Safety Wire

PilotRPI

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
PilotRPI
What size safety wire do I use for an oil filter? To complete my carry-on tool bag, what size is most common on the plane?

image.jpg

I've used safety wire for what seems like a ton of things away from aviation, mostly around the house. Useful stuff. Couple of rolls in the garage, last a long time.

Why not go with what the FAA recommends?

FAA AC 43.13-1B, Chapter 7, Section 7, Para 7-123 b. states in part:

When using double-twist method of safety wiring, .032 inch minimum diameter wire should be used on parts that have a hole diameter larger than .045 inch. Safety wire of .020 inch diameter (double strand) may be used on parts having a nominal hole diameter between .045 and .062 inch with a spacing between parts of less than 2 inches. When using the single-wire method, the largest size wire that the hole will accommodate should be used.

There is more to the AC than that snippet but it is an excellent source of information and I'd suggest that you refer to it if you have no other guidance.

Quiz, what are some common aircraft items which use (frangible) copper or brass safety wire?
Entrants to quiz may not routinely sign any of the letters P, or A, or I after their names.
Bonus points for an official reference!

Quiz, what are some common aircraft items which use (frangible) copper or brass safety wire?
Entrants to quiz may not routinely sign any of the letters P, or A, or I after their names.
Bonus points for an official reference!

I guess they could look at the post right above your post for a possible reference.
:rolleyes:

I've used safety wire for what seems like a ton of things away from aviation, mostly around the house. Useful stuff. Couple of rolls in the garage, last a long time.

Indeed!

I got some metal saw horses to store a wood canoe I picked up, cut some carpet for the tops, best thing to hold it on, SS safety wire, really comes in handy

copper or brass on stuff you want to undo with pulling/turning it hard like a cessna cardinal fuel shut off valve or a fire extinguisher

I am thinking at some point, someone somewhere has made a fire extinguisher or emergency valve 'fast' with ss wire, resulting in a calamity. Just human nature.

I am thinking at some point, someone somewhere has made a fire extinguisher or emergency valve 'fast' with ss wire, resulting in a calamity. Just human nature.

I saw more than a few guarded switches in cockpits safety wired with steel rather than copper during my airline career. Normally when a young mechanic does one without knowing better. To my knowledge we never had one that was done wrong and needed to be used by the crew in an emergency.

I saw more than a few guarded switches in cockpits safety wired with steel rather than copper during my airline career. Normally when a young mechanic does one without knowing better. To my knowledge we never had one that was done wrong and needed to be used by the crew in an emergency.
That's the real reason for the crash axe.

the quiz is invalid, brass or copper wire is not a safety wire, it is a breakaway wire.
had a check airman that would go crazy if you called it safety wire in a oral.
bob

Last edited:
Always wanted to take the crash axe on the layover, and then go thru security in the am the next day and tell TSA it's required equipment on the plane.

Also known as "witness wire". Salvo switches, canopy jettsion levers, emergency gear cranks and "War Emergency" gate on some mixture controls get it. There are others, but thats all I can think of right this minute.

Also known as "witness wire". Salvo switches, canopy jettsion levers, emergency gear cranks and "War Emergency" gate on some mixture controls get it. There are others, but thats all I can think of right this minute.

DV window cutaway

[QUOTE="James331, ]DV window cutaway[/QUOTE]

DV window??? Got me on that one.

Ahhh...understand, most of what I work on, the direct vision opens with a bang if you are in a hurry to exit....

Back