Runway closed, can I take off on taxiway

An Airport Manager can not give you permission to violate a FAR.
The FAA defined a runway as-
  • rectangular area on a land airport prepared for the landing and takeoff run of aircraft along its length. Runways are normally numbered in relation to their magnetic direction rounded off to the nearest 10 degrees (e.g., Runway 1, Runway 25). (FAA-H-8083-5)

• A taxiway is a path for aircraft at an airport connecting runways with aprons, hangars, terminals and other facilities. They mostly have a hard surface such as asphalt or concrete, although smaller general aviation airports sometimes use gravel or grass

you can not take off from a taxiway...its a taxiway...
I think people just want someone else to give them permission to have someone to blame if something goes wrong...would you takeoff below weather mins with out an IFR if airport management said it was ok....or fly out of annual cause the airport manager said it was fine....or even have a few drink at the airport bar....you'll be fine the airport manager said it was cool...where in the FAR's does an Airport Manager have the power to dismiss a FAR...

• rectangular area on a land airport prepared for the landing and takeoff run of aircraft along its length. Runways are normally numbered in relation to their magnetic direction rounded off to the nearest 10 degrees (e.g., Runway 1, Runway 25). (FAA-H-8083-5)

• A taxiway is a path for aircraft at an airport connecting runways with aprons, hangars, terminals and other facilities. They mostly have a hard surface such as asphalt or concrete, although smaller general aviation airports sometimes use gravel or grass

I think people just want someone else to give them permission to have someone to blame if something goes wrong...would you takeoff below weather mins with out an IFR if airport management said it was ok....or fly out of annual cause the airport manager said it was fine....or even have a few drink at the airport bar....you'll be fine the airport manager said it was cool...where in the FAR's does an Airport Manager have the power to dismiss a FAR...

Where in the FARs does it prohibit taking off and landing from a taxiway?

Are you stuck there or just want to fly out?

He is no longer stuck there. coloradobluesky has gone west.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...-safely-doug-barr-aka-coloradobluesky.111325/

coloradobluesky's name was Douglas Barr. I got to know him only briefly, over three visits with him in Colorado. I see the obituary omitted the fact he had quite the adventurous life as a pilot. His first Aviat Husky was equipped with amphibious floats. From Colorado he flew it twice to Alaska, once to Maine, and flew every summer to a favorite lake in central British Columbia, Canada for an extended fishing trip. He logged 2500 hours on that first Husky and had photo albums full of pictures of the plane and the places he had explored with it. He also did some tailwheel instructing.

Doug told me he started having "withdrawal symptoms" almost immediately after he sold his first Husky. He bought the second Husky, sight unseen, immediately after it was listed for sale (he was the first call and the seller didn't even know the advert had been published yet). He logged another 300 Husky hours on wheels in that plane.

Doug had a house full of musical instruments, and a basement well stocked with one of the more elaborate model railway sets I've seen. As with most such enthusiasts he had plans for numerous improvements and additions to the railway. And he was still playing his guitar when I saw him in July, a few weeks before he died.

I should be so fortunate to reach 68 years of age and say I lived life as well.
RIP

View attachment 69097

View attachment 69098

Can you cite the part 91 regulation to support your position? Also, there’s nothing to prevent an airport manager from designating a portion of a taxiway as a runway. But even if he didn’t, it’s not a violation unless the action falls into the territory of 14 CFR 91.13.

can you site in part 91 that I can't land and take off on city streets,"it’s not a violation unless the action falls into the territory of 14 CFR 91.13." I am sure I can land and take off on city street cause part 91 doesn't say I can't...Why do we even need airports? ....I have spoken to the local fisdo about this issue..taxiway is not a runway...most don't have the setbacks ( safety area) to allow this also the airport manager doesn't certify an airport the FAA does or as in California Caltran Aero division. The ALP defines the runway this cant be change on the whim of the airport manager...

can you site in part 91 that I can't land and take off on city streets,"it’s not a violation unless the action falls into the territory of 14 CFR 91.13." I am sure I can land and take off on city street cause part 91 doesn't say I can't...Why do we even need airports? ....I have spoken to the local fisdo about this issue..taxiway is not a runway...most don't have the setbacks ( safety area) to allow this also the airport manager doesn't certify an airport the FAA does or as in California Caltran Aero division. The ALP defines the runway this cant be change on the whim of the airport manager...

