Saw a Quad-Copter-Reaper Photo Assault Drone Last night Over Grand Central Terminal..

Owad1971

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Owad1971
OK, so last night I took My Lady on a peaceful evening cruise from FRG to KGON and back along the north and south shores of LI. Around 11:30 PM while returning my lovely passenger home in Manhattan, I see position lights hovering at the SW corner of 42nd street and Pershing Square at 80ft AGL. It moves north over the avenue, climbs some more, turns and takes position over the sidewalk just over the street lamps.....

After a WTF moment, I scan the crowd and see the operator working a remote control, with his buddy, preparing to launch another sortie over the unsuspecting crowd......

I got ****ED!!!! :nono::nono::nono::incazzato::incazzato:There wasn't a cop in sight!! I finally found one on the west side near port authority, and we had an interesting conversation about how there was nothing that could be done.:dunno:

Now I am not a BIG Government Type who thinks EVERYTHING must be regulated, and I certainly enjoy my toys like the next guy...BUT C'mon- Is it too much to ask for some common sense rules. Hey being a PP-SEL, as much as I want to fly directly over and check out the babes on the beach or enjoy the most expensive seats at a ball game..I gotta accept the fact that It ain't gonna happen..

My Point- the one rule I would support No drones/Quads/RPVs/RC Aircraft in populated spaces, unless flown in a designated aero-dome (like a park)....otherwise, maybe it would be more fun to get my own and practice some ACM right here in Manhattan...
FMS043P-BLU.html

OK, ...here endth my Rant

Re: Saw a Quad-Copter-Reaper Photo Assault Drone Last night Over Grand Central Termin

what was the hazard?

Re: Saw a Quad-Copter-Reaper Photo Assault Drone Last night Over Grand Central Termin

what was the hazard?

Fair question....
It was over a crowded city street, adjacent to office buildings, an elevated roadway, etc:

Tried to load google map image... lets see if it works.

Attachments

• Grand Central.jpg
    Grand Central.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 92

If we want to continue flying around our typical 2500 lb planes with 50 gallons of fuel on board over populated areas we shouldn't complain about a 10 lb drone being a hazard.

If we want to continue flying around our typical 2500 lb planes with 50 gallons of fuel on board over populated areas we shouldn't complain about a 10 lb drone being a hazard.

But we have had training and consider hazards to others...not saying quads should be banned..Just he should not be allowed to buzz around in Manhattan. I guess the point eventually be moot since Amazon will begin delivering my crap this way:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

So what is the hazard?

So what is the hazard?

Same as for us...human factors, mechanical issues, electronics, terrorism potential, etc......

Maybe not on the high order yield potential of a 2400lb plane hitting a high-rise, but pedestrians and property could be hurt/ damaged by reckless, wanton, or catastrophic operation of these devices in close proximity....

Maybe I havn't articulated my beef with this properly. Central park ball field, Sure thing, have at it- open area:thumbsup:

City Streets- No Effn' WAY!!!!!!

Last edited:

This empire is over. Let's stop pretending and just give the keys, and our women, to the brown hordes.

Fair question....
It was over a crowded city street, adjacent to office buildings, an elevated roadway, etc:

So what? :dunno:

I don't see the hazard. :dunno:

Interesting....

I guess I am the only one that has a problem with this-:dunno:- Perhaps I am being too fatalistic, who knows..

Thanks everyone for the feedback- I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Exactly. No need to be trying to nanny things that don't actually have a record of hurting anyone yet.

It's awful "pot calls the kettle black" for us pilots to be trying to demand regulation against these "drones" which are really just the same RC aircraft that have been flying around for as long as we have been.

I'd be more concerned about a rogue pigeon than a little plastic drone. Pigeons can bite!

I'd be more concerned about a rogue pigeon than a little plastic drone. Pigeons can bite!

And bomb with what some consider to be hazardous waste...

What does a drone position light look like?
A few nights ago I was reading in bed and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a bright greenish light out my bedroom window. At first I thought it was a lightning bug. It was about 30 feet away and the light would come on for about 5 seconds, then off for about 10 seconds. I didn't pay too much attention, but then I saw it a few inches from my window and it was on steady. I got out of bed and walked to the window, and it suddenly flew away and out of site. I have been wondering what it was ever since.

A guy was operating a drone within line of sight in a public place in a safe and (as far as I know) legal manner.

What's the problem?

