San Antonio Airport/FBO recommendations wanted

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Toward the end of April, I will be travelling to the San Antonio area for a conference. The conference is on the west side of the City at the Hyatt Hill Country Golf Resort (Google Link: https://goo.gl/maps/uQmz9dtJN9x)

Besides the obvious of KSAT or Boerne Stage, are there any other recommendations for airports and FBO's to use for this trip?

Stinson or Castroville. I am local, so can't speak to the FBOs, but both of those will present much less traffic to deal with if you anticipate arriving during PM rush hour or departing in AM rush hour. There is construction on 1604 between 10 and 151 that is really mucking things up for people who live in the 151/1604 area. If you are a mid-day arrival/departure, you're probably OK traffic wise.

Not flown there, but Stinson looks quite nice and if you have some time go to the museum.

Stinson, Castroville, and Boerne Stage are all good choices. Stinson is a towered airport, and has the museum and a restaurant on field (though I haven't been to the current restaurant so I can't comment on it), and is convenient to downtown San Antonio if you plan to spend much time there. The fuel price is higher than the other choices, though, and I can't comment on the FBO since I haven't been there in years.

Boerne Stage is an uncontrolled field with a decent FBO, though I'm biased since we keep our plane there and live very close. It's pretty active, including lots of glider activity especially during the summer. Hertz is nearby, and will supposedly drop off at the airport. Given the location, it may not be the most convenient for getting to your convention, especially with the aforementioned construction on 1604. Since I'm based there, let me know if you have any questions about it and I'll do my best to answer, or give the FBO a call at 830-981-2345.

Castroville is also a nice field (though I haven't been there in a while), and has the best fuel price of the three. Looking at the location of your convention hotel, it may actually be the most convenient choice for driving. I don't know anything about the FBO, though, or if they have rental cars available (if that's a requirement).

Lee

I used to keep my plane at Stinson. Very nice little airport. Been to long to know if FBOs are the same as before. Check-6 was good to me when I was there. Rental cars were available. Self serve fuel.

Easy in-and out, San Antonio will route you to the east over Randolph or up the west side. Kelly USA (the old AFB) tends to be a quiet Class D except for when the AF is practicing there. If I was talking to approach, I almost always was able to go through their airspace.

The ride out to Hyatt Hill Country wasn't hard - Loop 410 to 151 if I recall correctly. It's about the same distance as SAT, and 410 tends to be less congested on that side of town.

We do a lot of quick, weekend vacations to San Antonio, and love Stinson. Great tower, great FBO, nice museum and restaurant on the field, quick cab or Uber ride into downtown, the Alamo, and the Riverwalk.

And it's an incredibly historic airport, with a terrific restored terminal building. What's not to like?

I used to keep my plane at Stinson. Very nice little airport. Been to long to know if FBOs are the same as before. Check-6 was good to me when I was there. Rental cars were available. Self serve fuel.
Check 6 is LONG gone. Don't know about the current FBO, but I haven't been hearing horror stories about it. The company I work for has a home base at SSF.

Stinson and Boerne are both excellent - base your decision upon the geography of where you're going, because Stinson's controllers are as easy as they come. Rental cars available at both with advance notice. Boerne may still have the Mighty Yaris - David White learned to drive shift in it, which may explain why the synchros were shot when I drove it a couple of years ago.

KSAT or KSSF. Most convenient and least likely to gum up the rental car reservation. In KSAT I recommend Signature North (up to recently called Landmark aviation but now bought by Signature). 7 gallons for piston single gets you the facility fee waived. SSF it's san antonio aviation. Much more spartan, but gets the job done. In addition, parking in front of the terminal is public and free. If fuel cost is a concern, then SSF or tanker yourself to an outlying cheap airport. Time vs money kinda thing.

I have flown into Stinson twice since the new FBO (GateONE) opened (most recently about a month ago). Many of their staff carried over from the former San Antonio Aviation. They are friendly and efficient, and the new lobby is nice. I rented a car both times, and it went fine. Note that they are not open 24/7; if you need support after-hours, they'll make arrangements with you.

Stinson's not close to the west side, but San Antonio's not that hard to cross by car.

Sorry for the necro-post. Planning to fly the Warrior from the FL Panhandle to southern AZ and planning a stop in San Antonio next month. Any fresh recommendations for San Antonio airports/FBOs?

Sorry for the necro-post. Planning to fly the Warrior from the FL Panhandle to southern AZ and planning a stop in San Antonio next month. Any fresh recommendations for San Antonio airports/FBOs?

I’m based at Stinson. Gate One still has the FBO. 5C1 is always a good option on the opposite side of town. If you especially want to go to KSAT, ask for the tower arrival which will bring you from the southeast side across the (very) extended centerline of 13L/R and then turn you north to fly past downtown and the Hemisfair tower to join downwind for 13L.

A little north to San Marcos (HYI) with Berry aviation running things.

Last edited:
A little north to San Marcos (HYI) with Berry aviation running things.

In less than I week, I'll be visiting outlaws who are between New Braunfels and San Marcos. Which of those fields should I prefer?

In less than I week, I'll be visiting outlaws who are between New Braunfels and San Marcos. Which of those fields should I prefer?

I lean towards HYI, but @hindsight2020 is based at BAZ and can provide better insight on that field than me.

Either one would work I guess. If AOG, I'd rather be in HYI, my home drone is a mx desert by comparison. Rental car avail and FBO responsiveness is also better at HYI in my experience.

Excellent timing…next week I’ll be flying in for a conference at the Hyatt Hill Country. It looks like Kelly Field would be closest to the hotel. Maybe a little more red tape, but any reason not to fly into there?

Excellent timing…next week I’ll be flying in for a conference at the Hyatt Hill Country. It looks like Kelly Field would be closest to the hotel. Maybe a little more red tape, but any reason not to fly into there?

It’s a joint use field, shouldn’t be any red tape. If you can get a rental car, I don’t see why not. I’d talk to the people at Barrios Aviation to get the scoop.

That’s my shadow on the approach end below.

SKF is generally the cheapest self serve in town.

7e966affae4bc38b3540abcd79ca8112.jpg

I'm based at Kelly (KSKF) and recommend it, but check the NOTAMs as they are closed Monday mornings until noon for rubber removal. Both Atlantic (the official FBO) and Bario are good. Self-serve 100LL is usually the lowest price in the area.

Also Castroville (KCVB) just to the west is closed for resurfacing.

I'm based at Kelly (KSKF) and recommend it, but check the NOTAMs.

Hold on just a darn second!! We measly GA aircraft can land at Kelly???
I’d like to try that.

Perhaps it’s like the Ellington KEFD here in Houston.

I’d like to try that.

Perhaps it’s like the Ellington KEFD here in Houston.

SKF is .mil owned joint use airport open to the public. The west ramp is .mil, don’t go there.

EFD is not .mil owned and is open to the public.

I’d like to try that.

The runway is controlled by the military but open to civilian traffic. The tower is an air force training facility so we get a variety of controllers. I was one of the first light aircraft to hangar at Kelly. On my first flight, I got my taxi clearance from ground using my tail number, but when I switched to tower for takeoff clearance, he asked for my callsign. I was so tempted to reply with "Red Leader". The military controllers have finally figured out us civilian pilots, but there were some strange moments when they used military jargon that are never used in GA. I routinely flight with F-16s, C-5s, and the aircraft used by POTUS as those are serviced by Boeing at KSKF.

If you fly into KSKF contact San Antonio Approach as they coordinate all arrivals and departures.

Back