School me on the IPad /GPS /Wx ext

Sxpilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Sxpilot
Hello fellow aviators, I've been away from aviation for now 16 years, last airplane I flew was MU-2's and we had Hand held Lorance GPS,s to help out with Vfr nav.

I recently purchased a Lancair that is not equipped with much in the way of Nav, just an old Bendix King Sky View.

Can someone school me on the pros and cons of Using an IPad vs Portable GPS?
I've read some ppl are having over heating issues with the iPad?

Any help would be appreciated, all I'm doing is trying to gain enough knowledge in order to make a informed decision.

Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3837.JPG
    IMG_3837.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 28
iPad and iPhone have rendered my dedicated GPS obsolete. When used with Garmin Pilot (my favorite) and a GDL39-3D my iDevices are pretty freaking incredible tools. Much more feature-rich and easier to navigate the features than any GPS I've owned. Easy to keep updated, too, not only with charts but the apps continue to improve. I'll never buy another GPS.

What are your goals for getting either? Situational awareness? Neither can be used to give you GPS approach or input to AP for navigation. Both can be used like paper charts for navigation. If you travel much or far either is cheaper than buying stacks of paper sectionals, low IFR charts, approach plates and AFD (whatever it's called now).

I used to have a Garmin 396 with XM weather. I moved to an iPad with WingX and ADS-B weather. More people like Foreflight, but when I made a selection only WingX had ADS-B weather. After dropping money on an ADS-B receiver I'm not moving; and Foreflight _only_ works with Stratus/Stratux receivers. WingX and other apps work with multiple ADS-B receivers.

Having all the charts and documentation on one device is fantastic. Plus with ADS-B data I see weather and traffic data on those charts. It makes a big difference being able to "see" the weather on the charts to help avoid it. It's also nice to know you have all of the charts all of the time.

Others can tell you far more about the portable GPS systems such as Garmin 796 and others.

My goals for SA, since I bought a VFR panel aircraft my plan was sectionals and pilotage. Lol initially...old school

But in reality I want to get current with the latest portable technology.

I fly my plane mainly on the west coast Az/CA and I can see that having a gps and live weather would be great! As well as the ads-b

I've read the iPads get hot and overheat with my type of canopy? I see there is a fan cradle,
Has anyone experienced this heat issue? Or is a non issue?

Thanks for the comments so far, helpful no doubt

I've owned a few portable aviation-specific GPSs; doubt I'll ever buy one again. When the iPad came out seven years ago I jumped aboard and never looked back. They're really outstanding for aviation applications. I highly recommend everyone fly with one and ditch the paper as well as any other portable GPS gear they may have.

Some people have experienced overheating problems. I haven't, and I lived in Florida until last year. If you keep the iPad out of direct sunlight it doesn't seem to be a problem. What I really like about the iPad is that it extends my GTN 650 onto the iPad itself, so it's like an extension of the panel. For VFR use they are excellent as well, a great moving map GPS/chart viewer with lots of extra functionality in a perfect form factor size. The airplane you see in the photo is my Twin Comanche and I usually fly with two iPads, one Mini 2 mounted on the yoke and an iPad Pro 9.7 that floats. I use them from the flight planning phase all the way through approach and landing. ADS-B traffic, weather, all of that stuff. Can't see enough good things about the iPad!

Quick word about Android vs. iPad. Some people like Android based EFBs, but be aware they're in the heavy minority. The best and most commonly used aviation apps (Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, Jepp Mobile FD) are for the iPad only. Yes, Garmin Pilot has an Android port but it's poor and lacking many of the features available in the iPad version; I don't count it. I always recommend to stick with what most of the aviation world uses, which is the iPad. You won't regret it.

And the added ADHRS from the GDL is important to consider, too. Lots of E-ABs are flying with a radio, a couple of engine temp gauges, and an iPad. Add the ADHRS and you have an AH, synthetic vision, ADS-B in for weather and traffic....

A Garmin GDL39-3D will drive Garmin Pilot or Foreflight. Do you have an iDevice now? You can sign up for 30 day free trials of the popular apps. That'll keep you busy. Better yet, find a pilot friend who uses one or another and ask for a demo. A lot has changed during your 16 year absence.

