Safety Pilot - Central Florida. KGIF, KBOW, KISM

PacmanJC

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Stephen
First post here. I’m beginning my IFR journey and looking for fellow pilots in the area that would like to get up and do some flying. I looking for someone willing to sit in the right seat and be a safety pilot so I can get some hood time built up. I own my own PA-28R-200 (complex) that is stationed over at Winter Haven (KGIF). Of course if someone is interested in flying some hood time themselves I would be ok with splitting some time for fuel costs.

First post here. I’m beginning my IFR journey and looking for fellow pilots in the area that would like to get up and do some flying. I looking for someone willing to sit in the right seat and be a safety pilot so I can get some hood time built up. I own my own PA-28R-200 (complex) that is stationed over at Winter Haven (KGIF). Of course if someone is interested in flying some hood time themselves I would be ok with splitting some time for fuel costs.
Sir, I'm interested

I'm based at KGIF also and might be able to help occasionally. I'm VFR only, though, so don't expect any coaching or IFR advice. I could probably hook you up with another pilot or two on the field who have an IR. Shoot me a PM.

Why not just go with up a CFII and knock out required training? It's more expensive but you'll also avoid doing things incorrectly and building bad habits that you have to spend even more money unlearning down the road. Save the Safety pilot request until after you have your ticket and need to maintain currency and proficiency. If you do feel like you need more practice, then only do things that a CFII has demonstrated to you--don't try and teach yourself. Even better is if you can find an approved Sim -- no safety pilot required and its cheaper than flying.

Why not just go with up a CFII and knock out required training? It's more expensive but you'll also avoid doing things incorrectly and building bad habits that you have to spend even more money unlearning down the road. Save the Safety pilot request until after you have your ticket and need to maintain currency and proficiency. If you do feel like you need more practice, then only do things that a CFII has demonstrated to you--don't try and teach yourself. Even better is if you can find an approved Sim -- no safety pilot required and its cheaper than flying.
I get what you’re saying, but it’s also about meeting other pilots

This is really good advice. As for hood time and practicing approaches etc you can do that on a flight simulator. The time may or may not count depending on the simulator but the muscle memory works. I know the desire to get flight time but flying IFR is more about technique and resource management than time and there is a strong potential of developing bad habits if learning without a well qualified CFII.

I'm a non-local CFII, and I'd be willing to go up with you on one of my many Orlando trips. My payment will be you flying the ILS 15 at KISM so I can get pictures of Disney on the approach :p

Back