Samsung Galaxy Tab

http://www.aviationsafety.com/

I got the FL150, but the FL190 has a bigger screen. It runs XP and I've had no issues with it in over a year.

Yeah, it was a bit more expensive than an iPad, but it came with all the software I needed, I got it before they were out.

It's still pretty small for approach plates. An actual-size plate is about 10" diagonal, same as the iPad. 7" is gonna be a bit small. I've heard good things about the Flight Cheetah units, though. I've just never seen one in person... Do they go to OSH? :dunno:

It's still pretty small for approach plates. An actual-size plate is about 10" diagonal, same as the iPad. 7" is gonna be a bit small. I've heard good things about the Flight Cheetah units, though. I've just never seen one in person... Do they go to OSH? :dunno:

I dunno. The problem with the pads (iPad, Xoom, Transformer) for me is that they are too big to have up in front of me. What I did find is an 8" USB touch screen display that I hooked up to it. So I have this setup:

http://webpages.charter.net/edfred/panel6.jpg

And I never have to look down at the approach plate, so no inner ear getting jacked up when in IMC.

Edit: no, I was not broadcasting on 123.45, but I know people that do and was listening for them.

Last edited:
Really?!? How so?
It doesn't do any scientific stuff at all. Hell, even Windows Calendar has a scientific option.

Wheelie thing? I don't even know what you're talking about there. :dunno:
<select><option value="blah">Item 1</option><option value="blah2">Item 2</option></select>

^^^^ Those wheelie things.
Ummm... Not sure what you're talking about here either. The camera app works just fine, and takes some pretty good pictures. If you want a whole lot of control over it instead of point and shoot, there are a ton of "enhanced" camera apps.

The camera on the front of the iPad is 640x480. The last camera I had with that horrible a resolution was in 1999, and I think it was called a "Zoom Cam" or something.

BTW, I've heard people bitching and moaning about the stock Android camera app, saying that it's so slow that by the time it's launched you don't get a picture of what you wanted to take a picture of any more.

That was pre Android 2.0
Um, OK. How so? It's clean, fast, and does everything I want. :dunno:

Fast? Clean? Ok. I have no argument to that if you think the iPhone's mail app is fast and clean.

Nick, Flash is not an industry standard. It's a closed, proprietary system of just the sort you like to rail on all the time.
Options. Options.

It's also been a LONG time since I visited a site that didn't work on the iPhone/iPad. Most everyone has realized that it's a good idea to write your site such that it works for the largest audience possible, so Flash is going the way of the dodo bird.
Mobile sites are passe with tablets....or they should be.

OBTW, while I was looking for Android versions of apps, I came across this:
Mobile Flash Fail: Weak Android Player Proves Jobs Right[/QUOTE]

See previous comments about HTML5 and having a choice.

You almost had it, until you said "The apps you need and want are there." Again, buying a device because someone else wrote software for it is dumb. The user contributed apps are merely a "nicety" or maybe a tie breaker, but buying it because someone else wrote some software is dumb, because they could stop developing it now, and you'll be stuck with a device with outdated apps. If Apple creates it, you know they're gonna be in business for a while, so that's a good choice.

So I should wait for Apple to develop a competitor to ForeFlight? :dunno:

That's my main use for the iPad - Flying. You've been talking up Naviator, but I'm pretty sure Google didn't write that...

FlipBoard: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.taptu.streams&feature=search_result (although admittedly, I don't read paper magazines anymore since I'm not 60 years old :D, but I hear that's a good app) (Price: $0)

That's not FlipBoard, and FlipBoard isn't a magazine reader.

VitalSource Bookshelf: Assuming this is an eBook reader, there are hundreds of apps that are good. I use Laputa: https://market.android.com/details?id=org.geometerplus.zlibrary.ui.android&feature=search_result (Price: $0)

It's an eBook reader with proprietary DRM (sigh). I need it to be able to read the $49 eBook that I got instead of the $190 paper version.

ABC Player: Wouldn't even begin to know where to look for something like this.

Ummm... Wouldn't it be in the market like the rest of the apps? :dunno:

Oh, btw, what built in app do you use for Turn By Turn directions when you get to a city you've never been to before? How about to find a gas station when you're almost out of gas on the freeway in the middle of nowhere?

I usually use Google Maps for both. No, it doesn't give voice prompts. If I actually need turn-by-turn, I use MotionX... Who cares if it's built-in? :dunno:

The ability to have widgets which display useful information on the homescreen makes all the difference in the world.

Yeah, there are certain things I wouldn't mind having on the home screen. Weather would probably be one (tho I get that with a single tap). However, I wouldn't want to use up my whole screen for "widgets" when I already have too many apps to store there.

You never sent picture messages? You still don't? Really??

Really. What's the point? Even the pics I take on my phone look way better on a larger screen, so I email them to people I want to see them. Or I share them on Twitter.

You wanted a cell phone that didn't suck and you got a Smart Phone, when all Smart Phones, iPhone included, took about 30 steps backwards in mobile voice clarity and battery life?

Huh? I never had a problem with voice clarity on my original iPhone (or any since), and as long as the battery lasts all day, that's good enough. FWIW, I once left my battery charger behind when I was at the FlyBQ and my iPhone lasted the whole weekend. That's the longest I've tried to make it last. And yes, I left it on 24 hours a day because it's my alarm clock too.

I'll have you know that most people did not "hate" their mobile phones back then, people were actually quite happy with crap like the RAZR.

They were happy with the RAZR (and the StarTac before it) because it made them look cool, not because it was a good device.

Maybe "hate" is too strong a word, but at best I tolerated my phones. I had phones by Qualcomm, Nokia, Motorola, Sony Ericsson, and I think I'm missing a couple. The Nokia and S-E were the best brands. The Moto's sucked donkey balls. But I always wished someone would make a phone that was easier to use and worked better.

iOS's native browser doesn't handle Flash. In fact, no Apple App does.

Why does it need to be an Apple app??? :dunno:

2. You can turn off flash in Android if you don't want it. In fact, you can uninstall it if you really don't want it.

So everyone's telling me that Flash is why I should go with Android, and now I have to turn it off when it becomes a pain in the ass? :dunno:

But you don't have any options in iOS. You do what you're told, and you can't experiment. I prefer having the option of trying to view a site rather than not being allowed to view a site.

No options?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/skyfire-web-browser/id384941497?mt=8
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flash-browser/id431464953?mt=8

I suppose if you really enjoy going to mobile versions of your favorite websites from your 10 inch screen with a crappy resolution (1024x768 IIRC), rather than going to a full version of your favorite website from a 10 inch screen with a much higher resolution, without losing functionality due to not being able to view content that works on every other browser (Mac included), then there's no way you can see the problem with the iPad.

