Say hello to our new bird...

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
After the sad demise of our much-loved 182, we went through the process of identifying the best type for replacement, working through the insurance claim and bank financing, finding the right bird, negotiation, prebuy inspection, and finally waiting for the &*%#&*$@ government to open back up...

Friday was the day to bring the new baby home. I flew AA to BWI and brought home our latest addition, a Cessna R182 Skylane RG.

Say hi to Capitol City Flyers' new fastest bird, N1710R. :) She joins our DA40 and Archer in the fleet.

EDIT: She's better-looking now...
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_4339.jpg
    IMG_4339.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,099
  • IMG_4335.jpg
    IMG_4335.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,074
  • IMG_4353.jpg
    IMG_4353.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 1,063
  • IMG_4348.jpg
    IMG_4348.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,068
  • IMG_4370.jpg
    IMG_4370.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,058
  • IMG_4385.jpg
    IMG_4385.jpg
    946.6 KB · Views: 1,062
Last edited:
Wow, she looks like a wonderful bird. There isn't a more capable plane in this category than the R182.

Wow, she looks like a wonderful bird. There isn't a more capable plane in this category than the R182.

Agreed! We picked up more than 15 knots and the full fuel payload is actually a bit higher. Cessna sure builds a good all-around bird.

Agreed! We picked up more than 15 knots and the full fuel payload is actually a bit higher. Cessna sure builds a good all-around bird.

I would think you'll see a bit better fuel burn too, certainly better NMPG, but I wouldn't be surprised if you save a gallon an hour :yes:

Run her lean on the ground, really really lean, and you won't have any troubles with fouled plugs either. I had that problem initially but I wasn't leaning enough. Now Ilean until the RPM increases on the ground.

Hope you guys have have good luck with it. I saw a beautiful one with factory oxygen and about anything you could want listed for $60k, owner reported a cracked pivot and the partner wanted to sell as-is. It had $30k+ just in radios.

That's purty, great bird to replace the damaged one. 157 TAS, wow, I am envious.

Looks like a super-nice plane Kent! And small world: I belong to the FLYING 6 club out of KFCI in Richmond and we have 182RG N1691R :) Looks like yours already has all the upgrades... Aspen, 2-axis A/P, JPI, modern xponder. Enjoy!

Nice looking plane, and some nice pictures up above the clouds too! Just wondering -- Are you considering the SV upgrade for the Aspen at some point?

That's purty, great bird to replace the damaged one. 157 TAS, wow, I am envious.

Well, it didn't average that fast! But it will consistently do at least 150 KTAS. The straight-leg 182 is a great all-around bird, and the RG takes away its major weakness, which was the slow-ish cruise for the fuel burn.

Looks like a super-nice plane Kent! And small world: I belong to the FLYING 6 club out of KFCI in Richmond and we have 182RG N1691R :) Looks like yours already has all the upgrades... Aspen, 2-axis A/P, JPI, modern xponder. Enjoy!

Oh, we will! How's the 182RG work for your club? What other planes do you have?

Nice looking plane, and some nice pictures up above the clouds too! Just wondering -- Are you considering the SV upgrade for the Aspen at some point?

Well... That wasn't really on my list of desired upgrades. Our DA40 doesn't have the G1000 synthetic vision either. I've never really thought it was worth the price Garmin charges. Not sure what Aspen charges, but that's something I'd *maybe* pay $1500 for, not $10K.

Higher priorities for us right now are getting it painted, and maybe equipped with ADS-B in/out fairly soon.

Nice looking bird! You liked 74S so much that you had to get one for yourself, huh? ;)

Nice looking aircraft ,love the updated avionics, I'm jealous .

After the sad demise of our much-loved 182, we went through the process of identifying the best type for replacement, working through the insurance claim and bank financing, finding the right bird, negotiation, prebuy inspection, and finally waiting for the &*%#&*$@ government to open back up...

Friday was the day to bring the new baby home. I flew AA to BWI and brought home our latest addition, a Cessna R182 Skylane RG.

Say hi to Capitol City Flyers' new fastest bird, N1710R. :) She joins our DA40 and Archer in the fleet.

