Scallops are amazing.

that looks dayum good. I have to imagine this is at a restaurant because surely you would have cooked more than 3 at home.

Those look gritty. :eek:

Just kidding, I agree, grilled scallops can’t be beat.

I love properly prepared scallops! But I only ever order scallops from nice restaurants that know how to make them. Same with calamari.

I've never tried making them myself. I have no doubt they'd come out wrong, with a texture much like chewing on pencil erasers.

I love properly prepared scallops! But I only ever order scallops from nice restaurants that know how to make them. Same with calamari.

I've never tried making them myself. I have no doubt they'd come out wrong, with a texture much like chewing on pencil erasers.
Screaming hot pan, add a bit of olive oil, make sure the scallops are completelymdry, add a bit of salt & pepper. Drop into pan, turn in about 90-120 seconds, cook same on the other side. Each side should look like the photo, nice crisp, sear.

Screaming hot pan, add a bit of olive oil, make sure the scallops are completelymdry, add a bit of salt & pepper. Drop into pan, turn in about 90-120 seconds, cook same on the other side. Each side should look like the photo, nice crisp, sear.

Vegetable or canola oil, NOT olive oil. Olive oil burns before the pan is hot enough. But they really are the easiest thing in the world to cook.

Vegetable or canola oil, NOT olive oil. Olive oil burns before the pan is hot enough. But they really are the easiest thing in the world to cook.
True....you want an oil,that stands up to heat.

Try a pan full of bay scallops (the size of the last joint on your pinkie finger) instead of those monster sea scallops. Can't be beat--fried, baked or cooked in sauce. But they are hard to grill . . . .

Mmmmm vacuum cleaner bag contents. Nom nom nom.

Grilled, broiled or seared, doesn't matter, as long as they are cooked correctly, it's good eating.

If you want to talk properly cooked scallops, there is only one option in the world. Faviken in Jarpen, Sweden. These hand-collected scallops from the Baltic Sea delivered to the restaurant daily are prepared by steaming them in their shell (without any adulterations). They are served in their shells (with their cooking liquid) over a bed of burning jumiper branches.

They are naturally sweet and taste of the ocean. When combined with the smell of smoking juniper branches the results are probably the best bites of food I have ever tasted. It was one of those times when after you finish, you’re a bit sad because you know nothing will ever be this good again.

The background for the dish and the recipe can be found here: http://www.phaidon.com/food/recipes/scallop-i-skalet-ur-elden-cooked-over-burning-juniper-branches/

4F563424-0B01-4190-BAC5-ED708D0458EF.jpeg

Thank you for this thread and allowing me to relive one of the best nights and definitely the best meal of my life.

Last edited:
Grilled, broiled or seared, doesn't matter, as long as they are cooked correctly, it's good eating.
Cooked? Good scallops are delicious raw. Bonus points if you have to take your regulator out of your mouth to eat them.

Nauga,
rigged

Cooked? Good scallops are delicious raw. Bonus points if you have to take your regulator out of your mouth to eat them.

Nauga,
rigged

REPORTED for animal cruelty!!!!! wwwaahhhhhh!!! bivalves have feelings too, ya know! waahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Nauga,
rigged
How does the shell taste? LOL I haev caught them diving but never considered eating them there. Hunted Ling Cod to!

Peanut oil is the most resistant to burning at high temp.
Sunflower oil is fine, too. Once nicely browned, serve with a few drops of premium olive oil.

Fresh scallops are of course the best. But the frozen ones at Aldi are not bad at all.

A local French place serves up thin-sliced scallops, cooked but cooled, with a light vinaigrette dressing, for its cold appetizer. Worth paying for.

A lot of restaurants overlook them. Easy to over cook. Scallops are delish, right up there with shrimps, tails, lobster, and crabs.

If you want to talk properly cooked scallops, there is only one option in the world. Faviken in Jarpen, Sweden. These hand-collected scallops from the Baltic Sea delivered to the restaurant daily are prepared by steaming them in their shell (without any adulterations). They are served in their shells (with their cooking liquid) over a bed of burning jumiper branches.

They are naturally sweet and taste of the ocean. When combined with the smell of smoking juniper branches the results are probably the best bites of food I have ever tasted. It was one of those times when after you finish, you’re a bit sad because you know nothing will ever be this good again.

The background for the dish and the recipe can be found here: http://www.phaidon.com/food/recipes/scallop-i-skalet-ur-elden-cooked-over-burning-juniper-branches/

View attachment 65626

Thank you for this thread and allowing me to relive one of the best nights and definitely the best meal of my life.

That is how I like to cook oysters as well. Not over juniper branches, but laid directly on hot charcoal coals. When you see a slight puff of steam, they are done and you open them up and eat them. Nothing matches the taste. And yes, I eat them raw too.

Getting fresh seafood in Denver is impossible. I love scallops fresh, but it has to wait until I’m near a coast where they actually harvest the things.

No, the flash frozen and overnighted stuff we get just isn’t the same.

#landlocked

IMG_0977.JPG

Last time at the beach. Rinsed in water, then breaded with Moss' Seafood breader, no egg wash. Yum!

Getting fresh seafood in Denver is impossible. I love scallops fresh, but it has to wait until I’m near a coast where they actually harvest the things.

No, the flash frozen and overnighted stuff we get just isn’t the same.

#landlocked
No sushi for you. (Note: most sushi fish served Un the US must be frozen to kill parasites)

No sushi for you. (Note: most sushi fish served Un the US must be frozen to kill parasites)

There’s two places I trust with sushi in Denver. One owned by a Japanese family, the other is expensive as hell.

And it isn’t the same as elsewhere. But it’ll ride me over until the next visit to somewhere with actual ocean nearby. :)

Back