I don't get mobile versions - Most webmasters who are worth a crap have non-flash-required full versions of their sites that work just fine on the iPad. VERY few web sites actually require Flash. Those that do, well, if I wanted to see 'em bad enough I'd download SkyFire or Flash Browser or one of the other ones. But it's been a LONG time since a lack of flash has kept me from seeing the content I wanted.

That's called perception, and Apple has a reputation worthy of envy. Whether they deserve it or not is irrelevant. They've got it. People place a higher value on their products because they perceive them to be better.

Personally, I think Apple's good rep is deserved. They've made some stupid stuff, but they've stepped on their crank less frequently than nearly everybody else in the biz. And they've brought some truly innovative products to the masses.

I've owned and used my iPad every day for almost six months now. It is my first Apple product, and I am absolutely blown away by the hardware quality. It is simply an outstanding piece of kit, from display, to controls, to battery life. Apple got it nearly perfect.

That said, the device drives me crazy, and I'm looking to dump it. It has so many self-inflicted flaws that I just can't stand using the thing anymore. (Although geo-referenced sectional maps ARE nice to have in the plane -- I'm looking forward to an Android Tablet that will do the job.)

IMHO, supporters are so fervent in their desire for the iPad to succeed that they hushed up all the flaws. I wish I hadn't drank the Apple kool-aid, but I did, and now I'm stuck with a half-baked tablet, while I wait for Android to get some traction.

Here is a short list of the iPad's Top Six Problems, for those who care:

1. No Flash. In fact, Apple is PROUD that they do not/will not run Flash. This decision alone renders the iPad nearly useless, as the vast majority of internet video is Flash. Much of the internet is invisible to the iPad.

2. A faux keyboard that -- for no apparent reason -- does not have "delete" or "arrow" keys. You haven't known frustration until you are trying to position the cursor BEHIND your mistake, so you can backspace over it, with a fat finger on a touch screen.

3. Quirky/buggy apps. I've tried three different Gmail apps, and they all show quirky behavior. (The current one will not show evidence that your post has been sent. So you send it again. Thus, people end up getting email 3 times.)

Same type of problem with Facebook apps. Notifications don't always work. Photos don't always resolve when selected, etc. They are just buggy apps.

4. Can't connect my camera to the iPad, even with the over-priced after-market Apple "camera kit". (Which I returned for a refund.)

5. No USB ports. Really!

6. Can't print. Supposedly it CAN print wirelessly to my HP color wireless printer -- all of my other devices can, even my Droid phone -- but the iPad cannot/will not. It simply cannot see the printer. And, since nothing is user-adjustable with an Apple device, that is that. No printing.

All of this is SO frustrating, since (as I said) from a hardware standpoint the iPad is just about perfect. It is simply effed-up by crappy programming.

What's amazing is how little you hear about all the problems. Apple fans are extremely loyal, and keep all this pretty hush-hush, but in my opinion the product is fatally flawed.

To put it all in perspective, my wife played with it for about 30 minutes when we first got it, ran into the laughably bad faux keyboard, discovered she couldn't print -- and never looked at the iPad again. It's THAT bad.

So, I'm in the gang of folks eagerly awaiting the killer Android tablet.

1. No Flash. In fact, Apple is PROUD that they do not/will not run Flash. This decision alone renders the iPad nearly useless, as the vast majority of internet video is Flash. Much of the internet is invisible to the iPad..
As far as I am concerned, the statement how missing Flash makes "much of the internet invisible" is merey your wrong-headed opinion. I have Flash blocked in the browser and guess what, I'm replying to you on the Internet. How does it work, what a miracle. The ONLY Flash website about which I care however tangentially is Crunchyroll (since Youtube works just fine without Flash).

As far as I am concerned, the statement how missing Flash makes "much of the internet invisible" is merey your wrong-headed opinion. I have Flash blocked in the browser and guess what, I'm replying to you on the Internet. How does it work, what a miracle. The ONLY Flash website about which I care however tangentially is Crunchyroll (since Youtube works just fine without Flash).

Yup, text-based internet sites work just fine without Flash. Most sites with video (local news sites, as one critical-to-me example), however, do not.

It's just such a silly thing. Steve Jobs is petulantly insisting that his way (HTML5) is the best way, and if that means you can't see all those other websites, well, too bad for you. He may be right, of course, but who cares? This isn't a decision that is supposed to be made for us by the viewing device.

If I was a betting man, I would say that Apple will live to regret this attitude.

It's just such a silly thing. Steve Jobs is petulantly insisting that his way (HTML5) is the best way, and if that means you can't see all those other websites, well, too bad for you. He may be right, of course, but who cares? This isn't a decision that is supposed to be made for us by the viewing device.
The decision is made by some jackass who streams video in Flash. And then you are supposed to snap your heels, bend over, and install Flash. You cannot argue that Apple somehow is taking your agency away when in fact it's the video provider who did it.

Look, Apple sucks enormously, and I'm not going to buy any of their overpriced crap anymore, but Flash is one thing they got right.

The iPhone calculator does scientific. Just rotate the device horizontally.

Skyhog said:
Again, buying a device because someone else wrote software for it is dumb.
You're just not going to convince me of that. I could give a crap less about a "device". I want the device to do something and that something is the software. It has a job. I choose the device based on the software. So does most of the world.

I buy/build servers based on the software they will run.

Desktops are bought based on the software they will run.

Pretty much all hardware is bought based on the software they will run.

You're just not going to convince me of that. I could give a crap less about a "device". I want the device to do something and that something is the software. It has a job. I choose the device based on the software. So does most of the world.

I buy/build servers based on the software they will run.

Desktops are bought based on the software they will run.

Pretty much all hardware is bought based on the software they will run.

How's that Windows Laptop working out for ya then?

Agree 100%. I've been swayed into buying cool hardware without thoroughly checking the software twice in my life:

1. The Garmin 496
2. The Apple iPad.

I have regretted both purchases. Never again.

How's that Windows Laptop working out for ya then?
I've been using Mac laptops since 2008. I'm a Linux administrator and software developer. Mac OS X makes more sense for both of those tasks. It closely resembles my *nix systems. I can test and do all sorts of stuff in it that I simply can't do in Windows (Cgywin sort of gets you close..but barely). I feel absolutely crippled on a Windows box.

Now you might say that I'd be better off with a pc laptop running Linux. The problem with that is getting a lot of "corporate"-ish software to work right..Like VPN clients for specific firewalls, etc. It's just not as supported as Mac OS. Becomes a PITA.

The other problem with a Windows laptop is we have yet to find one with the build quality of the latest Mac laptops. We've tried to find em. Lenovo Thinkpads get close..but it's still not there. Even our Windows admin agrees there. I'm hard on laptops and tend to break them.

