Safety Pilot for IFR Student? Legal?

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by VWGhiaBob, Jun 11, 2019.

1. dtuuri

dtuuri En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dtuuri
    If I've followed the thread correctly it's been argued above that a non-IFR rated pilot can fly the plane and log PIC time under IMC (with a hood) as long as a safety pilot/PIC (agrees to be PIC) is in the aircraft. Post #35 then states that an insurance company doesn't require the PIC to meet insurance requirements—they only care about the pilot controlling the aircraft (who is a named insured). That's not how you followed the thread too?

2. chartbundle

chartbundle Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    chartbundle
    As mentioned, always discuss before who is PIC, emergency procedures and what the safety pilot is going to be doing. Even as a non-CFI I'm happy with any thing from "don't hit anything" to playing ATC and scenarios and critiques. With the understanding that it's worth what they're paying, so, nothing.

3. SToL

SToL Ejection Handle Pulled

Bush Alaska, Colorado Rockies & Valley of the Sun
    Display Name:

Display name:
    SToL
    It's not an argument. It's a regulation of the FARs.

4. SToL

Display Name:

Display name:
    SToL
    You're looking at this all wrong.. in your scenario, there is no safety pilot. It's an instrument rated pilot on an ifr flight plan, allowing another to manipulate the controls. Only the Instrument rated pilot can log the time. This is not a 'safety pilot. scenario.

5. dtuuri

dtuuri En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dtuuri
    Whatever, I'm just not sure if Tommar98 or I am not following the thread right.

6. dmspilot

dmspilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    Nope. Only the sole manipulator may log time.

7. SToL

Display Name:

Display name:
    SToL
    You are correct. Only one can log PIC time.

I was thinking of the 'Acting as PIC' logging when agreed upon, however that applies to ac where more than one pilot is required. Since this is not a 'safety pilot' scenario, that would not apply. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    dmspilot likes this.
  8. dtuuri

dtuuri En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dtuuri
    Nope. Only the sole manipulator may log time.

9. dtuuri

dtuuri En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dtuuri
    Reality check: Isn't this absurd? The only person responsible for the flight can't log PIC time since s/he isn't "manipulating" the controls, but the stupid student can log it even if s/he hasn't a clue about what s/he's doing. Thanks, Chief Counsel, for letting this get so out of hand. :rolleyes: It's legal lying, that's what it is.

10. SToL

Display Name:

Display name:
    SToL
    Actually, they both can log PIC as long as prior, they both agree the safety pilot is the acting PIC. Now that's an absurd one.

11. dtuuri

dtuuri En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dtuuri
    You are correct, my mistake. The Chief Counsel is still guilty of botching this mess up. They should only allow PIC logging by the acting PIC. "Steering" the aircraft should be a separate kind of logged time.

12. SToL

Display Name:

Display name:
    SToL
    It should be logged as 'FAC'... Fiddler at Controls

13. dmspilot

dmspilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Display name:
    The Chief Counsel didn't botch anything, the regulations were literally written that way from the get go.

14. midlifeflyer

midlifeflyer Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    I long ago gave up the idea that the FAA making choices about what activities the FAA will count toward the FAA's requirements for the FAA's certificates, ratings and privileges need to be measured by anyone's standards other than the FAA's, or that someone abiding by them is morally deprived.

15. dtuuri

dtuuri En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dtuuri
    Not before somebody dropped an "or" from Part 61 in the logbook section. There was only one PIC at a time.

@midlifeflyer, we never had these discussions (confusions) back in the 60s. This all stems from a typo in 1972 and the Chief Counsel's inability to see it.

16. midlifeflyer

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    I might buy that argument...except for one small thing. If it were a "bad" interpretation based on a typo, it would have been fixed with a corrective amendment. But the FAA still hasn't fixed the "typo" 47 years years later, despite multiple revisions of Part 61, some of them huge and others adding categories of "logged" PIC.

17. dtuuri

dtuuri En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    dtuuri
    Well yeah, that's my point! Endless confusion because of it. You shouldn't need a flowchart to figure out if time can be logged, you should just need common sense. A student logging PIC time while on an IFR flight plan makes no more sense than Buddy Hackett logging PIC time while flying through a billboard.

18. midlifeflyer

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mark
    I will agree wholeheartedly on one point. The FAA would have made it easier on our brains by using some term other than "pilot in command flight time" for logged PIC.

Fortunately, the more it is discussed, the less confusion I see. When a lot of people understand and join in, people seem to more easily pick up the idea that "acting" is about authority, duty, and responsibility, and "logging" is something you do after a flight while having a beer, and that they aren't (and don't necessarily have to be) co-equal.

19. apr911

apr911 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    apr911
    Unfortunately, the issue comes down to the same problem I've cited before elsewhere on this forum. How do we measure experience?

The FAA and airlines (and many many others) try to quantify that which is an inherently qualitative not quantitative which leads to an insufficient analysis because Acting PIC vs Flying PIC vs Logging PIC dont necessarily equate to some level/amount of experience.