Runup in parking?

Concord and Vacavile to be precise.

Not sure if this thread concerns transient parking which can be a wholly different experience.
Both of those airports have a lot of space. That makes a lot of difference.

You'll get sideways looks at Palo Alto, really ****ed off neighbors at Reid, and a call to the cops at Sac Exec (particularly under the half-shades).

What if the taxi lane is known to get busy? Is it better to block traffic while you start up in the taxi lane or is it better to blast your neighbors while you start up in the tie-down?

What if the taxi lane is known to get busy? Is it better to block traffic while you start up in the taxi lane or is it better to blast your neighbors while you start up in the tie-down?

Then, you'll have to be prompt about your startup.

Where I was taught and currently fly, when tied down where we tie down there are no aircraft behind us. So we start up in the tie down area and we'll taxi out around 900 RPM even when between other aircraft. The runup is done in the runup area.

When I've gone to SBP, they'll stagger the aircraft in transient. When that happens, I'll pull/push the plane so that the back end isn't facing any other planes before I start up.

If you are blasting anything that can be damaged from a few rocks hitting it, it's not a good idea.
I also think it's a good idea to move the plane at least one full tire rotation before you start up. Leaving chocks or tie downs is fairly common.

Just don't prop blast other people stuff, not complicated, however it's one of those things, if someone doesn't just get it, they probably are the type that they never will understand it no matter what you say to them.

Other people's kids...

My tie down is sloped. I can't physically pull my plane uphill into the lane by hand, so it gets powered out, sometimes with more power than I'd like, but always with the minimum required. Run up is done at the run up area. The flight school that keeps all their planes nearby does the same thing. Even if you're in a spot where you can pull out by hand our ramp area is too busy for it really. You'd have a traffic jam with the amount of time it takes the typical student pilot to get in, buckle up, start, listen to atis, run checklist, call for taxi. They do all that in the parking spot.

Back