Last edited:
So I should wait for Apple to develop a competitor to ForeFlight? :dunno:

That's my main use for the iPad - Flying. You've been talking up Naviator, but I'm pretty sure Google didn't write that...
I'm also not claiming that apps are the only reason to buy a device

That's not FlipBoard, and FlipBoard isn't a magazine reader.
Can I get a hint on what it does?

I usually use Google Maps for both. No, it doesn't give voice prompts. If I actually need turn-by-turn, I use MotionX... Who cares if it's built-in? :dunno:

1. You have to pay for MotionX
2. If they go out of business,you're hosed.

They were happy with the RAZR (and the StarTac before it) because it made them look cool, not because it was a good device.
why does that sound familiar?

Why does it need to be an Apple app??? :dunno:
Because if its not, youee paying extra for it, you're at risk for the app drying up and disappearing, and there's no reason it can't exist on multiple platforms, so its not really a specific app (see Angry Birds, which you had to pay for but I get for free)

So everyone's telling me that Flash is why I should go with Android, and now I have to turn it off when it becomes a pain in the ass? :dunno:
No. You can. Options. Its your device, you should get to choose how it works.

In the built in browser?

I don't get mobile versions - Most webmasters who are worth a crap have non-flash-required full versions of their sites that work just fine on the iPad. VERY few web sites actually require Flash. Those that do, well, if I wanted to see 'em bad enough I'd download SkyFire or Flash Browser or one of the other ones. But it's been a LONG time since a lack of flash has kept me from seeing the content I wanted.
Great! In 2022 you'll have a compliant browser.

I've been using Mac laptops since 2008. I'm a Linux administrator and software developer. Mac OS X makes more sense for both of those tasks. It closely resembles my *nix systems. I can test and do all sorts of stuff in it that I simply can't do in Windows (Cgywin sort of gets you close..but barely). I feel absolutely crippled on a Windows box.

Now you might say that I'd be better off with a pc laptop running Linux. The problem with that is getting a lot of "corporate"-ish software to work right..Like VPN clients for specific firewalls, etc. It's just not as supported as Mac OS. Becomes a PITA.

The other problem with a Windows laptop is we have yet to find one with the build quality of the latest Mac laptops. We've tried to find em. Lenovo Thinkpads get close..but it's still not there. Even our Windows admin agrees there. I'm hard on laptops and tend to break them.

But there's more software on PCs!

But there's more software on PCs!
Did I ever say it had to do with "more software"? It has to do with the software required to do the job that needs to be done.

Just note that I can find a cheaper, or free version of almost everything you're talking about that is available on Android.

Lordy, I'm the ultimate cheapskate... I just counted. There's 151 different Apps including the built-ins on my iPhone. I've paid for Foreflight, LogTen Pro, and 12 others. They all do different things I want on my device, or I dump them. Subtract 4 from that number, since I'm currently "demoing" 5 different free RDP Apps to cull down to one that I'll keep. Put all five on for free, will keep the best one. Haven't had to do enough RDP lately to spend any time on the testing.

Oh, btw, what built in app do you use for Turn By Turn directions when you get to a city you've never been to before? How about to find a gas station when you're almost out of gas on the freeway in the middle of nowhere?

I typically "flight plan" better than that. ;-)

The ability to have widgets which display useful information on the homescreen makes all the difference in the world. Want to see your email? Use the email widget. Calendar? Calendar Widget. Both at the same time? Hey, they're both there. Takes 4 taps or even more to get even close to that on iOS.

Actually I *don't* want to read or see my e-mail unless I open it. It's a "avoid distractions" thing.

You never sent picture messages? You still don't? Really??

Why pay to send pictures through MMS when you can just e-mail them? :dunno: Call me old-fashioned. ;) I think I've done it three times in all the years I've owned an iPhone -- and that was because I knew the person on the other end was a) mobile, and b) didn't have a phone that could receive e-mail but could receive MMS. That seems to be the teeny-bopper and T-mobile phone market crowd to a T. Frankly with Push e-mail, SMS loses value rapidly.

You wanted a cell phone that didn't suck and you got a Smart Phone, when all Smart Phones, iPhone included, took about 30 steps backwards in mobile voice clarity and battery life?

I have to agree with you there, but I think Kent's meaning was "hated their cell phone user interface", really. And I think you knew that, too. You took advantage of his missing words.

All cell phones have lost voice clarity. That's a network function more than the phones. CODECs are tighter and tighter. Then we all stuff those through Bluetooth for an even more awful audio experience. ;)

I'll have you know that most people did not "hate" their mobile phones back then, people were actually quite happy with crap like the RAZR. However most people hated their Smart Phones back then because they were stuck with Windows Mobile or if they were business people, Blackberries.

Haha... "I'll have you know!!..." that's funny...

I didn't hate my multiple Blackberry phones. They did e-mail fine.

I did have a love/hate relationship with my Palm devices, mostly 'cause they crashed all the time.

I really hated the RAZR, but they were basically free by the time I used one. Nokia 2160i was pretty good. Favorite form-factor in that size and around that time was the Nokia 8260. Probably my favorite "phone-only" phone, ever. TDMA back then sounded good. Battery was great on that thing. Tiny size, it'd fit in a jeans pocket along with other stuff. Loud as all get-out. Back would fall off once in a while in your pocket, though.

Least favorite phone ever... Kyocera QCP 6035. What a god-awful mix of Palm and phone. At least it wasn't as fugly as the Handspring VisorPhone!

The true changer toward Smart Phones people liked was not the iPhone as you suspect, but the BlackBerry Pearl 8100. That phone was a PITA to use, but had so many features people loved them. I hated it because it broke every rule about phones, but not in a good way.

It was the cheapest-built Blackberry I ever owned. But it was small and light and still did e-mail pretty well. The other features, sucked. Web? Laughable attempt at that. Wasn't much else... a badly written calendar sync made it suck at calendars with any real recurrency-based events in them, and I found a few ways to instantly crash it in most of the other "PDA" functions.

The little roller ball was the cheap part... always sticking, never accurate. Good for its day, but a good touch-screen interface was the REAL thing that saved smart-phones.

I missed my full-sized Blackberry keyboard when I went to the Pearl. I thought I wouldn't. But I did.

You hit the point that drove the iPhone home: Apple freaks bought them so that they could have a piece of fruit on the back of their PC and their PCS.

I love how you label people freaks. There are the Apple freaks, yes... the people who stand in lines at the retail stores and wait for things on release day... or maybe they're just the type of folks who like to go to such "events".

But there's a large bunch of people who buy the stuff just because it works for them, not because of the logo. My old boss would be a good example... he's an old Unix guy. Doesn't care about Apple in the slightest. But he and his family had a number of their products. They also had other competitor's products too, in their household. They bought whatever worked for them.

