Display Name

Display name:
John
I was flying home from Destin on Sunday talking to Atlanta approach:
Pilot, "Atlanta approach, Bonanza 12345 checking in at 5500 ft."
Approach, "Bonanza 12345 say type Bonanza."
Pilot, "Bonanza 12345 is an F-33"
Approach, "Roger, Debonair 12345 at 5500." :rofl:
I may be the only one that sees the humor in this, but I thought it was funny. :dunno:
I don't know what difference in made to the controller, but he felt he needed to ask and correct the pilot. :D

:rofl:

The controller was probably a Bonanza pilot. I've met several pilots who get annoyed at Debonair pilots who call themselves Bonanza pilots.

I may be the only one that sees the humor in this, but I thought it was funny. :dunno:
I don't know what difference in made to the controller, but he felt he needed to ask and correct the pilot. :D

:rofl:

The controller was probably a Bonanza pilot. I've met several pilots who get annoyed at Debonair pilots who call themselves Bonanza pilots.
The F33 is a Bonanza, not a Debonair.

The controller was wrong. The last Debonair was the D33, the E33 and later are Bonanzas.

FWIW I fly a Debonair way more often then I fly a Bonanza. Roughly 50% of the controllers end up calling me a Bonanza no matter how often I say Debonair. Once they call me a Bonanza I just switch to Bonanza to avoid confusing them.

FWIW I fly a Debonair way more often then I fly a Bonanza. Roughly 50% of the controllers end up calling me a Bonanza no matter how often I say Debonair. Once they call me a Bonanza I just switch to Bonanza to avoid confusing them.

Sounds like flying a PA32. Some controllers insist on calling it a Cherokee. Some Lance and some Saratoga.

They care because of differences in true airspeed.

Though I would have been tempted to answer "Ben Cartwright."

They care because of differences in true airspeed."

It's not that far off. Let's consider that "Twin Cessna" means anything from a tuna tank 310 to a 421C with winglets, hubcaps, and strakes. Big difference to us, but really not a ton different. Even within 310s, tuna tank 310 vs RAM IV T310R will have about a 50 kt TAS delta.

I flew a DA-20 off and on a few years ago from a school that had a fleet of Diamonds. According to the tower, I was a 2-place "Diamond Star". And that certainly wasn't a speed-match thing because the Star has 80HP and ~40 knots on me. Didn't bother me though, as long as everyone got the tail no. right.

I fly a Musketeer with students, and get amuzed when the controller can't figure out why we are going so slow. We frequently call up Beech xxx41M

I always use Golden Eagle for 421's and Chancellor for 414's, I always thought the 310 was called Twin Cessna because it didn't have a name. ;)

It's not that far off. Let's consider that "Twin Cessna" means anything from a tuna tank 310 to a 421C with winglets, hubcaps, and strakes. Big difference to us, but really not a ton different. Even within 310s, tuna tank 310 vs RAM IV T310R will have about a 50 kt TAS delta.

The controller was wrong. The last Debonair was the D33, the E33 and later are Bonanzas.
Actually the last models to be called "Debonair" were the C33/C33A. The D33 was a military counter-insurgency prototype.

In 1965, at Eglin AFB, Florida, the US Air Force conducted tests with a Model S35 butterfly-tail Bonanza, (c/n D-7859, registered N5847K) modified as a light ground-attack aircraft. Designated Model D33, the aircraft was fitted with a conventional tail unit and six wing hardpoints, the inboard points stressed for 600lb and the outboard points stressed for 300lb. A variety of ordnance could be carried, such as 7.62mm mini-guns, 250lb napalm bombs, 272lb general purpose bombs, and 2.75in FFAR rockets.
http://www.kamov.net/american-aircraft/beech-33-debonair/#sthash.tbCmsbuk.dpuf

pd-249b.jpg

Actually, by the time of the F-33, weren't they placarded as Bonanza?

Actually, by the time of the F-33, weren't they placarded as Bonanza?

I honestly know very little about Bo's, I just thought it was funny he started calling him Debonair. :D

Cherokee six,Saratoga,debonair,bonanza. It's all attitude.

I'm sure the controller was curious, and probably a former (or current) Bo driver. When I've seen BE33 on the strip, I've called the aircraft "debonair" myself. Meh.

It wasn't for a speed thing, or a separation thing. I think.

Sounds like flying a PA32. Some controllers insist on calling it a Cherokee. Some Lance and some Saratoga.

When I was flying dual CC as a student my CFI said to go ahead and descend with power. I got like 180 knots indicated.

The controller said "Cherokee, say type."
-Cherokee is PAPA ALPHA two eight BRAVO
"Roger, Dakota."

