San Antonio tips?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Flying there this weekend looking for any recommendations as far as FBO and car rental or any other tips

Pleasanton is south a bit, but it's a nice facility and has a courtesy car.

I always wanted to land at Stinson, but never did.

KSAT is "central" and GA friendly. But short of that, choices Boerne Stage to the NW and Stinson to the south.

Boerne Stage might be worth choosing if you're still considering Cheetahs and Tigers. Fletch Air is based there and is one of the acknowledged guru's of that airframe.

I'm flying the cirrus to SA on short vacation. Wondering if they charge for transient/tie down. Landing fees? Need to rent a car. Wondering what FBO is preferred by the GA crowd. Our hotel is just a couple miles from KSAT. Taking the kids to sea world and some pizza place I was told was a "must visit" with the kids.

What? We went again last weekend and had a great time. Again. Wonderful place, great people. Tim hanging out in the wrong bars??

Sitting in one right now in Cambridge OH having dinner. My nickname up here is Norm. :cool:

Called sky place. I asked about ramp fees and they asked what I would be flying. I said cirrus. They asked "what's a cirrus? would that be closer to An aztec or a Malibu?"
Umm.... Its closer to a Honda than either of those.
She said they will waive 1 night if I buy 10 gallons and it would be 10/ night after.
That seems pretty cheap to me.

I'm always Ernest and Frank with women.

When I'm in New York I'm Ernest... when I'm in Michigan I'm Frank..... lol something like that.. :cool:

Called sky place. I asked about ramp fees and they asked what I would be flying. I said cirrus. They asked "what's a cirrus? would that be closer to An aztec or a Malibu?"
She said they will waive 1 night if I buy 10 gallons and it would be 10/ night after.
That's not a bad deal.

River Walk a cool attraction. Bunch of stores and restaurants. Might find a cheeseburger lying on the Walk, or floating in the canal, or is that a body. You like Mex? I know of an excellent one a short ways from the River Walk. There's the Alamo there and a sky tower or something that you can go up top for that panoramic view of SA.

I'll take Mexican restaurant recommendations. My favorite type of food. Used to do the river walk back in college. Been a long time though.

I think it's in an area called Market Square. A few blocks from the River Walk. Been years since I had layovers there (HI couple blocks away) but one family owned 3 restaurants there and I always went to La Margarita (fairly sure that's the name). Man best chicken fajitas I've ever had. No cheeseburgers though. ;)

Last edited:
El Mercado (Market Square mentioned above) is a short bus or trolley ride from River Walk. Lots of shops and Mexican restaurants. Mi Tierra and La Margaritas are both there and good. I prefer Mi Tierra's. If you have time and transportation, Alamo Cafe (US-281 or I-10 locations) are very good with awesome made on site flour tortillas.

There are a number of good places to eat on the Riverwalk. The Naked Iguana has some awesome knock your socks off margaritas.

Boat rides on River are always fun, especially so if you have a fun guide. The Segway tour through old San Antonio is a lot of fun.

I always liked San Antonio, but it's been close to a decade since I've spent any reasonable amount of time there.

I found flying into KSAT in the 310 the one time I did was pleasant. I'd fly there again.

Are the kids old enough to enjoy a PeeWee Herman movie? You might get them engaged with trying to find a red bicycle in the basement of San Antonio's most famous landmark.

But careful, you might get those two trying to do the big shoe dance.

The tower of the Americas is worth going up to get a great view of the city. If you just want to ride to the observation deck, I think it is something like $10 per person. If you just ride to the restaurant right under the observation deck, the ride is free. The restaurant has great desserts which will cost you about $10. Hmmm...

I made the same call to them. She ask the same question, I said a Piper Saratoga. She said the same thing, what is that. It was OK at Skyplace, but I prefer Signature NORTH FBO. Nice people and during basket ball season that is where you may run into the Spurs players. They use this FBO.

Wait, what? Last time I flew into KSAT, they stretched out an arm and said "$40 please".
What you have been told sounds cheap. Take it.