The whole "freak" thing gets kinda old. No one here is calling you an "Android Freak" in this discussion. How about being civil about it?

If they hated their mobile phones, it was because they had Smart Phones (HTC and Blackberry were king back then, although Motorola's Blackjack was pretty popular too IIRC).

Those really weren't that bad. Well, the Blackjack was awful, but that's because Motorola still to this day can't design a UI to save their asses. Anroid and the oh-so-imaginitive "Droid" campaign, just saved Motorola's cellular division. 'Bout time.

They were great at RF, and thus very early to market in the cell phone world overall -- first brick phone, everyone had a flip/StarTAC back in the day, etc. But when the UI had to do something more than DTMF... they fell down. Hard. Nokia ate them alive. Nokia phones had "style". Moto was still building bricks.

Again, except that it didn't do half of the stuff a "dumb phone" could do, and was using technology that was at least 5 years behind. Note that the same design model exists in today's Verizon iPhone: Rather than use the standard that Verizon has in all of their new phones, they chose not to go 4G. But people still bought them.

Verizon probably had no say in that decision at all. Neither did Apple, really if the rumors floating around are true, that Qualcomm's promised multi-carrier/multi-technology chipset (both GSM and CDMA and all the high-speed data variants layered on top of that) was still in Alpha even though they'd promised Apple it'd be ready to go for iPhone 4.

Apple wanted to build a single phone, and then via firmware tell it which carrier and technology to use, so they could have a single device supply chain world-wide. Makes sense. For that to happen you need a radio chipset up to the task.

Every CDMA phone manufacturer on the planet must license CDMA technology from Qualcomm. There is zero choice in that. If you look a little deeper behind the scenes, you'd see that all hardware manufacturers in that space are wholly-dependent on Qualcomm and what they deliver. If Qualcomm slips a deadline, everyone else does too.

iOS's native browser doesn't handle Flash. In fact, no Apple App does.

Neither does anyone else's... they all license from Adobe. MSIE, Opera, Chrome, whatever... all have to add in Adobe's proprietary product in order to work.

1. HTML5 is the way of the future, yes. But the future is 2022, not 2011. Right now, we are using a model of HTML5 that will not be HTML5 until 2022, and we are using a non-standards compliant version of HTML (http://www.webmonkey.com/2008/09/html_5_won_t_be_ready_until_2022dot_yes__2022dot/)

And everyone used HTML 1, 2, 3, and 4 for years before those were fully "ratified" as standards. Goes for most of the RFC'd protocols that run the entire Internet, really.

Standards aren't like they once were, where they're set in stone and only then do manufacturers use them. They're fluid until they're already obsolete.

It's a goofy game. But I point it out because HTML 5 will be ratified by the time we're all using HTML 6 -- and 7 is already being tinkered with by developers.

2. You can turn off flash in Android if you don't want it. In fact, you can uninstall it if you really don't want it. But you don't have any options in iOS. You do what you're told, and you can't experiment. I prefer having the option of trying to view a site rather than not being allowed to view a site.

So you don't want Apple dictating what their device can or can't do, but you don't mind Adobe dictating that Flash is "the standard" when it's not? LOL!

I suppose if you really enjoy going to mobile versions of your favorite websites from your 10 inch screen with a crappy resolution (1024x768 IIRC), rather than going to a full version of your favorite website from a 10 inch screen with a much higher resolution, without losing functionality due to not being able to view content that works on every other browser (Mac included), then there's no way you can see the problem with the iPad.

Yup...

"We don't care if we have Flash."
"Then you don't see the problem!"
"Nope."

ROFLMAO... you're great fun, Nick. Seriously.

You really don't want to admit that some people do buy iPads not because they're Apple "freaks" or because they're somehow mentally deficient... but because they find the device does what they need, just fine.

I readily admit that others buy Android because those also do what they need, just fine.

Your arguments remind me of other circular arguments...

"Guns are bad."
"Not for me."
"Yeah, but you don't see the problem! Guns are bad."

And...

"A college education is required."
"But I know how to do things your college grads don't, that you need to run your business, and I'm cheaper and happier to have the job."
"Yes, but a college education is required."

And...

"[Insert favorite political party here] is bad."
"Because your'e in the other one?"
"Yes. You fail to see the problem. [Party] is bad."

Thus...

"iPad is bad."
"But it does whatever I've wanted it to do."
"Yeah, but you don't see the problem! iPad is bad!"

Uhhhnnng.... [beat head here]... Okay.

You keep saying iPad is bad for everyone, and then give a whole bunch of reasons that only matter to YOU. Okay, we get it. You don't want an iPad. Don't buy one.

I didn't want a Commodore 64 back in the day either. I was a Tandy fan. Guess which one sold more units on FAR weaker technology?

"A serial interface to a floppy drive? Puh-lease!" -- I used to say.
"The Motorola 6809E chipset kicks the 6502 up and down the block!" -- I used to say.
"I can run Microware OS/9 on this thing, a Real-Time OS! With a frakkin' hard drive!" -- I used to say.

Didn't mean squat at the sales register.

Console yourself -- we still have to have a "C:\" drive because DOS won out over all other sane operating systems where the OS would allow you to name the main drive whatever you wanted, and kept track of low-level crap out of sight of the user. Bad tech wins in the market ALL the time.

If you truly think the iPad is "bad", it just doesn't matter. It may still win in the marketplace for a good long time.

We're still running computers today that haven't had floppy disks in years, with drive letters "A" and "B" still reserved for them. And that... in 2011... is utterly retarded.

It won't matter who wins the overall sales numbers this year, or next. Someone will come up with something "better" every year.

Whether they call it something new, or just slap a higher version number on it, is just Marketing. Android version 10000, or iOS version 20... they'll either do things the users want them to do, or they won't sell.

The most interesting trend in computing these days is the conflict between "business" and "personal" computing. Even HP gives a nod to it in their marketing material, "The computer is personal again." But at most companies, it's really not.

Even funnier, same company, same marketing department... the Business-class laptops are called "EliteBooks".

So are you Elite if you have a business PC, and not Elite if you have one of the others, even though they've promised your computer is "Personal" again? ROFLMAO.

(By the way, HP's making pretty nice machines these days... but they're forever known as a printer company... and an expensive printer company at that...)

I bring up the Marketing story to point out something to you Nick... you're VERY wrapped up in not liking Apple's "cult-like" Marketing strategy.

I know a number of folks that have that feeling, and it's kinda fun to watch you guys get all worried about it.

The point above is that all manufacturers are doing that these days... HP's a bit more subtle about it, is all.

Palm was king of the smartphones for a few years... and pioneered and crushed all competition for a long time in the "PDA" market. Now they're virtually dead and gone now. The end of their PDA reign was the release of their technology to Handspring.

I had a Diamond Rio MP3 player once too.

