Say type Bonanza

He's right. :D

That's an important distinction. That way we know whether it's an actual doctor killer or just a plane that doctors happen to perish in whilst flying. ;)

Actually the last models to be called "Debonair" were the C33/C33A. The D33 was a military counter-insurgency prototype.

pd-249b.jpg

Been thinking about repaint. Now I have my design. Wonder if I can affix some hard points, and maybe a rocket or two?

"...too close for missiles - going to guns" :rofl:

When I was flying dual CC as a student my CFI said to go ahead and descend with power. I got like 180 knots indicated.

The controller said "Cherokee, say type."
-Cherokee is PAPA ALPHA two eight BRAVO
"Roger, Dakota."

You went 20 knots faster than the last indicated Airspeed on Cherokee ASI and about 30 knots faster than max structural speed as a student with a CFI?

Is experimental stenciled somewhere on the plane?

I don't seem to have this kind of problem anymore... they just see the speed I'm going and center asks "Experimental 642TX, which model of RV are you?" :D

I usually don't bother to correct a controller if he gets my type wrong. Often I'll hear "Skylane" from ATC in response to my "Skyhawk" -- no biggie.

Yesterday for some reason a controller called me "Bonanza 7YQ," and I just let it go, smug in the thought that my radar blip was moving across his screen fast enough to make such misidentification possible. But then he told another inbound airplane that his traffic was a "Bonanza" (me) five miles out. Since the outward appearance of my airplane was now relevant to someone else, I felt constrained to comment that the purported "Bonanza" was merely a lowly Skyhawk.

Last edited:
This has me wondering: to ATC, what difference does it make whether we are a Bonanza or a Skylane, or a Chancellor? Is it professional pride to ident the specific model or is there some database they plug into and get information like TAS that is useful for their planning? Does ATC seriously know or appreciate the difference between a PA-28 and a PA-32, an Arrow or an Archer?

Approaching the pattern at an uncontrolled field, what's useful is if I hear 'twin' something or 'Cirrus xCD' then I know I'm dealing with something considerably faster than me and can plan accordingly.

But with ATC I've been called different makes (cardinal, skylane) and as a 172 I too don't bother to correct. Should I?

Don't feel bad OP, I get called a skylane all the time.

I'll come back once with 'skywagon' and if they don't bite, I'm skylane from there on.

I had one controller I did that to, and he came back with "SKYYYYYYYWAGON! five one sierra!" ........ like, "woohoo! well, La-de-freakin'-da!" :lol:

72053-Chris-Farley-Matt-Foley-dancin-Mkdc.gif

I get a little peeved when I'm called a Skyhawk. If anything I'm closer to a Cutless, but certainly not a Skyhawk :rolleyes2: Though the time I got asked to "Say type" and I replied with "Skylane" he goes "Oh. I thought you were a Centurion by your speed." I said something along the lines of "well the wheels do fold up!" :lol:

It's funny, it bothers me more when they call the Skylane a SKYHAWK than when they call the Conquest a Citation.:dunno: :rofl:

I get a little peeved when I'm called a Skyhawk. If anything I'm closer to a Cutless, but certainly not a Skyhawk :rolleyes2: Though the time I got asked to "Say type" and I replied with "Skylane" he goes "Oh. I thought you were a Centurion by your speed." I said something along the lines of "well the wheels do fold up!" :lol:

I always get controllers telling traffic "follow the stationair on downwind you're #2" problem is I'm not a 206 or 207, I'm a 208

The old Debonairs are a BE-35-(A B or C) -33

BE-35-C-33

Last edited:
We all take pride in the equipment we fly. I was dragging some F-15s across the country and when an airliner asked what we were refueling for his picture. I accidentally said F-16s. Never heard the end of it at the bar that night...:mad2::nonod:

Actually the last models to be called "Debonair" were the C33/C33A. The D33 was a military counter-insurgency prototype.

http://www.kamov.net/american-aircraft/beech-33-debonair/#sthash.tbCmsbuk.dpuf

pd-249b.jpg

Here is the answer to our border troubles. The government could buy a fleet of these for the price of one drone, and there would be line a mile long of volunteers ready to take command of a Bo Gunship, free of charge. Uncle Sam Wants YOU for the USVBP. :yes:

Navions would work too.

I was flying a Skipper at a class C a couple of weeks ago and the controller kept calling me a Baron. I was doing about 65 kts and climbing at 200fpm :)

Here is the answer to our border troubles. The government could buy a fleet of these for the price of one drone, and there would be line a mile long of volunteers ready to take command of a Bo Gunship, free of charge. Uncle Sam Wants YOU for the USVBP. :yes:

Navions would work too.

