SE Alaska flying, help with emergency gear

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
Plan to fly around SE Alaska next summer, from Seattle to Cordova and back.
The purpose of the trip is to enjoy the scenery from the plane.
If time and weather allow, we may do a day kayaking trip in Glacier Bay.
I have a 1976 C182 with BRS.
I have a 406 PLB.
I read Katamarino's extensive checklists, but not sure I need all the items (especially the very expensive raft).

In case of engine failure away from an airport, we will pull the chute.
Given the possibility of ditching in water, we would need:
- life raft
https://www.lrse.com/collections/av...compact-liferaft-w-canopy?variant=42739299918

- life vests
- dry or wet suits?
- maybe a SPOT or satellite phone?
- bear spray
- anything else?

Google may be "your friend" but asking in POA is likely to get you pages of replies; some delivered with snark, others with gravitas.

You are wise to ask here, as you will have plenty of opine which you may winnow through and probably even get confirmation of what you were thinking in the first place.

As to recommendations from me, I cannot assist you, and Google apparently provides some answers. But I would wait for the experts here to set you straight.

There are emergency landing strips all along the waterways and the local 135 operators have them all mapped. I remember at least ten or twelve strips we maintained along the Lynn Canal between Juneau and Haines. They don't look like much and are probably difficult to see without being familiar, but a 182 would be able to use them OK.

You'll have to ask around for the locations, but it should be common knowledge.

With respect to pepper spray we carried it in a simple home-made canister. Just cut a section of PVC pipe, cement a cap on one end and a threaded connector on the other, then use a threaded cap on the threaded end. I'm told that's how some government aircraft carry it there.

If you take bear spray, do not carry it inside the airplane. For obvious reasons. As a professional pilot in Alaska I will not carry bear spray inside the plane. Outside baggage lockers or wing lockers is Ok.

Hand-held marine flares are an effective bear deterrent and can also be used as a beacon for rescuers in the case of emergency. Hand-held flares are effective because they affect more than one of the bear’s senses – sight, smell and hearing.

Last edited:
With respect to pepper spray we carried it in a simple home-made canister. Just cut a section of PVC pipe, cement a cap on one end and a threaded connector on the other, then use a threaded cap on the threaded end. I'm told that's how some government aircraft carry it there.

We carry our pepper spray in dry bags, hoping they will contain the spray in case it goes off in flight.

Dry or wet suits won’t help you unless you’re wearing them, and you won’t. Survival suits? Maybe. If you can get into them in time. Inflatable life vests are the choice for most guys. Sat phone, a reliable tracker, and a good camera are the only items I’d add to a standard survival kit. People like to say survival gear isn’t camping gear. I like to take the same gear I’d take hunting. Sleeping bags, tent, cooking stuff, etc. Chances are better you’ll need to sit out bad weather than survive an accident. Sitting out in comfort helps assure you don’t push your luck.

I’ve got no problem carrying properly stowed bear spray. I’ve never seen one go off unintentionally in a store or in a pack. I prefer guns but wifey likes bear spray, and I’m good with that.

There are emergency landing strips all along the waterways and the local 135 operators have them all mapped. I remember at least ten or twelve strips we maintained along the Lynn Canal between Juneau and Haines.

Hmmmm. I've been flying the Lynn Canal and SE Alaska for the last 10 years for various Juneau 135 operators with well over 1000 trips between Juneau and Haines/Skagway. There is only 1 landing strip between Juneau and Haines. That's at Glacier Point. There are various beaches that MAY be suitable or they may have VW sized bouders on the exposed beach. Depends on the tides. Sometimes the water is better than the beach. There are no maintained emergency strips along the Lynn Canal and I've never seen a map of such.

To the OP. Listen to the CTAF freq for the area and announce location, direction of flight or destination and altitude at various landmarks. Listen to what the 135 guys and gals are doing and don't be afraid to ask for help with something. If you are going to fly IFR, be proficient at flying entire approaches and holds. No VTF in SE Alaska and it's all 1 in, 1 out, even at Juneau. No radar below about 10,000 ft without ADS-B. Be very conservative with fuel planning, especially if IFR and have an out. ALWAYS. Icing in the Summer is a real possibility. Spot and/or sat phone is a good idea although cell coverage is better than you might expect along the inside passage. Be very careful with bear spray.

SE Alaska take flying to a whole new level of scenic fun. Have fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20150503_191855.jpg
    IMG_20150503_191855.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 22
Here's my pepper spray story. Actually, it my cousin Fred's, but he has an actual experience of being clawed by the grisly bear, and feels that pepper spray ended up saving his friend's life and maybe his as well.

There are emergency landing strips all along the waterways and the local 135 operators have them all mapped. I remember at least ten or twelve strips we maintained along the Lynn Canal between Juneau and Haines. They don't look like much and are probably difficult to see without being familiar, but a 182 would be able to use them OK.

You'll have to ask around for the locations, but it should be common knowledge.

How long ago was this? I just came off a three year stint flying 135 up and down the Lynn Canal, among other places in the SE and there is only one emergency strip between Haines and Juneau and that is at Glacier Point.

There is a wide area CTAF frequency that everyone reports position on. It is 122.9. The Juneau Airspace Letter of Agreement sets out routes and reporting points. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...A_REV_25.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1vGlX1wgyo2qy_hEMOfNsr

If the link doesn't work, just Google it.

Fuel is available for sure in KTN, SIT, and JNU. Last I was there, GST also had fuel. Fuel can be arranged in HNS, but it take a bit of doing. I think you can also arrange to get fuel in PSP and possible WRG, but again, it takes some finagling.

Back