All these tech gadgets, will pass into oblivion. The thing that won't pass into oblivion, is the fact that we all have cheap touch-screen tech that can bring our charts into the cockpit without a 200 lb. Jepp bag now.

My old giant Jepp binder bag just got re-purposed as a padded case for a CAP radio. It ain't never takin' another airplane ride, ever again.

1. No Flash. In fact, Apple is PROUD that they do not/will not run Flash. This decision alone renders the iPad nearly useless, as the vast majority of internet video is Flash. Much of the internet is invisible to the iPad.

Doesn't really bother me that much, but hey... I'm watching mostly YouTube these days and NetFlix...

2. A faux keyboard that -- for no apparent reason -- does not have "delete" or "arrow" keys. You haven't known frustration until you are trying to position the cursor BEHIND your mistake, so you can backspace over it, with a fat finger on a touch screen.

I agree and don't make any excuses for the keyboard. Although I "fixed" the problem pretty easily with a bluetooth keyboard if I'm really going to spend serious time typing on the iPad, but I usually don't. It's a "consumption" device more than a "creation" device, in my mind.

3. Quirky/buggy apps. I've tried three different Gmail apps, and they all show quirky behavior. (The current one will not show evidence that your post has been sent. So you send it again. Thus, people end up getting email 3 times.)

Why are you using an App for Gmail? Gmail is integrated directly into the on-board Mail App. Pop in your Gmail account, done. Works fine here. What do you need Apps for? You're aware that Gmail mail, contacts and calendars are all natively supported by the device's built-in Mail, Contacts, and Calendar applications, right?

At one time I had Gmail, Exchange, MobileMe, and an IMAP account plus a WebDAV calendar... all syncing just fine into the native Apps... at the same time. Can do a "All Inboxes" or just look at the individual mail accounts, and the calendars and Contacts work similarly too.

Same type of problem with Facebook apps. Notifications don't always work. Photos don't always resolve when selected, etc. They are just buggy apps.

Facebook's problem, really. Their CEO doesn't like Apple. He's come out and said FB doesn't need to support iPhones or iPads at all.

FB's own App is the worst. I recommend the App "Friendly" for Facebook on iPad, if you must have an App.

Most of the time I post to FB with Seesmic (because it'll cross-post to both Twitter and FB at the same time and read both at the same time without all the ads and fluff on FB's site -- which is exactly why FB doesn't like Apps, by the way... they don't get paid for ad revenue from API views), and I read FB in the browser or if I feel adventurous the FB App. There have been a number of updates to the FB App in the last few weeks, so perhaps FB finally got a clue? Don't know. Latest one seems relatively non-buggy.

But you don't really need an App for FB.

4. Can't connect my camera to the iPad, even with the over-priced after-market Apple "camera kit". (Which I returned for a refund.)

Does your camera have a "USB Mass Storage" mode in the settings? Many cameras have a proprietary interface, and then you have to select boring ol' works-everywhere "Mass Storage" mode in the camera settings as the setting that everything works with. Even happens on PCs if you don't load their silly drivers. (And why cruft up your machine with drivers when Mass Storage mode is available and standard on almost all cameras these days?)

That said, my new Sony A55 works in either communications mode, just fine, and/or I can just pop the SD card into the other adapter that comes with the Camera kit.

All three work for me. What camera do you have?

5. No USB ports. Really!

What would you hook to them? It's not a PC, and Apple never said it was... but I'm curious. What devices would you want to plug in? There's not enough power in the battery to power things like hard drives for very long... and even things like USB headsets actually do work through that "Camera kit" USB port... did you know that? I haven't found a need...

6. Can't print. Supposedly it CAN print wirelessly to my HP color wireless printer -- all of my other devices can, even my Droid phone -- but the iPad cannot/will not. It simply cannot see the printer. And, since nothing is user-adjustable with an Apple device, that is that. No printing.

It'll only print to HP printers that have the "special feature" of AirPrint. Are you saying your printer is on this very specific list at this web page?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/airprint.html

Meanwhile... hacks are out for it, and work fine. I'm printing just fine to various printers around here without loading any Apps on the phone or anything.

I run a free hack on one of the Macs to make the iPhone and iPad think there's one of those fancy HP printers on the network... then it acts as a print server to the printer. Same hacks are available for Windows. But Apple never claimed to support any of that. They support that tiny list of printers linked above. They're pretty clear about that.

I think I've printed a whopping ten pages, and all of those were approach plates from Foreflight. Why print? I keep documents in a Dropbox account these days, and they're easy to get at and view in a number of Apps or the browser...? If I have something to print while I'm away from home, I just toss it in a folder up on DropBox, and when I get home to a PC, I open the DropBox folder and right click... Print... done. Can do the same thing mobile with the laptops, work (PC) or home (MacBook) ones.

All of this is SO frustrating, since (as I said) from a hardware standpoint the iPad is just about perfect. It is simply effed-up by crappy programming.

By... Apple? Other than the silly printer thing, the App writers are at fault. I doubt that's really all that much better on another platform... unless that App writer does better work on the other one. There will be good and bad Apps on both tablet platforms. Heck, even Blackberry's in the game with their PlayBook... it'll have buggy stuff too.

Welcome to modern software "engineering"... it's pretty much all crap these days. Companies have no idea which of their coders are good, and which are bad. They all crank out the piles of crap equally.

What's amazing is how little you hear about all the problems. Apple fans are extremely loyal, and keep all this pretty hush-hush, but in my opinion the product is fatally flawed.

I don't see how you downloading bad software and expecting it to work is a fatal flaw in the device itself, but .... mmm-kay. ;)

To put it all in perspective, my wife played with it for about 30 minutes when we first got it, ran into the laughably bad faux keyboard, discovered she couldn't print -- and never looked at the iPad again. It's THAT bad.

It's not a PC. Sounds like no tablet will do what you want unless you go with a tablet that runs a full OS. They've been out for years. This fascination with printing from a tablet really has me interested though. I just read stuff on the screen and file it away electronically. :dunno:

Cool beans. I hope it does what you want, but I'm skeptical. Tablets are tablets... they're not laptop replacements (yet). They may never be.

You kinda sound like what you needed was a MacBook Air or similar sized full-blown machine. iPad is an oversized iPod Touch with a much faster CPU and better screen... that's all it is. Even as a iPad user, I didn't jump to iPad 2... the cameras are worthless to me... the faster CPU will be nice someday if I ever upgrade, but not all that important yet. (Once crapware/bloatware sets in on Apps that are years old and the developers haven't moved on to new projects yet... then the big CPU will become important.)

I think the reason you think Apple fans don't talk about the "flaws" is that we've never seen any iOS device as any more than a big fast iPod touch. So in that light, we don't see those things you want to do as "flaws"... they're things an iPod touch could never do, and maybe never will.