Hey Ryan thanks for the input, I do already have an iPad 9.7,
I'm going to subscribe to Forflight, for 200 a year seems like a deal.
Will I need an iPad with GPS/Sim card or will my standard 9.7 work?

Hey Ryan thanks for the input, I do already have an iPad 9.7,
I'm going to subscribe to Forflight, for 200 a year seems like a deal.
Will I need an iPad with GPS/Sim card or will my standard 9.7 work?

Is it Wifi-only or LTE-enabled? The iPads with cellular service have the GPS chip built in. NOT to be confused with the GPS being associated with the cell signal; it's not. But Apple includes GPS chips on their cellular-enabled models only.

Stewartb I don't have any gps device,

But you said ForeFlight only works with Stratus 2 correct?
Will the garmin gdl39 work with ForeFlight?

I always recommend to stick with what most of the aviation world uses, which is the iPad. You won't regret it.

Please provide your source for the bold claim that "most of the aviation world" uses the iPad. I'm betting paper is still predominant tout la monde.

The Garmin GDL39 (no ADHRS) and GDL39-3D (w/ADHRS) will work with Garmin Pilot and Foreflight. Both will provide GPS and ADS-B in services (weather, limited traffic, etc) to your iPad. The Stratus units do the same but won't run Garmin Pilot. I prefer GP, just let my long time Foreflight subscription go, and never used the other alternatives enough to comment on them. My new Cub has a Garmin G3X Touch so I'm sticking with Garmin Pilot and the familiar operating scheme. No criticism of any of the other options, just qualifying why I use what I do.

The only thing I would like a dedicated portable GPS for is adding a GTN6XX series sized screen to instrument panel that can be hardwired via RS232 to my ADS-B in source (GTX-345). Then I can display the ADS-B (IN) products on the Ipad mini wirelessly and two wired displays, all simultaneously. (Aera 660)

I have used Garmin in the past and always liked their products.
I'll look into the GDL 39-3D

My two cents re: Foreflight and Garmin Pilot. If you use them as moving maps pay attention to the screen view. Foreflight uses charts primarily. Garmin uses a chart view or the very familiar topo map view, which is what I grew up with using Garmin gps products. I have no love for chart views and prefer the high def topo maps but that's purely subjective. Foreflight has an awesome aerial view but it requires cell connectivity. They hook you on the demo and leave you hanging in the field. :(

Google or search this site for Stratux receivers, too. If you're using Foreflight that's a popular alternative. I have no experience with them myself.

One last thing. Before you "jump" into the iPad and a GDL or equivalent? You really should look at the Garmin GPS units that offer XM weather. The newer ones can also connect to a GDL for ADS-B stuff but if weather is your priority? A lot of guys prefer XM over ADS-B. Take a look at both and see what trips your trigger.

Please provide your source for the bold claim that "most of the aviation world" uses the iPad. I'm betting paper is still predominant tout la monde.

*sigh*

Foreflight has an awesome aerial view but it requires cell connectivity. They hook you on the demo and leave you hanging in the field. :(

Huh? You can download it all for off-line viewing in FF, just as you can in GP. Perhaps you never downloaded the charts/layers?

Not the aerial (satellite) view. I've talked to FF more than once about it.

Not the aerial (satellite) view. I've talked to FF more than once about it.

Ah. That one. I was thinking you were referencing the Aeronautical maps.

I'm guessing the Aerial Maps, because they zoom in to very high detail, would require a huge download. Perhaps that's why they're not available off-line. There's an entry in the FAQ about the Aerial maps and they suggest a workaround - viewing the area you want while connected to the internet just before flight and then let the cache hold it in memory. Bit of a cheesy hack, though.

I don't usually use that view anyway, myself.

I recommend an iPad mini ($350) with cellular, Foreflight ($100/yr) and a Scout ($200 @ Amazon) ADS-B receiver. The cellular ipad comes with GPS and can be used on the ground for weather checks. In the air the ipad will use the Scout ADS-B weather and traffic. You will be amazed what you get for functionality. Perfect set-up for VFR. By 2020 you will need to add ADS-B out depending on where you plan to fly.

This can also upload and download flight plans to a Garmin IFR navigator (GTN-650 or GNS-430) using flightstream 210 if you want a nice IFR set-up.