Those would be over $2MM a copy new.

That'd be one I'd like to fly... and use to take out some the HOA and everything they stand for.

HOA (Home Owners Association) Destroyer. AKA Zoning's Zen.

This thread begs the question: do you say type when calling up initially for FF?
I normally say "Cherokee 12345" and they just call me by "November 345" but never ask for type. I know it matters what type A/C one flies so that the controller can anticipate one's performance.
So I wonder whether a simple "Cherokee 12345" suffices or whether the controller would appreciate if I disclosed "type Cherokee slow-as-snot 140".

Controller jury, what say you?

[mods, feel free to branch off into a separate thread if it seems like squawk 7500]

This thread begs the question: do you say type when calling up initially for FF?
I normally say "Cherokee 12345" and they just call me by "November 345" but never ask for type. I know it matters what type A/C one flies so that the controller can anticipate one's performance.
So I wonder whether a simple "Cherokee 12345" suffices or whether the controller would appreciate if I disclosed "type Cherokee slow-as-snot 140".
"Cherokee 12345" is appropriate for initial callup. But if a controller asks for type, or if I'm requesting radar service, I give the ICAO/FAA identifier (find them here).

Most aircraft have ICAO/FAA identifiers similar to the manufacturer's model number, but it can't exceed four characters, e.g., 'C172', 'BE35', 'AA5', etc. PA-28s are divided into six groups:

P28A = fixed-gear PA-28s up through 180 hp ("slow-as-snot" is implied)

P28B = fixed-gear PA-28s of 200+ hp (including Turbo Dakota, Cherokee 235, Charger, Pathfinder, Dakota)

P28R = low-tail Arrows (normally aspirated)

P28S = low-tail Arrows (turbocharged)

P28T = T-tail Arrows (normally aspirated)

P28U = T-tail Arrows (turbocharged)

A couple of days ago I heard ATC ask a guy for type. He replied "PA-28-236". The controller might or might not know what that is, but it would have been easier and more correct in context for him to just say "Papa two eight Bravo."

Last edited:
I don't remember what it was the Center controller kept calling me, but we got it resolved when he switched me over to approach control..."Roger GROUND CONTROL, FALCON 2DF....."

:lol:

We all take pride in the equipment we fly. I was dragging some F-15s across the country and when an airliner asked what we were refueling for his picture. I accidentally said F-16s. Never heard the end of it at the bar that night...:mad2::nonod:

Shoulda said the rearview had fallen off and you were just guessin

Controller jury, what say you?

[mods, feel free to branch off into a separate thread if it seems like squawk 7500]

If its quiet I would say Cherokee 12345 is a cherokee 140 (or pa28x) looking for flight following from xxx to xxx or whatever. If its busy just cherokee 12345 request flight following. You're strip will probably read pa28a and its not a big deal.

Actually there aren't many F33 out there, they are very rare, only 20 were ever produced, all in 1970. It is the small engine version IO470K (225 HP). If someone says they own an F33, I have found it is more likely they mean F33A, as the F33A was produced from 1970 thru 1994 and there were about 1500 of them produced. The F33A was manufactured with the IO520 285 HP engine and enjoys a big boost performance wise over the F33.

The first model 33's that were called a Bonanza was the E33, E33A, and E33C that were produced in 1968 and 1969. Their ICAO aircraft identifier is the same as the Debonair, BE33.

I say Cherokee 12345. I've never been asked anymore about the type.

I say Cherokee 12345. I've never been asked anymore about the type.

Ask me how often I saw my strip entered as C172. :D
Not that it matters, 172 or 140, we're both slow-as-snot. :lol:

I usually have the attitude that if the controller cares what exact type of Cherokee I am, he can always ask. I don't want to congest the frequency any more than I already am.

FWIW I fly a Debonair way more often then I fly a Bonanza. Roughly 50% of the controllers end up calling me a Bonanza no matter how often I say Debonair. Once they call me a Bonanza I just switch to Bonanza to avoid confusing them.

Same here. Center and approach controllers mostly say November xxxx. Towers seem to be more apt to say Debonair/Bonanza. I have tried switching to Bonanza when they start it but it is so automatic, that by the second or third call I tend to revert back to Debonair.

Flightaware lists the BE33 as a Bonanza, I always wondered where their info comes from.

Last edited:
Back