Definitely go enjoy River Walk. If you are a fan, they also have a Hard Rock Cafe there. As far as mesken restaurants go, I cannot help, sorry. But there are MANY so just read through reviews on Yelp to see which one you like. Dang, you're making me hungry. Time to pull the chute. :)

I've been there quite a few times, but not in the past year or so. Stinson is a great FBO and they have rental cars ... I used to be able to get a rental there for $19, but those days are gone now (was only a couple of years ago). Stinson is close to the Alamo, and if you need a room, they used to be able to get better rates then you'd ever find on your own. Last time I was there my son and I literally called from the hangar as it was a last minute setup and asked them to have a car and book a room. They wanted me to call and confirm the room was ok on the way, but I told them it was a straight shot from El Paso (no fuel stop). On arrival, the room cost $79 a night ... same hotel I called earlier and it was $279 downtown near the riverwalk. If landing Stinson, you will most likely NEVER get a transition through the military Kelly AFB space immediate adjacent so don't bust their space. Only other FBO that set me up that nicely on several occasions has been Glendale AZ for hockey games.

My office is across the street from the approach end of 12. If you want, I could listen for you and take a video of your landing and post it here so everyone can grade your handle pull.

My office is across the street from the approach end of 12. If you want, I could listen for you and take a video of your landing and post it here so everyone can grade your handle pull.
sure. But, do you work on Saturdays?

sure. But, do you work on Saturdays?

When I need to, but don't think this is a 'need to' situation. Instead, maybe I'll get out and see if your latest instructional video works for SAT Charlie also. Or is that why you are coming down?

Welp, it was a great trip and SkyPlace was awesome.
They will do tiedowns for $10 a night and hangar for $50. I opted for the hangar just to be cautious. If you buy 10 gallons of fuel, they will waive one of the nights (tiedown only)

Landed and they had a car waiting. Bags and family were loaded by the time I finished signing the rental agreement.
FBO was nice, people were great. All positive experience. When I go back, I will use them again.

Getting in and out was a breeze. No more difficult than getting in and out of my local Class D. 1 additional call to Clearance Delivery.

I enjoy rubbing elbows w/ the big guys too :)

20160701_203254.jpg

I think it's in an area called Market Square. A few blocks from the River Walk. Been years since I had layovers there (HI couple blocks away) but one family owned 3 restaurants there and I always went to La Margarita (fairly sure that's the name). Man best chicken fajitas I've ever had. No cheeseburgers though. ;)

La Fonda on Main.

Depending on where you'll be staying in San Antonio, San Marcos may be a good option.

Depending on where you'll be staying in San Antonio, San Marcos may be a good option.

....that place is closer to Austin (30 miles) than to the Riverwalk (52 miles). HYI is an Austin option, not SA.

....that place is closer to Austin (30 miles) than to the Riverwalk (52 miles). HYI is an Austin option, not SA.

"Depending on where you'll be staying in SA"... For instance, if you're going to New Braunfels, which considers itself part of SA, you'd do well to stop at San Marcos.

BTW, the Riverwalk and the Alamo are/were two of the bigger disappointments as a tourist.

I'll probably not go back to the river walk.
It has changed a lot since Last time I went.

The Alamo on the other hand makes a good backdrop for a family photo

13533089_10209975273005348_7189639404170063885_n.jpg

It was fun. Mostly kid-centric stuff
Guinness world records, Ripleys, Sea World, Six Flags Fiesta Texas. Lots of food. Lots of fun.

I snuck out to grab a beer on the last night and stumbled across one of the most amazing things.

You need to tell Jack to quit snacking on the fertilizer... all too soon he's gonna be picking you up like that.

I must have missed you. I was there (KSAT) yesterday morning for a PnP flight, didn't see a chute blowing across the ramp so you probably landed at Stinson isntead. :D

Glad y'all had fun but I think you need to adjust your iPhone. CrApple stores pictures upside down very often and your kids seem to be in the wrong orientation. :)

Back