Says it all really.

Its going to a shop for GFC500 next, like as soon as I can sneek out from under this morning's overcast

Wow...nice setup you have there.

Wow...nice setup you have there.

I don't even wanna know how man hours it was, had to be well over 200 but we did a lot of stuff to it, new comm antennas all new coax, new CB panel, overhauled all pilot/static instruments, replaced most of the pitot/static tubing (pretty clear the airplane hadn't been IFR cert for a log time). Dad helped me every weekend for about 4 weeks. I worked on it probably 3-5 hours a day during the week.

Last edited:
Was that a 650 gps how long have you had or did you do it to looks good

Looks nice. Once gyros start to fail we’ll probably be in line to add the G5s to a nearly identical panel.

Was that a 650 gps how long have you had or did you do it to looks good

Bought the airplane with a 625 and two KX155 in it, dumped the 625 and one KX155 for a 650 via Garmin dealer.

Expecting to pick it up next week with a GFC500 autopilot installed with electric pitch trim option.

Only other thing on the wish list is an engine monitor and maybe some sort of standby alternator

I'm sure dad is considering dumping the remaining King radio too. It's actually pretty new looking and built after Honeywell took over the brand so it's not 50 years old like a lot of the ebay ones are.

I know there are a couple reports of the G5s leaning to one side or the other or flashing the message "aligning keep wings level" after steep turns or turbulence but without actually seeing how they were installed and verifying that all the requirements of the install manual were met its difficult to say if its a hardware problem or an install problem.

Anyway, the manual says the instrument panel must be at least 0.040 thick aluminum (IIRC), the 182 was .050 I think. I made two .040 plates to sandwich the OEM panel between them with a filler of .050, and ended up with .130.

Anyway, we picked up the airplane yesterday in Greeley Colorado from these guys and test flew the GFC500 https://advancedaerotech.com. I would use them again in a heartbeat.

I had tried to make the G5s fail in turbulence, steep turns, rudder swings everything. Yesterday we got beat to death in turbulence flying around Greeley. It was horrible trying to make a new autopilot do what I wanted, mostly because the user interface was all new to me. Once I got it turned on and holding altitude and heading the whole thing blew me away. This thing is rock solid. Shot LPV into 10 and it just does it. The electric/auto pitch trim is seamless.

I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. This is Dad's "retirement" airplane and he flew it 3 hours home by himself from Greeley while I followed in the Cardinal. His first full featured autopilot experience, the smile is huge.

About a month after he bough this airplane Garmin announced STC for the G5s. I never thought the autopilot would follow. A lot stars aligned to get us here as he was looking at other autopilots , had planned on getting a new one and hand money to do it. I'm glad I got him into this system. From a MX standpoint its a no brainer. A brand new replacement G5 is around $1200. A brand new GSA28 replacement servo is under $2k. (Trutrak should be similar) The other guys can't even repair their products for that.

Attachments

• IMG_3495.JPG
    IMG_3495.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3574.JPG
    IMG_3574.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_3731.JPG
    IMG_3731.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3739.JPG
    IMG_3739.JPG
    184.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Looks nice. Once gyros start to fail we’ll probably be in line to add the G5s to a nearly identical panel.
I just overhauled my vacuum AI, but it certainly will be the last overhaul my vacuum gyros get. It's getting very difficult to find anyone willing to work on them. Ended up sending my gyro to Steve at centennial instruments near KAPA. Saves me $1500 over a g5 which right now I'd rather put into safety upgrades, but the next gyro to go bad I too will be in the G5 boat.

I just overhauled my vacuum AI, but it certainly will be the last overhaul my vacuum gyros get. It's getting very difficult to find anyone willing to work on them. Ended up sending my gyro to Steve at centennial instruments near KAPA. Saves me $1500 over a g5 which right now I'd rather put into safety upgrades, but the next gyro to go bad I too will be in the G5 boat.
There are electrical gyros that do not cost that much. Put two electrical gyros in it and do away with the vac system for the cost of a G5.

Mine is going in Tuesday for 2 g5 and a gfc500. Cant wait.

Its going to a shop for GFC500 next, like as soon as I can sneek out from under this morning's overcast

Overcast? With a panel like that, never heard of her ;)

I picked up dad's airplane again, just love this system. I have a CGR-30P in a box waiting to meet this airplane.

Attachments

• untitl5ed.png
    untitl5ed.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
I picked up dad's airplane again, just love this system. I have a CGR-30P in a box waiting to meet this airplane.

Very similar to what I just did. You'll love it. I wish I had the nicer autopilot, but my KAP 140 is good enough that I couldn't justify the expense.

What is glowing your N-number under the G5s in that picture? Looks like it might be a transponder, but I can see your transponder elsewhere.

What is glowing your N-number under the G5s in that picture? Looks like it might be a transponder, but I can see your transponder elsewhere.

Looks like a placard reflecting the overhead red light to me... ?

I got all excited though, a glowing N number would be pretty cool.

Looks like a placard reflecting the overhead red light to me... ?

I got all excited though, a glowing N number would be pretty cool.

Is that all it is? Heh. Unusual location...I've always seen them much higher on the panel.

Is that all it is? Heh. Unusual location...I've always seen them much higher on the panel.

It is in an unusual location and the lighting in that picture is just the overhead flood light.

Attachments

• u4ntitled.png
    u4ntitled.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
Here is a better pic showing autopilot annunciation.

Attachments

• untitl6ed.png
    untitl6ed.png
    885.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Back