Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
Okay, the title says it all. I don't know to much about these little buggers except that I was tempted to buy some and grill them the other day, and I have a fairly good idea on how to go about it but not really.

Here's what got me started. I have four people to cook for. One whole chicken is about as much as I can fit on the grill. I normally like to cut it in half and cook it direct heat. That is awkward though for four people of full size. Ideally I want four chicken halves but that isn't going to work out, space wise, even with the small chickens.

So, Cornish game hens. They are small. I could probably allocate two per person. Maybe. It is different. What say ye, the pilotage wealth of experience and knowledge? What is the best way to cook them? Or should I give up the idea?

cast iron skillet.

that's probably not true but I just got one so I'm cookin' e'rthing in it. toast? cast iron skillet. corny game hens? cast iron skillet.

They're just little chickens. Treat them as such.

On the KCBS circuit Cornish hens = chicken.

Roast, grill, smoke, whatever you do to a big chicken you can do to a little chicken.

cast iron skillet.
Mmm. Chicken under a brick.

Bottom:
chicken-brick.jpg

Top:
img59l.jpg

Okay I am opting to go with the flattening method by cutting the backbone out, then grilling direct. Rubbed down with lemon rosemary sauce.

True... I usually stuff seasoning under the skin when I do thighs, leg quarters or breasts.

Cornish Game hens are nothing more than Cornish Cross birds slaughtered at 5 week or less between 1-2 lbs max. They are just chickens that have not gone to full maturity, kind of like veal if you will. I used to raise a bunch and fill my freezer in 8-10 weeks. I went 12 weeks on a few just to see what would happen and dare I say the bird was too big and a pain in the ass to cook. Think mini-turkey.......... They also couldn't walk anymore.

Ain't nothing exotic or special about them. They is chicken, maang!:stirpot:

Yeah, they were okay. Personally I would have preferred two big chickens halved on the grill, but I don't have the grill space for that. Just wanted to try something different. I might try whole ones, indirect some time.

Back