As far as Adobe Flash goes - Jobs has explained why they didn't do it. Some people don't like it. They won't be buying. I don't think he's losing any sleep over it. He and the head of Adobe could have a cage deathmatch I suppose, if that'd help get the point across. LOL! It annoys me on some websites, but a quick Google of just about any "content" someone sent me in the Flash format, finds an alternative upload to YouTube or whatever. If I miss the video of the jumping dramatic squirrel on Vimeo, I'm pretty sure I'll survive until I get to a "real PC" later on. Bookmarking and bookmark syncing makes that a breeze.

The printing thing -- I fully expect Apple signed some exclusivity deal with HP, but under the hood, the devices can talk to anything any other UNIX system can print to. They just ripped it out and took money from HP to play a game for a while to sell more HP printers. Wonder how much HP paid for the privilege? I also expect that contract will run out eventually and the devices will print to anything on the network then.

What can I say... buggy Apps will be everywhere... and the other items were well-documented before you bought it... so... ??? Mostly I just thought I'd share tips on those items which can easily be fixed, like the Gmail thing and FB... in case that helps you out any.

Yup, text-based internet sites work just fine without Flash. Most sites with video (local news sites, as one critical-to-me example), however, do not.

Uhh, all my local news stations have Apps. Seriously. Video works great in them. You might check yours.

The networks have all contracted out to companies that do App development and run the servers and everything, at least around here.

I have a folder on both my iPhone and iPad titled "Denver News" which has AP's App, Apps from the local ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox Affliates, and an App from the Denver Post. They started out pretty buggy, but now I don't even bother watching the local news unless it's on in the background as noise.

These local News Apps even have Push alerts... when big local breaking news happens, my iPhone goes a bit bonkers. (I turned the alerts off on the iPad.)

I am out of popcorn. Someone get me a refill.

Jay,

Try out SkyFire or Flash Browser, both available on the app store.

Ummm... It does have a delete key. Right there in the upper right where it is on every keyboard I've ever seen. :dunno: Arrow keys would be nice occasionally, but I'm not sure where they'd put them without putting another row of keys on the keyboard or making them all smaller.

BTW, for those of us with fat fingers, you don't have to repeatedly tap trying to get the position right. Hold your finger down near the text you want to edit, and a magnifying glass will pop up above your finger so you can better see where the cursor is. Move your finger until the cursor is where you want it, and release. Problem solved.

That's Apple's fault? :dunno: I have my GMail account set up in the built-in Mail program, and it works fine. Why are you using different apps for that?

The Facebook web site works great on the iPad, though...

I do agree about the Facebook app. (I wasn't aware there was more than one). It took them forever to even decide to develop an app for the iPad, and it was such a piece of junk when it first came out you couldn't even rotate the screen. It was worthless.

It's gotten a lot better, but I've pretty much given up on it. I don't use Facebook a whole lot, and when I do I'm usually at my computer anyway. I'd say that if I had an icon for the Facebook web site on my home screen, I'd probably use that instead of the app. And I've noticed the same problem with push notifications, I seem to get a huge batch of them all at once every couple of weeks. But that's Facebook's fault.

Huh. Interesting.

5. No USB ports. Really!

Well, if you need 'em that bad, that's what the camera kit is for... It does more than cameras. I've never felt the need, myself.

Interesting. I got nothin'. :dunno:

If you have it plugged into a computer, there are utilities out there that will emulate a compatible printer. I wonder if that would work.

There's a certain set of use cases that I don't think they've addressed very well. If you're a person who has a computer for most things, the iPad can work great. But it does have limitations that would drive me absolutely bonkers if I didn't have a computer.

The keyboard is my least favorite of my everyday devices (MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad, in that order) - A full-size physical keyboard can't be beat. I like the iPhone keyboard best of the mobile ones - A tiny physical keyboard sucks because I have fat fingers, but the iPad's keyboard sucks because it's too big to type as fast with 1 or 2 fingers, but you can't really touch-type on it because you have to keep all your fingers lifted off it which is very uncomfortable. If I was going to be using it for typing a lot, I'd simply get a bluetooth keyboard instead.

I think you're likely to be somewhat disappointed with those too, based on your list above.

I'm also not claiming that apps are the only reason to buy a device

Nor am I.

Can I get a hint on what it does?

It looks at various things - Your twitter feed, your facebook, RSS feeds, and some other things that they've put together - And scrapes all the links. Then it takes those sites and puts them in a newspaper-style thing. It's really pretty cool - I can go through my Twitter feed using a regular client, read everything, and then go back with Flipboard and it's completely different - There's a lot of links I don't follow because people's comments aren't necessarily a good indicator of what's in the article, but when the article itself appears on my screen, I'll often find it extremely interesting.

1. You have to pay for MotionX
2. If they go out of business,you're hosed.

You only have to pay for MotionX if you want voice prompts. I don't use it enough to feel like that's worthwhile. MotionX also isn't the only solution by any means. TomTom and others have done the same kind of apps.

Because if its not, youee paying extra for it, you're at risk for the app drying up and disappearing, and there's no reason it can't exist on multiple platforms, so its not really a specific app (see Angry Birds, which you had to pay for but I get for free)

So... First of all, there are plenty of free apps on iOS too.

Second of all, for the better apps, if I'm paying for them and you're getting them for free, how is the company making the Android app going to stay in business? Sure, Angry Birds it's the same company - But either you're getting ads or something, or they have plans to make money off you somehow.

In the built in browser?

Again, WHO CARES. I don't want it in the built-in browser, because I don't want the built-in browser to be all crashy crasherson. If I need Flash that bad, I'll download Skyfire.

Great! In 2022 you'll have a compliant browser.

Hint: I don't care if it's "compliant." All I care is that it works, and works well. I also don't think it'll take anywhere near that long to get HTML5 finalized. We'll be on HTML37 by then. ;)

Try out SkyFire or Flash Browser, both available on the app store.

These allow Flash video to play on the iPad? Cool, thanks.

Ummm... It does have a delete key. Right there in the upper right where it is on every keyboard I've ever seen.

That's a backspace key. A delete key deletes stuff that's BEHIND the cursor. A backspace key deletes stuff that's in FRONT of it. When you're trying to move that itty-bitty cursor with your big fat finger, moving the damned thing to the other side of a single letter is infuriatingly difficult.

Adding arrow keys would make that task simple -- which is why the PC has 'em. Why this simple fact eludes Apple is a mystery.

BTW, for those of us with fat fingers, you don't have to repeatedly tap trying to get the position right. Hold your finger down near the text you want to edit, and a magnifying glass will pop up above your finger so you can better see where the cursor is. Move your finger until the cursor is where you want it, and release. Problem solved.

Worked around, not solved.