A guy was operating a drone within line of sight in a public place in a safe and (as far as I know) legal manner.

What's the problem?

Someone was offended. :rolleyes:

#### these Drones!!!!! I'm gonna start aiming for them if I see one. Put a drone in the sky where i'm flying and its on! They want to let these toys play with us, then its time to find out what the hell would happen. I've got a parachute. Lets roll!!!!

Might have had better luck with the cop if you'used the "T" word....

#### these Drones!!!!! I'm gonna start aiming for them if I see one. Put a drone in the sky where i'm flying and its on! They want to let these toys play with us, then its time to find out what the hell would happen. I've got a parachute. Lets roll!!!!

They have as much right to fly as you do. :rolleyes2:

Last edited:

A 10lb quad that is heavy. Most of them are under 4lbs.
You guys at quick to bash quad flyers. I fly one but I'm fly responsible as well. Near people yes. Over people no.

Where/what were you flying that you could look for and observe the operator of a quad around 42nd and Pershing Square? :confused: Unless you have Suprman like vision, you would have to be breaking more laws than them. :dunno:

If you're flying at 80' AGL in manhattan where this drone was flying then you have more to worry about than the drone.

Where/what were you flying that you could look for and observe the operator of a quad around 42nd and Pershing Square? :confused: Unless you have Suprman like vision, you would have to be breaking more laws than them. :dunno:
Reread the OP first he escaped prison island(NYC) so he could take a lady flying from traffic island(LI) after thoroughly impressing her with a plane ride he blew any chance of future romance by being a dork and trying to get a cop to arrest a harmless RC pilot.

a NYC dirty water dog is far more dangerous than a lil baby drone. I personally wouldn't run and tell a cop about either one, but that's just me.

So what is the hazard?
Anyone that has flown quads would not do it over people. Hexes or octs maybe. The hazard is lose a prop (carbon ones break) or a wire on a motor and they come straight down. Concussion and abrasions would probably be the worst you could do with one. There was one report of a person's jugular being cut by the prop.

Anyone that has flown quads would not do it over people. Hexes or octs maybe. The hazard is lose a prop (carbon ones break) or a wire on a motor and they come straight down. Concussion and abrasions would probably be the worst you could do with one. There was one report of a person's jugular being cut by the prop.
Yeah and there was a private jet that crashed into some ladies house, she burned to death while taking refuge in her bathtub holding two of her children who also perished. But we should sic cops on people for flying plastic housefans.:rolleyes:

Yeah, it's the big heavy ones that have the props that will actually do you damage, but I have a feeling they'll all end up with rings on the props to eliminate tip hazards.

I think quads with dual motors and contra rotating props on each pod will be the long term solution.

If you're flying at 80' AGL in manhattan where this drone was flying then you have more to worry about than the drone.

I might make the evening news then! :yikes:

You do realize some of these idiots are flying them in IFR conditions and well above the 500' rule. That is what I am referring to.

HTML:
A few nights ago I was reading in bed and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a bright greenish light out my bedroom window. At first I thought it was a lightning bug. It was about 30 feet away and the light would come on for about 5 seconds, then off for about 10 seconds. I didn't pay too much attention, but then I saw it a few inches from my window and it was on steady. I got out of bed and walked to the window, and it suddenly flew away and out of site. I have been wondering what it was ever since.

A UFO ... the green light blinking means it's mind reading. Solid light on means it is now experimenting with a high focus, high power microwave energy burst directed at your skull.:D

What was Leslie doing?:lol: Sounds like you have a peeping Tom in the neighborhood.:rofl:

The other day I saw someone walking down a road and a huge tractor trailer suddenly drove by at 60 MPH at least! Missed him by about 10 feet. There was a cop there too but he couldn't do anything.

Sure the pedestrian was on a sidewalk but one slip of the wheel by the driver or a chance flat tire and they would have been quite dead. I think we need to put a stop to these people and their huge vehicles.

... Forgive the sarcasm but in the context of things that can hurt or damage someone or something; I worry very little about a 4 pound object that might cut me a bit if it falls, and I can't dodge it, and I happen to be under it, and I get hit just right by it.

Or we could make that drone operator get a medical exam, a rigorous flight exam with documents showing training, plus an airworthiness certificate for the drone with all TSO parts, and liability insurance, and ADS-B, and a VFR limit, and...

Oh, no I'm being sarcastic again. Sorry. ;)

Back