Run up and mag check

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
On the Bonanza Net, there has been a lot of discussion about whether one should do a run up and mag check before each flight. Please keep in mind these are plane owners that have a lot of flying time-many former military and airline pilots. Some folks have wondered why they don't see others do a runup. Here's one thread that is pretty enlightening. There was a lot of other discussion also. Many of these folks have a lot of after market parts on these aircraft: so, they may be much different than what you are flying or what even a normal Bonanza might be.

Dave

==========================================================

This problem is new to me, but it ties in well with my thoughts that many of us spend way to much time and effort on engine runups.

All we really need for a mag check is a quick observation at twelve to fifteen hundred RPM that all plugs are firing. The best time to do a diagnostic magneto check is inflight.

Why do we check the props before very takeoff? Personally, I think cycling the propellors before takeoff is a throw back to ancient propellor design and ancient oils.

I quit cycling my propellors when I read in a Continental overhaul manual that I should not cycle the propellor before the first test hop of the engine because that action took oil pressure away from the front main bearing and that the new engine needed all the oil it could get.

In the olden days, we were taught to cycle the propellor to get warm oil into the dome and to help remove the sludge. What will happen if we don't cycle the prop? Well, it may surge on takeoff.

Modern propellors have a small flow of oil all of the time. If the engine is thoroughly warmed at moderate power, the oil will be circulated adequately.

I have not cycled the propellor in the last three thousand hours of operation of my airplane and it has never surged even once.

Modern propellors fed with modern oil do not need to be cycled.

Now, how about the feather check? Well, if you check it once, how do you know it hasn't failed immediately after that check?

Personally. I make a feather check before my first flight in any multiengine airplane. After that, I check it only on occasion.

When that occasion arises vary's based on my knowledge of the airplane. Once a week or once every twenty to thirty hours of operation serves me just fine. Most of our light twins have fixed mechanical connections that maintain featherability. If the mechanisms work once those connections are made, it should continue to work as long as those connections are properly maintained.

Back when I was a gainfully employed airline pilot flying piston engined airplanes, we checked the feather buttons after every start because they were electrically operated and the power for the feathering motor came through the same current limiter that was used for starting the engine. The idea was that by hitting the feather pump momentarily, we were checking the current limiter. There was no need to run that pump any longer than was needed to assure that it was getting electrical power. It always occurred to me that we might even fail that current limiter by the momentary check, but it never happened to me, so I guess it worked acceptably.

We cycled the propellors with the propellor controls only at the first runup after picking up any particular airplane. If we made ten more stops that day, no more cycling and only a long enough tap of the feather button to assure electrical continuity.

Do all the runups really needed to assure proper operation of the components, but don't do them needlessly or without thought as to why you are doing what you are doing and what, if anything, is being accomplished.

Dave Siciliano said:
On the Bonanza Net, there has been a lot of discussion about whether one should do a run up and mag check before each flight. Please keep in mind these are plane owners that have a lot of flying time-many former military and airline pilots. Some folks have wondered why they don't see others do a runup. Here's one thread that is pretty enlightening. There was a lot of other discussion also. Many of these folks have a lot of after market parts on these aircraft: so, they may be much different than what you are flying or what even a normal Bonanza might be.

I almost always do at least a quick mag check and feather check before takeoff. The exceptions are if I just landed after a short flight and when the taxiway surface is too slippery to hold position with runnup power (in that case I just check the mags on the JPI at fast idle and look more carefully at the display during the takeoff roll).

Here's my reasoning:
A plug can foul anytime, but IME it's most likely to happen on approach or during taxi (especially if you don't lean agressively). With a graphic analyzer a marginally adquate mag check doesn't take more than a few seconds.

The feather check is marginally redundant in that you'd need an engine failure to even notice a problem with the feathering in flight. That said, the mechanical linkage is subject to wear and if it gets loose (this has happened to me twice) your ability to feather is severely compromised even though you can still control RPM quite well.

I rarely do a prop governer check beyond the feather part because I feel it's hard on the props and boots plus I can easily detect a governer problem early enough in the takeoff roll to abort safely if one crops up.

As to the need to cycle the prop to get oil in the hub, I think you'll find that the hub is fully pressurized on a twin anytime you are running on the ground, even at idle. What doesn't happen by itself is the exchange of warm oil for the cold stuff in the prop, but IMO cycling doesn't do all that much for that anyway and as long as you have the proper oil for the temps, gelling shouldn't be an issue. And if you do have nothing but solid "grease" in the prop due to straight weight oil and really cold temps, I can't see how cycling the prop will help all that much given the cold temps of the hub itself and the farily cool engine oil temps during the first runnup.

The guys specifically did say they do cycle the props if the engines are cold. But, most preheat the engines when it's under 40f. One that lives where it gets cold, has a heated hanger. The So. Cal. guys don't deal with the issue much.

On the mag check, they do that while taxiing and watch for a rise on all egts--which means all plugs are firing.

Interesting food for thought. But the main reason I posted this is to point out to inquiring minds why they may not see another plane do a run up before departing. Bear in mind, the two guys putting up most of the posts are 20,000 plus hour pilots (which I will probably only have a chance to reach in my next life!!)

Best,

Dave

I know they are 20,000 hour pilots. Reading their comments makes me wonder, though, if that 20,000 hours hasn't caused them to become a little complacent. After all, we could all launch into the blue without bother with runups, and 99.9% of the time nothing will happen to any of us, from 100 hr pilots to 20,000 hour pilots. IMHO, experience is not a substitute for caution. The runup takes all of 30 seconds. Personally, I can't think of a good reason not to do it.