That's Apple's fault? :dunno: I have my GMail account set up in the built-in Mail program, and it works fine. Why are you using different apps for that?

Heh, it's funny you should ask. The onboard Mail app doesn't recognize any of the "Groups" I've set up in Gmail. This means when I want to send (for example) an update to my family, I must enter each address separately, rather than typing in the group name.

So, I went looking for a Gmail app. Sometimes it works great. Sometimes not. I have no idea why.

The Facebook web site works great on the iPad, though...

Facebook itself is so effed up sometimes that it's hard to discern whether it's an iPad problem, a Facebook problem, or a wireless network problem. Probably a bad example to use, since it may not be iPad's fault.

If you have it plugged into a computer, there are utilities out there that will emulate a compatible printer. I wonder if that would work.

My HP wireless printer IS on the Apple list. But there is nothing on the iPad that is user configurable, so the danged thing either prints, or it doesn't. In my case, it doesn't, which frustrates the living sheat out of me. Even my Droid2 prints on this printer, for chrissakes!

I think you're likely to be somewhat disappointed with those too, based on your list above.

You may be right, but I don't think my wish list is that daunting. I want to use the tablet to:

1. See video on the internet. All of it, not just Job's Choices.
2. Print emails on my wireless printer.
3. Connect my camera to it, and manipulate pictures.

It would be nice to have a sane person design the faux keyboard, but after five months I'm learning to work around the missing keys. :lol:

Heh, it's funny you should ask. The onboard Mail app doesn't recognize any of the "Groups" I've set up in Gmail. This means when I want to send (for example) an update to my family, I must enter each address separately, rather than typing in the group name.

So, I went looking for a Gmail app. Sometimes it works great. Sometimes not. I have no idea why.
You just need to setup Gmail as an exchange server which will then sync your gmail contacts to your iPad.

See:
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

These allow Flash video to play on the iPad? Cool, thanks.

I'm not sure how Flash Browser works. SkyFire actually sends flash content to their own servers and translates it into HTML5 there before feeding it to the iPad. So, Flash video will play, EXCEPT for Hulu which blocked access via SkyFire because they want you to pay them to have to watch more ads. :mad2:

That's a backspace key. A delete key deletes stuff that's BEHIND the cursor. A backspace key deletes stuff that's in FRONT of it. When you're trying to move that itty-bitty cursor with your big fat finger, moving the damned thing to the other side of a single letter is infuriatingly difficult.

Agreed on moving to the other side of a letter, but why not put the cursor to the right of what you want to delete? And BTW, my keyboard's key that removes the character to the left of the cursor is labeled "delete." Delete does not imply forward-delete as in the key that's in the six-pack above the arrow keys on the standard PC keyboard.

Adding arrow keys would make that task simple -- which is why the PC has 'em. Why this simple fact eludes Apple is a mystery.

I think I have an idea why they did that, and if I'm right, the arrow keys will be added in another iOS update or two.

See what Jesse said...

Google's fault, not Apple's. :dunno: If you're into conspiracy theories, you might think that Google did this on purpose to drive people toward Android...

My HP wireless printer IS on the Apple list. But there is nothing on the iPad that is user configurable, so the danged thing either prints, or it doesn't.

Take a look at these and see if they'll help:

http://www.apple.com/support/ipad/assistant/airprint/
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2766712?threadID=2766712&tstart=0
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/ePrint-Print-Apps-Mobile/AirPrint-suddenly-won-t-work/td-p/589069

Actually, maybe go from bottom to top... Or google it yourself. It seems that the HP AirPrint thing is a bit quirky. :dunno:

I love my iPad for flight planning/filing and weather. Use it in flight on my knee as a high tech sectional. I don't see anything replacing it in the near future.

I'm looking for something smaller than the iPad, but bigger than the iPhone to use as a GPS as a secondary navigational aide.

I'm thinking of trying the Galaxy Player 5 with Avilution or Naviator.

Any thoughts on the Galaxy 5?

Mike

I love my iPad for flight planning/filing and weather. Use it in flight on my knee as a high tech sectional. I don't see anything replacing it in the near future.

I'm looking for something smaller than the iPad, but bigger than the iPhone to use as a GPS as a secondary navigational aide.

I'm thinking of trying the Galaxy Player 5 with Avilution or Naviator.

Any thoughts on the Galaxy 5?

Mike

Mike, I am doing the Android thing now and let me tell you it's a pain in the ass. I bought an Acer 7" (A100) and it will not get a GPS lock no matter what I do. It probably would with an external GPS but I don't want to keep throwing money at it.

I am using Avilution on my HTC Thunderbolt (Rooted + ROM) and it works GREAT. Fast GPS locks and even inflight data at >3000AGL... Anyway, I just bought a Galaxy Player 5 and it works well. You will need to let it update the AGPS data on WIFI before you use it but once I did that (with GPS Status and Toolkit) I got an immediate GPS lock on 9 sats.

So if you can live with the 5" screen, it's appearing to be a viable option. I didn't want another family of device, ala iPad and I also had a subscription to Avilution. Naviator is about to get tested after I post this and I'll report how it works.

Keep in mind I am ground-based as I test these. I haven't had a chance to get out to the airport seeing as I bought these today.

Thanks for the input. I picked up a Galaxy Tab 7 Plus and am very happy with it thus far.
Playing with demo versions of Avilution and Naviator.

I flew to breakfast in Death Valley last weekend using a Lenovo tablet trying each app and was much happier with Navitor. The Samsungs nicer screen and newer OS seem to make all the difference for Avilution.
Flying with it for first time tomorrow, quick business trip to Kingman. Then Saturday afternoon my wife and I are flying to Laughlin to spend the night and hang with some friends.

I will try to post the results.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm glad this thread has picked up again, as I've wondered lately about the best application to use as a backup when I fly (an LSA, straight day VFR, so I have no real need for a fancy electronic chart program, but well...)

I've had some experience with WingX, and I've been playing around with the Garmin Pilot app during the free demo period. The Garmin didn't knock my socks off like I thought it would, especially when the costs start adding up. Naviator seems like the best overall value, so I'm eager to hear your impressions of it.

Congrats on picking up a Samsung. I've had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 since November, and it's been absolutely bulletproof. Can't imagine life without it.

Just jumping in to the pool here...Anywhere Map just came out for both Android and iOS and I have it installed on my ASUS Transformer. So far I think I prefer it to both Avilution and Naviator. The main thing lacking on it right now that Naviator has is geo-ref approach plates, but Anywhere Map should be adding those as well as XM and ADS-B support in the next couple of months.

