Safety Pilot for E-AB Phase I

poadeleted20

Deleted
In the past, the FAA limited all E-AB Phase I testing to solo flights. Some folks pointed out that this discouraged builders from bringing along someone better qualified to judge the characteristics of the new plane and provide some instruction in its operation. The FAA has created a new system for permitting E-AB builders with little or no type experience to bring along another appropriately-qualified pilot during Phase I testing. See AC 90-116 for details.

Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About time, this is a real world measure to improve safety for E-AB during the critical first few dozen hours.

Good on FAA, EAA and anyone else who pushed this through.

'Gimp

Looks like it's hard to qualify as second pilot.

No time in type, no go.

I was excited about this until I started reading the fine print. It excludes anything but kit built airplanes. I built a plans built sonex buying some stuff from the manufacturer and opting to make some parts myself. Even though I end up with the exact same plane in the end I won't qualify. I don't quite get the reasoning behind their elimination of plans built aircraft. If there are any airplanes that need both a skilled pilot in one seat and the builder in the other it would be plans built planes. I guess this is better than nothing. At least it helps the Rv crowd. Almost all other types are either not going to be kit built or you won't be able to find another pilot that meets the minimum qualifications

Keith

Excludes Turbine powered aircraft such as the Lancair IVPT and Evolution.

I don't quite get the reasoning behind their elimination of plans built aircraft. If there are any airplanes that need both a skilled pilot in one seat and the builder in the other it would be plans built planes. I guess this is better than nothing. At least it helps the Rv crowd. Almost all other types are either not going to be kit built or you won't be able to find another pilot that meets the minimum qualifications

Excludes Turbine powered aircraft such as the Lancair IVPT and Evolution.

No way the NTSB is going to push the FAA around. Maximum foot drag applied.

If you think about it, that makes a lot of sense for someone assisting someone else for the first flight of an amateur-built airplane.

I guess. My buddy's about through with his RV-8 and he was hoping I could go along with him. He's TW endorsed, but real rusty since he's been building, not flying.

I've flown SIC in a RV-8 for .5 hours.

I was hoping I could go up with Ken and help him during phase I. He wants to fly the hours off of it quickly. I wouldn't have any bones about jumping in a brand new 8 if they'd let me. Would I be the best qualified RV-8 pilot around? ... not by a longshot. But I'm a pretty good TW stick mover. Two pilots beat one ... all that jazz, but you're probably right. He needs another RV-8 owner to go up first with him. :redface:

Either that or you need to find someone else with an RV8 who will let you build a little time in it.

I was excited about this until I started reading the fine print. It excludes anything but kit built airplanes. I built a plans built sonex buying some stuff from the manufacturer and opting to make some parts myself. Even though I end up with the exact same plane in the end I won't qualify. I don't quite get the reasoning behind their elimination of plans built aircraft. If there are any airplanes that need both a skilled pilot in one seat and the builder in the other it would be plans built planes. I guess this is better than nothing. At least it helps the Rv crowd. Almost all other types are either not going to be kit built or you won't be able to find another pilot that meets the minimum qualifications

Keith
My impression is the FAA does not want two test pilots. With a kit built airplane, there is a way to make sure the safety pilot has time in type. With a plans built airplane, it is possible that both are unfamiliar with flight characteristics.
I see your point, but see why the FAA would rule as they did. Maybe they'll relax a bit later, butit's hard to see on what basis.

The FAA is a big bureaucracy, with a lot of inertia. It's very hard to get them moving, but once they start, they tend to keep moving. I'm encouraged by this change, and expect that as time passes and they find positive effects from the change, they will expand the coverage.

Back