San Antonio

jmpoplin

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
NCFlyer
Any recommendations for San Antonio - Stinson or SAT? Signature and Million Air are almost $7/gal but I see Skyplace at SAT is $4.75 while Stinson is a bit over $5. Not sure if they make up the rest with fees, etc but that is a large gap for being at the int'l airport. Both seem equal distance from downtown so looking for experiences with either? Thanks.

Where in town are you going?

Isn't that where the city tried to strong arm a private FBO out of business? If so...no thanks...won't go there no matter how cheap fuel is.

Nope, that was New Braunfels. They succeeded, too, I think. Boerne's a nice field.

I'd use KSSF personally. Boerne is a long drive to downtown, through the second most congested artery and most popular suburban enclave of the city (the northwest corridor). KBAZ is just way too far. Nice if you're going to a northeast suburb, but not downtown.

I stopped by Stinson a couple of months ago.
Nice FBO facility & on field restaurant.
Easier traffic to Riverwalk, it seems

Did this happen at baz? 2M buyout? If so, I am partially gratified, although if it was strongarm tactics, nothing about it is tolerable.

Staying at the Hilton on the Riverwalk so right in the heart of downtown.

In San Antonio, staying within 100 yards of the riverwalk is the safest place to be. Go outside of that safe zone and you better be carrying. Preferably carrying two or more.

About 20 years ago, I spent about 10 days driving every square inch of that town doing market surveys. I kept waiting to find the good part of town. Never did. It's the only town I've ever been in where I've felt safer in dead downtown (the riverwalk, where I stayed) than anywhere else.

I was at Stinson a couple months ago. Great people treated me well, FBO is quite nice, so is the mechanic on field. Simple to get downtown. easy drive. that's what I'd do.

Stinson has what looks to be a cool museum adjacent to the field. Never went in but looked interesting.
My first "long" trip from Houston was into Stinson. The runway has a hump in the middle. I was not prepared for the hump and as I approached it I thought I was at the end of the runway. I about crapped my pants. My passengers never suspected a thing. Told me I did a great job landing the plane.

Staying at the Hilton on the Riverwalk so right in the heart of downtown.

Hilton? Ugh. Stay at the grand old Menger Hotel, right next to the Riverwalk and Alamo.

Have a beer at the same bar where Teddy Roosevelt recruited the Rough Riders, and see the scars in the bar where Carrie Nation attacked it with a hatchet. Feel the history of the place, and marvel at the grandeur of the old hotel.

Escape the chains. We've stayed at the Menger over a dozen times, now, and absolutely love it.

Oh, and Stinson rocks! Easy Uber ride downtown.

What Jay said.

And, San Antonio is a lot better, now, Tim.

And, San Antonio is a lot better, now, Tim.

Inside of 410...or even 1604?

I did overstate a bit in my original diatribe. I did finally find the good part of San Antonio. It's in San Marcos. :)

(The hill country was kinda cool)

Inside of 410...or even 1604?

I did overstate a bit in my original diatribe. I did finally find the good part of San Antonio. It's in San Marcos. :)

(The hill country was kinda cool)
San Marcos is fun, too. We stay at the Crystal River Inn and walk to all the bars and restaurants.

But it ain't San Antonio. We can spend 3 days on the Riverwalk and not see everything. San Marcos is a place to sleep, get a massage, and eat some comfort food.

Last edited:
Hilton? Ugh. Stay at the grand old Menger Hotel, right next to the Riverwalk and Alamo.

Have a beer at the same bar where Teddy Roosevelt recruited the Rough Riders, and see the scars in the bar where Carrie Nation attacked it with a hatchet. Feel the history of the place, and marvel at the grandeur of the old hotel.

Escape the chains. We've stayed at the Menger over a dozen times, now, and absolutely love it.

Oh, and Stinson rocks! Easy Uber ride downtown.
+1 on the Menger. Great hotel.

Back