Also, the initial release of Anywhere Map was fairly buggy for me (don't let the poor reviews scare you too much), but they just released version 1.0.6 a couple of days ago and it's pretty solid all around.

http://store.controlvision.com/android.html

The best features for me that Anywhere Map has are the Cones of Safety (will tell you if you are in gliding distance of an airport), the glideslope approach to any runway and obstacle warnings. I've practiced a visual approach using the glideslope at several different airports and I think it's just a really neat reference feature to have. I also like the obstacle avoidance, because I don't always immediately update my Garmin unit, since it can be a hassle to take it out of the plane and hook it up to my PC.

Last edited:
.Anywhere Map just came out for both Android and iOS and I have it installed on my ASUS Transformer. So far I think I prefer it to both Avilution and Naviator.

http://store.controlvision.com/android.html

The best features for me that Anywhere Map has are the Cones of Safety (will tell you if you are in gliding distance of an airport), the glideslope approach to any runway and obstacle warnings.... I also like the obstacle avoidance, because I don't always immediately update my Garmin unit, since it can be a hassle to take it out of the plane and hook it up to my PC.

I used to own an anywheremap ATC. It was ok, had some nice features like you listed.

Downfall I currently see with them is it will cost me $80 to try it...
I'm trying Avilution and Naviator for free.

Just flew from KVGT to KIGM with Avilution. It worked very well for the most part, plane flew off the screen a couple times, even after trying the keep 75% of map in front of plane option. Haven't figured out how to set track up yet,

Will try Naviator for return trip this afternoon.

Galaxy Tab screen is wonderful.

Mike

Flight home with Naviator went well.
There are things I like about each (Naviator & Avilution) and things I don't like. I don't have time tonight to give a detailed report, and am flying to Laughlin tomorrow for dinner and a show with friends returning Sunday. So it may be early next week but I will report.
I have some screen shots and GPS tracks from using the apps and will get some more over the weekend.

For now I want to say that I'm leaning toward Avilution.

Smsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus screen is better than my iFly GPS and even my iPad (1) and it doesn't take up to much space on the windscreen.

Mike

Mike, I think I agree with you about Naviator. I think I like it better than Avilution... I will say this though, there's no track up on Avilution.

I'm glad this thread has picked up again, as I've wondered lately about the best application to use as a backup when I fly (an LSA, straight day VFR, so I have no real need for a fancy electronic chart program, but well...)
Backup huh. A funny story happened when I went to the fly-in in Clovis yesterday, on which you missed out. On the way there, I got lost. The area is quite flat and there aren't many landmarks. So... everything was peachy until I rounded the restricted area and had to change from heading 80 to 110. At that time I apparently went along a wrong riverbed and detected that expected checkpoint was nowhere to be found.

First, I reached for my civilian GPS... It was nowhere in the bag! (I later found that it was in a completely unexpected pocket with other emergency supplies)

Second, I called Canon Approach in the hopes they'd pick me on radar. They were stone dead, that being Saturday.

Third, I fished out my AV8OR. The N2966V has the 12V outlet dead, but I had just a bit of juice left. It booted up and said "NO POSITION DATA". I shook it like monkey an eyeglasses, but it was no use.

Finally I ran on a city, which was the one near the airbase, and followed the road out East and found the CVN without much drama. Landed with 7 gallons left. Good thing this is not Kansas, as flying over there is like flying over ocean. But the point is that I had 3 backups fail on me in quick succession.

Backup huh. A funny story happened when I went to the fly-in in Clovis yesterday, on which you missed out. On the way there, I got lost. The area is quite flat and there aren't many landmarks. So... everything was peachy until I rounded the restricted area and had to change from heading 80 to 110. At that time I apparently went along a wrong riverbed and detected that expected checkpoint was nowhere to be found.

First, I reached for my civilian GPS... It was nowhere in the bag! (I later found that it was in a completely unexpected pocket with other emergency supplies)

Second, I called Canon Approach in the hopes they'd pick me on radar. They were stone dead, that being Saturday.

Third, I fished out my AV8OR. The N2966V has the 12V outlet dead, but I had just a bit of juice left. It booted up and said "NO POSITION DATA". I shook it like monkey an eyeglasses, but it was no use.

Finally I ran on a city, which was the one near the airbase, and followed the road out East and found the CVN without much drama. Landed with 7 gallons left. Good thing this is not Kansas, as flying over there is like flying over ocean. But the point is that I had 3 backups fail on me in quick succession.

Given how the Remos has both a 496 and 696, I think any kind of additional EFB is overkill at that point. Doesn't mean I don't want it, though... and as you show, it never hurts to be over-prepared!

And thanks for rubbing it in how I missed out on Clovis!

I have posted my thoughts on my testing on my website.

I'm also posting them here:
I picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus to test try in the cockpit as a GPS/EFB secondary navigation.

After 5 hours in the cockpit of 2 different airplanes (DA40 and 172) these are my thoughts:

The Galaxy Tab 7 Plus:
Screen is fairly easy to see in most lighting conditions when you use manual brightness. It has some glare, and when using brighter settings runs the battery down sooner as expected. The battery lasts about 5 hours. Of course it could always be plugged into an external power source.
GPS works very well. Seems to acquire signals fast and hold them on the ground or in the air.
Summary IMHO it works as well or better than my iFly700 or my iPad 1. Less money, and small enough to ram mount to the windscreen.

Android apps I have tried in the cockpit so far.
Both apps worked ok for secondary navigation.
With just the few hours I have so far it is possible I have missed something.
The 2 apps I tested allow you to download charts with a subscription and have a free trail period. I did not try the new Anywhere map app as they do not offer a free trail.

Navigation/Moving Maps apps:
Naviator http://www.naviatorapp.com/
What I like
Rubberbanding of flight plans
Compass around airplane with waypoint heading bug
it saves your GPS track as a .pgx file and you can easily export it to view. You can view a GPS track on my website: http://www.mjd2.com/MJD2/PR.html
Button to center on airplane

What I don’t Like:
When the chart doesn't display
No track up
capture_01.jpg

Avilution Maps http://www.avilution.com
What I like:
Charts stitched together
Displays Altitude
Has a quit button

What I don’t Like:
No ruberbanding
no track up
doesn't follow airplane icon
Can’t view the tracks it records
capture_03.jpg

Last edited:
I have tried 4 aviation apps on my Galaxie tab during my flight yesterday. I had high hopes for AviationMaps and Naviator. After dealing with both of those in the cockpit being diverted by ATC on a hazy day; too many steps to change a course while in the air and getting close to class B airspace. I found when I barely touched the glass, everything would go out of wack. "No GPS" alert kept showing. The simplicity of Garmin Pilot seemed more manageable while being frustrated in the cockpit. The current Garmin Pilot is an early release missing some touch features, but this helps with less functionality. Difficult to see the mini airplane though. I found the life saver to be OpenFlight GPS. This was simple, easy to find location and did not get scrambled if you accidentally touch the screen. My 2 cents.

Back