention to detail, precision and patience, three three things I lack...

Also there was an inordinate amount of time spent on my weak areas, crosswinds, landings and especially crosswind landings.

I would do it again.

Need to work on that repeat habit ya got there. ;):D

Congrats? Where did you do this?

It has been a while since I took a checkride. It was a challenging rating requiring attention to detail, precision and patience, three three things I lack...

Also there was an inordinate amount of time spent on my weak areas, crosswinds, landings and especially crosswind landings.

I would do it again.
Ahoy matey, avast, keel haul the scurvy dog and all that knotical stuff. Congratulations

Congrats ,couldn’t have been to bad,by the looks of the airplane.

Seaplane is really fun. Did my first rides in a friend's Lake Amphibian, got the SES in a J-3 Cub on floats, then nada. Live on the water now, and I think my dock will accommodate a float plane. Hmmmm.

Seaplane is really fun. Did my first rides in a friend's Lake Amphibian, got the SES in a J-3 Cub on floats, then nada. Live on the water now, and I think my dock will accommodate a float plane. Hmmmm.

If I lived on a seaplane friendly body of water, I’d definitely get a nice seaplane docked at the house.

If I lived anywhere near navigable (and landable) body of water I might think about it at some point. Ahh the joys of being landlocked. Oh course, we never flood...

Unfortunately, salt water.

That’s a different story. Saltwater is evil stuff in regards to airplanes. There are a lot of lakes around NC & SC that one can land a seaplane on so I just need to buy an amphib of some sort. If I lived on one of the lakes, I could get away with straight floats but that limits one to water only.

Are these before or after pictures? :D

Congratulations. Seaplane is on my list of desired ratings for someday...

Congratulations!
One of my dream ratings! :)

In the form of a Jeopardy question ... "What is the most useless rating for an aviator in Colorado?"

Thinking we ought to form up protest flights :)

Congrats!

In the form of a Jeopardy question ... "What is the most useless rating for an aviator in Colorado?"

Congrats!

They do that fly in to the private lake every year. That’s about as “protesty” as seaplane pilots get, I suppose. LOL.

Congrats, IMO its the most freedom one can experience in aviation.

IMG_1899.jpg

That’s a different story. Saltwater is evil stuff in regards to airplanes. There are a lot of lakes around NC & SC that one can land a seaplane on so I just need to buy an amphib of some sort. If I lived on one of the lakes, I could get away with straight floats but that limits one to water only.

Lots of planes in BC and AK that have been flying in salt longer than many here have been alive, personally I don't land mine in salt, but it's really not that big of a deal, just got to spend a little more prep and cleaning and etc time.

Last edited:
Lots of planes in BC and AK that have been flying in salt longer than many here have been alive, personally I don't land mine in salt, but it's really not that big of a deal, just got to spend a little more prep and cleaning and etc time.

And though I probably would not land mine (if I had one) on saltwater as a matter of routine, I might if the right motivations or opportunities were there. And I would immediately give it a thorough cleaning when I get back to a place where I could do so. However if I lived on saltwater as Ken does, I would not base my plane on it. The constant exposure would be a big concern in my opinion.

Unfortunately, salt water.

Me, too. Doesn't stop Kenmore Air from flying down here from fresh water in Seattle to Olympia to drop or pick up people.

Congrats!

Stupid state legislature banning seaplanes from all public waters...

I'd love to get my SES, but then where would I rent one to continue the fun?

Me, too. Doesn't stop Kenmore Air from flying down here from fresh water in Seattle to Olympia to drop or pick up people.

Stupid state legislature banning seaplanes from all public waters...

I'd love to get my SES, but then where would I rent one to continue the fun?

I got to see Kenmore Air today from Skagit, WA. A few years ago I got to see them from Bamfield, BC. Still haven’t gotten a flight with them.

I got to see Kenmore Air today from Skagit, WA. A few years ago I got to see them from Bamfield, BC. Still haven’t gotten a flight with them.

I see them coming into and leaving Budd Inlet in Olympia. They fly up and down the east side of Budd Inlet, I live on the west side. Those radials on their Beavers sure sound nice.

Congrats! Seaplanes are what got me back interested in becoming a pilot! Took a couple of PP lessons in high school and then life got in the way. 30 years later, after a trip to Alaska, I was absolutely convinced that I want to fly, and eventually fly seaplanes! Not in Alaska, too dadgum cold, but maybe Florida! I just Solo'ed in a DA20 last week so I am on my way!

Congrats! Seaplanes are what got me back interested in becoming a pilot! Took a couple of PP lessons in high school and then life got in the way. 30 years later, after a trip to Alaska, I was absolutely convinced that I want to fly, and eventually fly seaplanes! Not in Alaska, too dadgum cold, but maybe Florida! I just Solo'ed in a DA20 last week so I am on my way!

Indeed

Attachments

• 4C566496-3636-40D6-86D4-9B606639A0B9.jpeg
    4C566496-3636-40D6-86D4-9B606639A0B9.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 14
Back