Actually you can land on highways, in certain circumstances, provided the owner of the highway allows it. Most don’t for obvious reasons.

Did you register today just to share this pearl of wisdom?

Since you are an expert in airport planning then you must be well aware that many many airports redesignate taxiways to be used as runways? Did you know that NW AR Regional Airport (XNA), a commercial service airport, used AIP funding to build a taxiway, that was later used as a runway, so that they could rebuild the original runway? Taxiways are often used as part of the construction staging plans when runways get rehabbed.

Did the FSDO employee you spoke to cite the regulation that would be in violation if an airport manager approved the use of a taxiway as a landing surface?

Don’t confuse airport design criteria for operational regulations. Runway safety areas have no impact on the legality of one to use a particular surface as a runway.

can you site in part 91 that I can't land and take off on city streets,"it’s not a violation unless the action falls into the territory of 14 CFR 91.13." I am sure I can land and take off on city street cause part 91 doesn't say I can't...Why do we even need airports? ....

I have landed on many roads across the country many times. As a matter of fact, growing up we used to land on the road in front of our house and tie the plane down in our front yard. We did this from the early 70s until the mid 90s when I moved away.

The FAA does not control where you land, unless it falls under careless and reckless. That is between you and the property owner of where you're landing, be it an airport manager, a city, county or state.

Today it's getting harder and harder to find roads you can land on because of all the litigation, cities and counties don't want the liability, but there are still places you can do it. Oh how I miss the good ole days.

A bunch of years back I was working the P3 intersection at Oshkosh. I'd just directed a plane out on to taxiway P proper when he came to a screaching halt. I turned to see a Bonanza shoot past at a high rate of speed. I'm thinking, way the hell is he taxiing so fast, and then I realized he had just landed on the taxiway.

The next day a bunch of guys came out with some rollers and buckets of paint. They stood around having a conference at the end of the taxiway. I turned to the guy working with me and inquired if they might be having a hard time figuring out how to spell X.

When can I take off on the taxiway? I called Flight Service and they said they don't know. Just knew runway closed. How do they decide to move ops to the taxiway. Anyone know?

If you can land on a taxiway at OSH, why not at a lower density airport? ( I acknowledge the circumstances are vastly different including markings and NOTAMS). Good enough for OSH, it's good enough for any other airport!

sorry if already mentioned- aside from good legal & practicality points discussed...
I worry slightly about if the conversation with the insurance company would go smoothly.

sorry if already mentioned- aside from good legal & practicality points discussed...
I worry slightly about if the conversation with the insurance company would go smoothly.
I’d suggest knowing ahead of time whether or not your policy allows off-airport operations (the term that would apply in the insurance world to this operation).

There is no regulation that I'm aware of that says you must land on a runway. Even if it's at an airport. If the NOTAM says use the taxiway, then it's a no-brainer. Use the taxiway. Otherwise, keep 91.13 in mind.

I believe there is. That's one of the things that happens that you get to call the 800 number. Harrison Ford landed on the taxi way and not the runway. They cared. Yet in this case there isn't a tower. So.... I'm going to say it breaks some rule. Kind of guessing.

I believe there is. That's one of the things that happens that you get to call the 800 number. Harrison Ford landed on the taxi way and not the runway. They cared. Yet in this case there isn't a tower. So.... I'm going to say it breaks some rule. Kind of guessing.

In Harrison's case, he was cleared to land on the runway, not the taxiway. Devil's in the details.

I've flown aircraft from towered and non-towered airports alike, where we operated from surfaces that weren't runways. Hell, I've landed an airplane in the grass next to the runway before, when the locals all told me that's what people do. But please, continue to tell us it's illegal.

Apparently it's only illegal in California. But who needs to land in California? They have recreational mj use... Stay high, never come down at all...

fly to the scene of the incident, or be recovered at the scene of the tragedy

I land on the grass alongside the runway all the time at my home field, all the taildragger guys do.

The taxiway next to the runway in Bermuda is available for landing in an emergency, such as the runway being blocked and you don't have enough fuel to fly to an alternate.

And, then there is the famous 18L/36R at Oshkosh... (but don't tell the FAA!)

The FAA knows about taxiway A. It's officially redesignated during the show. They even go out and change the signage.

The funny one was the year the F16 went off the end of 36 (left). I flew the warbird approach in my Navion and the tower says...

Cleared to land 36R. I want you to run off the end... (long pause)... on purpose. There's a taxiway there.

Back