Samsung Galaxy Tab

What I don’t Like:
No altitude indication

Just to clarify this point, if you "long-tap" in any of the four corners of the map where the data fields are displayed you can pick from a list of field types, including GPS altitude and barometric altitude (if supported by your device).

Cheers,
Mike

My new phone (Galaxy Nexus) supports barometric altitude; I updated the altitude setting on Naviator after I installed it on my new device...pretty neat.

Just to clarify this point, if you "long-tap" in any of the four corners of the map where the data fields are displayed you can pick from a list of field types, including GPS altitude and barometric altitude (if supported by your device).

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks for the Tip.

Mike

Agree 100%. I've been swayed into buying cool hardware without thoroughly checking the software twice in my life:

1. The Garmin 496
2. The Apple iPad.

I have regretted both purchases. Never again.

That surprises me Jay. I've only had the 396 in my plane for the last 5 years and have flown all over the country with it. Love it.
Everyone else I know swears by the iPad and Foreflight. Since I don't have room for it in a tandem plane I'me praying the smaller one this fall isn't just a pipe dream.

Last edited:
Reviving this thread...

Galaxy Tab and the phone equivalent, Galaxy Nexus have had an injunction slapped on them and are currently not for sale in the U.S. due to Patent infringement on Motorola.

Interesting.

It won't last. Courts are finally wising up the flagrant abuse of the patent system by Apple (and others).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/jul/01/apple-google-patent-case-john-naughton-comment?CMP=twt_gu

I ordered a Nexus 7 last week. The 7" form factor is far superior for use in smaller cockpits and as a knee board than the ipad and other 10"+ devices. It's hard to beat the price as well. If you wanted to buy a GPS enabled ipad, you're looking at $629 for the 16gb model. The Nexus 7 is $200 for 8gb or $250 for 16gb and both include GPS, BT, WiFi, 1280x800 IPS display, camera, mic, accelerometers, gyros, and a quad core processor.

http://www.google.com/nexus/#/7

I have been very tempted in the past to buy an ipad, but there have been a few things stopping me. Lack of integrated GPS, unless you buy the 3g/4g version, and I'm not interested in having a BT GPS (one extra thing to charge, need more chargers, might lose it, etc). The cost is also a bit high for a device that I would probably be replacing every year when new ones come out. I don't own a mac, and I like to develop for my devices, but apple only puts out an SDK for mac OS, unlike Google which puts out their SDK for all platforms. Finally, inconvenient form factor for use in the cockpit, proprietary charging connector, poor sunlight visibility, and overheating issues when used in direct sunlight for extended periods.

I can understand why apple users defend their macs/ipads/iphones so fiercely. I've always believed that people will fight harder to defend their choices when they have a lot of money invested in that decision. No one wants to feel like they've made a bad decision. The apple products are quite pricey, and once someone buys into the entire apple ecosystem they have quite a bit of money expended.

Reviving this thread...

Galaxy Tab and the phone equivalent, Galaxy Nexus have had an injunction slapped on them and are currently not for sale in the U.S. due to Patent infringement on Motorola.

Interesting.

Can't compare subsidized vs. unsubsidized prices as a reasonable comparison. What's the unit cost without a cellular subscription?

Can't compare subsidized vs. unsubsidized prices as a reasonable comparison. What's the unit cost without a cellular subscription?

$200 for 8gb and $250 for 16gb. The nexus 7 does not have any cellular capability, and is therefore not subsidized by wireless carriers. At that price, I would even expect some ios users to buy one out of curiosity or for backup. The price also makes it much more kid friendly. I wouldn't want to hand a 3 year old a $500+ tablet.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong. From what I've seen of Foreflight it looks to be superior to anything currently available on Android. I'm not trying to hate on apple, I just have limited funds, and am unwilling to buy into the entire apple ecosystem. If apple were to release a cheaper smaller tablet along with a linux SDK I would almost certainly buy one.

$200 for 8gb and $250 for 16gb. The nexus 7 does not have any cellular capability, and is therefore not subsidized by wireless carriers. At that price, I would even expect some ios users to buy one out of curiosity or for backup. The price also makes it much more kid friendly. I wouldn't want to hand a 3 year old a $500+ tablet.

I don't want anyone to get me wrong. From what I've seen of Foreflight it looks to be superior to anything currently available on Android. I'm not trying to hate on apple, I just have limited funds, and am unwilling to buy into the entire apple ecosystem. If apple were to release a cheaper smaller tablet along with a linux SDK I would almost certainly buy one.

Just picked up a Nexus 7 for our flight to OSH. Will post a review once I get some apps on it.

I hope it's better than my iPad 1.

Back