While I'm a guy that likes the wings where they belong ;), the new plane looks sweet.

Is that the original interior? It looks like it is in nearly perfect condition.

Looks like you bought somebodys pride and joy there.

Nice looking bird! You liked 74S so much that you had to get one for yourself, huh? ;)

Hah! Well, that certainly didn't hurt - I think having had experience in 74S made me realize how nice the type really is, despite the funky-looking gear retraction sequence. ;)

While I'm a guy that likes the wings where they belong ;), the new plane looks sweet.

Is that the original interior? It looks like it is in nearly perfect condition.

Original? :rofl: I don't think the 182RG ever came from the factory with leather - I guess you may be confused by the embroidery on the headrests! However, this is a fairly new interior (2009) which is why it's in such excellent shape.

It's also made of some of the softest leather I've ever felt. REALLY nice. :)

Original? :rofl: I don't think the 182RG ever came from the factory with leather - I guess you may be confused by the embroidery on the headrests! However, this is a fairly new interior (2009) which is why it's in such excellent shape.

Yup, the headrests are a nice touch.

Well... That wasn't really on my list of desired upgrades. Our DA40 doesn't have the G1000 synthetic vision either. I've never really thought it was worth the price Garmin charges. Not sure what Aspen charges, but that's something I'd *maybe* pay $1500 for, not $10K.

Higher priorities for us right now are getting it painted, and maybe equipped with ADS-B in/out fairly soon.

It's $2,995 for the Aspen upgrade. It's not a "must-have" for most folks, but sure is nice if you're in the soup a lot.

It's also made of some of the softest leather I've ever felt. REALLY nice. :)

I knew it wasn't original since it didn't have the Brady Bunch upholstery. :rofl:

Good looking plane. If I had to go larger, I'd get that or a 182. BTW, I love the panel.

Since some of us may be in the market for a 182RG, can you give us an idea on specs and final negotiated price?

Since some of us may be in the market for a 182RG, can you give us an idea on specs and final negotiated price?

The ad is still up here, but probably not for long:
http://www.controller.com/listingsd...KYLANE/1978-CESSNA-R182RG-SKYLANE/1276713.htm

2610 TTAF, 645 SMOH. Prop strike in 2007. $95K. Damage scares away a lot of buyers, so it's possible to get a pretty decent deal if you're willing to go with a DH bird. We've had prop strikes before - two in the last decade, including our old 182, and we're pretty confident that if the inspection is done properly the engine should last a good long time - We went 951 hours past TBO on the prop-struck engine in the 182, and the Archer that had a prop strike still hasn't needed an overhaul. A good pre-buy is necessary, of course...

Nice. I'll look for her in the blue hangar

Now, for that plane to learn how to really have fun, Kent-style.

Built. Long past-tense. And this year is the last year for the Lycoming Turbo version.

Nice looking bird. Very yellow. Matches the paint on the ramp stripes. :)

The ad is still up here, but probably not for long:
http://www.controller.com/listingsd...KYLANE/1978-CESSNA-R182RG-SKYLANE/1276713.htm

2610 TTAF, 645 SMOH. Prop strike in 2007. $95K. Damage scares away a lot of buyers, so it's possible to get a pretty decent deal if you're willing to go with a DH bird. We've had prop strikes before - two in the last decade, including our old 182, and we're pretty confident that if the inspection is done properly the engine should last a good long time - We went 951 hours past TBO on the prop-struck engine in the 182, and the Archer that had a prop strike still hasn't needed an overhaul. A good pre-buy is necessary, of course...
Congrats, Kent. Nice bird. I've flown Spring City's 182RG a few times. Great fun!

Done, and done!

We actually got it upgraded to a 330ES for ADS-B Out almost right away... And now, she's a lot prettier! We also got a new tail number. N1710R is a real pain to say on the radio - Lots of syllables and they don't roll off the tongue well at all. We looked at quite a few numbers, but in the end the club voted to pay tribute to our fallen bird, N271G, as many of us had many amazing experiences in that plane.

So, say hello to our newly rechristened bird, N271RG!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_5711.JPG
    IMG_5711.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_5696.JPG
    IMG_5696.JPG
    215.7 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Back