Try a Stinson, I've been called everything from a Cessna to a Sterman.

Technically, a Twin Cessna could be anything from a 303 all the way up to a Citation X, depending on how much ATC hates the Slowtation of the day. I've heard them call straight wing citations twin cessna's before.

Technically, a Twin Cessna could be anything from a 303 all the way up to a Citation X, depending on how much ATC hates the Slowtation of the day. I've heard them call straight wing citations twin cessna's before.

True, but all twin Cessnas have names except the 310 and 340:D
303 Crusdader
320 Skynight
414 chancellor
421 Golden Eagle
425/441 Conquest I and II
404 Titan
337 Skymaster

I used to fly an Eagle 150B a lot. Due to the wierd shape as soon as the cab caught sight of it they would mostly say (incorrectly): EXPERIMENTAL 27EA bla bla bla...rather then argue on frequency I would simply play along. :rolleyes2:

Chris

I have been training in a Twin Bo, So. Cal keeps asking if we are a King air or Queen air, I come back and say "just a Twin Bo".

I always use Golden Eagle for 421's and Chancellor for 414's, I always thought the 310 was called Twin Cessna because it didn't have a name. ;)

The 340 doesn't have a name, either. The 401/402 "Businessliner" is a name I've never, not once heard used, but then again most 402s are flown by 135s and there are very few 401s left. I also haven't heard Skyknight used on the air more than once, although I think that might be more appropriate for T310s to use (or file as 320s) just because that designates them as turbocharged. When I've been in my friend's RAM IV T310R in the flight levels doing 225 KTAS, well, it ain't naturally aspirated. :)

This subject came up on the Twin Cessna forum a few months back. There was a split. While a good number of the 414/421 owners used Chancellor/Golden Eagle, there were actually a large number who just used "Twin Cessna."

Very true. I've been calling the Citation Sovereign that Mari flies a Twin Cessna. ;)

Approach called me a Baron when I was inbound to meet the DPE for my Instrument check ride. Must have had something to do with the 20+ knot tailwind. Not sure what part of "M20P" made him think either Twin or Beech. Everybody makes mistakes . . .

Don't feel bad OP, I get called a skylane all the time.

I'll come back once with 'skywagon' and if they don't bite, I'm skylane from there on.

I had one controller I did that to, and he came back with "SKYYYYYYYWAGON! five one sierra!" ........ like, "woohoo! well, La-de-freakin'-da!" :lol:

72053-Chris-Farley-Matt-Foley-dancin-Mkdc.gif

Last edited:
The 401/402 is the Businessliner/Utiliner and the 411 is nameless, according to Wikipedia.:D

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Cessna_models
Those are more ad copy fluff than model names, and recycled at that. The 1954 brochure for the C-195 used the moniker "Businessliner", too.

Ever hear, "Wow, lookit that cool Businessliner!" -- or, "Tower, Utililiner 123 Kilo ready 28 left, IFR ..." ?

Last edited:
Those are more ad copy fluff than model names, and recycled at that. The 1954 brochure for the C-195 used the moniker "Businessliner", too.

Ever hear, "Wow, lookit that cool Businessliner!" -- or, "Tower, Utililiner 123 Kilo ready 28 left, IFR ..." ?
No, but I was proud if myself for actually looking it up!! :D:D

You would have gotten better service had you said "BE35" :D

They care because of differences in true airspeed.

Though I would have been tempted to answer "Ben Cartwright."
Some Debs are just as fast as their Bonanza cousins and even the difference is cruise speed between the slowest Deb and fastest Bo is less than the variation in speeds used by the pilots of either.

I have one friend who insists that if it doesn't have a V-tail, it's not a Bonanza and he calls the model 36 Bonanza a "stretched Debbie".

Approach called me a Baron when I was inbound to meet the DPE for my Instrument check ride. Must have had something to do with the 20+ knot tailwind. Not sure what part of "M20P" made him think either Twin or Beech. Everybody makes mistakes . . .

Yeah, I got called all sorts of things in the Aztec. Cherokee, Twin Comanche, Comanche... all over the place.

True, but all twin Cessnas have names except the 310 and 340:D
303 Crusdader
320 Skynight
414 chancellor
421 Golden Eagle
425/441 Conquest I and II
404 Titan
337 Skymaster

You missed the 318 and T50. I believe the 335, 401, 402, and 411 were all unnamed.

The 401/402 is the Businessliner/Utiliner and the 411 is nameless, according to Wikipedia.:D

I don't think those constitute names of those models. Cessna also pitched the 195 as the Businessliner. The 150 came in Standard, Trainer, and Commuter versions but I don't think those constitute names either.

They should have named the 411 after Robert Welliver. He thought his was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Back