I was an Avionics Systems engineer for 15 years and then I changed careers plus took a 9 year break from flying. I was amazed at Foreflight on the ipad. Navigation and flight planning is now so easy. Just follow the magenta line. I never use the VOR and DME any more for VFR flying.

That's some good info for sure!
The 2020 rule I'll have to bite the bullet and spend some cash.
In my thinking I'll save up and upgrade my panel if I decide to keep the airplane by then.
Still not sure if I want to go faster with the 360

Somehow I doubt this, unless limited to VFR only pilots.

The PoAers who fly for a living can chime in, but every commercial and corporate pilot I know has a tablet for flight planning, and every single one of them is an iPad. I don't think most of the software they use runs on any other operating system.

Last edited:
Stewartb I don't have any gps device,

But you said ForeFlight only works with Stratus 2 correct?

Not correct.

If your iPad does not have a built in GPS there are any number of external devices that can provide that signal for Foreflight. I used a $100 Garmin GLO before I replaced my iPad with one that had an internal GPS.

For ADS-B In traffic and weather the lowest cost device appears to be Foreflight's own "Scout". It's $200, smaller than a BIC lighter. I bought one at Oshkosh this year and it works extraordinarily well. Sirius also supports Foreflight with XM satellite weather, but it ain't cheap.

If you want AHRS for the artificial horizon in Foreflight I think the Appereo Stratus 2 is the only option, its comparatively expensive, but it also provides the GPS and ADS-B inputs as well. Used units are starting to show up for sale as people install panel mount ADS-B In options as part of their 2020 upgrade. There is a homebrew box alternative you can build and there is a thread or three on this site about that.

Last edited:
Hello fellow aviators, I've been away from aviation for now 16 years, last airplane I flew was MU-2's and we had Hand held Lorance GPS,s to help out with Vfr nav.

I recently purchased a Lancair that is not equipped with much in the way of Nav, just an old Bendix King Sky View.

Can someone school me on the pros and cons of Using an IPad vs Portable GPS?
I've read some ppl are having over heating issues with the iPad?

Any help would be appreciated, all I'm doing is trying to gain enough knowledge in order to make a informed decision.

Thank you

There are not many pilots buying portable GPS these days.

Somehow I doubt this, unless limited to VFR only pilots.

The PoAers who fly for a living can chime in, but every commercial and corporate pilot I know has a tablet for flight planning, and every single one of them is an iPad. I don't think most of the software they use runs on any other operating system.

You are correct. There are folks who run Android-based tablets, but they're in the minority -- by a lot. Foreflight owns the massive lion's share of the GA EFB software market, and of course that product is available for the iPad only. Jeppesen Mobile FD (which I'm required to have for work, and is used by most professional pilots) only runs on the iPad. Just about every corporate flight department out there uses iPads. I haven't run into a single one who uses the Android platform. As far as GA pilots go, tablets are increasingly common, paper is increasingly rare, and that's a good thing. Finally, love them or hate them, iPads are by far the preferred flavor. I've gotten into this discussion a few times, usually with people who make it a point to be anti-Apple or anti-EFB, and generally don't care to argue it anymore... it's a pretty silly debate at this point.

People are certainly free to use what they want, including paper, but anyone wading into the waters and asking for advice on this subject should be made aware that it will be an uphill battle going with a non-iPad solution for their aviation-based tablet needs.

Ipads are great. Even with a panel full of goodies, it can be easy to find yourself using the magenta line for nav. Ipads, phones, etc. Will freeze. Not often but they will. Have a second one on hand (typically the phone in your pocket) and if you are using the thing in IFR, know it is supplemental only, and don't be that idiot that gets caught in a predicament and gets lost because his gps stopped working and didn't have the nav radios loaded up. ATC assumes you have GPS most of the time, the one on your ipad doesn't count as legal, but it will make you an insanely accurate dead reckoner... When under radar coverage you can let them know what heading you want to your destination and they'll gladly give it to you.
I have both foreflight and Garmin Pilot (negotiated GP with GTN subscriptions!) Both are good and work. There are truly free ones that work almost as well, if not as well or better.

About your iPad 9.7
if it's an iPad 1 no.. it won't work.
If it's an iPad 2, yes..but it will be slow (mine is)
iPad 3,4 a little better and maybe ok.
If it's a new version, never mind, you're good.

Back