Russian Bomber Crash

Wow. Didn't look like he hit hard enough to break the airframe that badly on the bounced landing.

Ouch. I hope they made it out, but it didn't look too good for that.

Must have had prior damage from a hard landing.

Gee, that's heartbreaking. . .or a good start. . .

That rate of descent seemed pretty fast.

It sure vaulted the rear section of the airplane pretty high into the air. Look how long it took for it to hit after the plane broke apart.

RIP

Never seen a plane break in half quite like that one.

Seemed to me the pilot tried to "set it down" rather than "hold it off". I never liked that mindset.

Isn't the standard "one hour from bottle to throttle" in Russia?

Seemed to me the pilot tried to "set it down" rather than "hold it off". I never liked that mindset.
I hear things are a bit different in jets - I wonder if that was an option here that late in the game. It sounded like they made some sort of power change right before the crash landing.

Not good at all. Looked to me like he had a fair amount of vertical velocity to lose, and didn't do it. Still, I would have expected maybe gear through the wings, but that was wild and far beyond what I would have expected. RIP to the crew.

Last edited:
Sounded like a ton of power was added before he got to the runway. Must have been trying to hold off the descent. Very sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounded like a ton of power was added before he got to the runway. Must have been trying to hold off the descent. Very sad.

The sound lag made it hard for me to figure out what was done with the throttles and when.

Back