Dave Siciliano said:
The guys specifically did say they do cycle the props if the engines are cold. But, most preheat the engines when it's under 40f. One that lives where it gets cold, has a heated hanger. The So. Cal. guys don't deal with the issue much.

On the mag check, they do that while taxiing and watch for a rise on all egts--which means all plugs are firing.

Interesting food for thought. But the main reason I posted this is to point out to inquiring minds why they may not see another plane do a run up before departing. Bear in mind, the two guys putting up most of the posts are 20,000 plus hour pilots (which I will probably only have a chance to reach in my next life!!)

Best,

Dave

Dave I have heard a lot about the in flight mag check. What exactly is the procedure on that. Do you just go B-R and B-L and watch the egt for a rapid increase. Is there a rapid rise on ROP and LOP operations? Anything else to look for?

I have learned sooo much from some of the articles written by the gami people during the past year!

Joe Williams said:
I know they are 20,000 hour pilots. Reading their comments makes me wonder, though, if that 20,000 hours hasn't caused them to become a little complacent. After all, we could all launch into the blue without bother with runups, and 99.9% of the time nothing will happen to any of us, from 100 hr pilots to 20,000 hour pilots. IMHO, experience is not a substitute for caution. The runup takes all of 30 seconds. Personally, I can't think of a good reason not to do it.

Joe I consider 20,000 hour pilots perfessionals in their field. Kind of like I consider Doctors professionals in their field. I do not go around trusting yahoos that think they know what they are doing. I carefully read/listen to them and size them up.

I think runups are a good idea if you are monitoring your gauges and/or your engine is cold. However, to do it just for the sake of doing it does not do the plane/pilot any good.

Iceman said:
Dave I have heard a lot about the in flight mag check. What exactly is the procedure on that. Do you just go B-R and B-L and watch the egt for a rapid increase. Is there a rapid rise on ROP and LOP operations? Anything else to look for

I have learned sooo much from some of the articles written by the gami people during the past year!

====================================================
Chris:

Let me 'xplain how it is suggested one do a LOP mag check. BTW, this is a much more rigorous check than the standard ROP. I've found several weak firing plugs well before my A&P would have and replaced them before they became an issue.

Establish yourself LOP at adequate altitude to deal with any problem which might arise. Think about what your going to do and prepare yourself for the possibility of a problem. If you switch to one mag, you will delay the effective timing of the burn by decreasing the ignition from two flame cones to one. This means the burn will be completed much closer to the time the exhaust valve opens which should raise your EGT reading. Since the burn isn't as effective, CHTs should drop slightly.

Now, before you switch to one mag. think about what will occur if one plug isn't firing properly. When you switch to the mag. on which that plug is located, you will accumulate fuel in that cylinder and the engine may run roughly. If you immediately switch back to both mags, you will ignite the unburned fuel which may have accumulated to a larger than normal amount which could cause a back fire. It is suggrested you do this at a lower powere setting until comfortable with the procedure. At a cruise setting, lthough it's counter intuitive, take you hand off the mag right after the switch over and put one hand on you MP lever. When you switch, if everything is running fine, EHTs will rise 10 or 15 degrees and CHTs will drop a few degrees on each cylinder.
If the engine runs rough, lower the power setting before switching back to both or you may cause a backfire and harm the engine.

It's best to try this a few times at a lower power setting first before doing it in cruise. On almost every long trip I take, somewhere on the trip, I perform a LOP mag check. The worst that has happened is the engine ran rough and I identified a bad plug. When all goes well, you know your engine is firing well.

The JPI can detect a lot of other issues too, like leaky valves. First alerted me to an alternator problem on two different occasions.

Best,

Dave
(who is still an unknown commodity :p )

Dave Siciliano said:
Dave
(who is still an unknown commodity :p )

thanks for the info...looks like your on the road now :)

Don't feel bad...it just takes some of us longer to get there. Some people can solo after a few hours of filght time. It took me 15 hours but I still feel I can bump around the sky as good as they can.

Last edited:
So I agree with the other posters - a mag can fail or plugs load up at any time. Same with the prop. controls etc. So before every flight seems good to me.

I believe people who fly a lot and often (not the same thing, but close) can deal with the added risk of rolling mag checks etc. I'm not sure we want to encourage it all round. This is one of those "do you want to read about it in the accident/incident report" - there's an AC out there that specifically discusses cockpit duties while taxiing, and when you have that runway incursion or run into another aircraft I'm sure it'll be referenced.

So I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but the fact that others do it doesn't mean that everybody should do it (and I don't think that was the question, it's just my opinion).

Well, I know I keep adding this, but there was a lot of back and forth on this. The other guys pretty much have GAMIs and a JPI (or comparable). They aggressively lean before taxi; one to the point where the engine can't go over 1200 rpm without stumbling. Helps assure he won't takeoff lean.

On my takeoff roll I call out four greens: RPM; Fuel Flow; Manifold Presure; Oil pressure when the roll begins. This assures I'm makeing full power and the: the prop governor is working; getting full MP--if oil is cold it can exceed 30"; fuel flow 32 to 33 gph (assures not LOP on departure) and Oil Pressure is in the green.

Best,

Dave
N2024Q (for a short while longer)

I studied all of the above, and finally settled on this:

About the time I start to get ready for my descent, I'll switch the left mag of the left engine off. (I'm already LOP). I watch the JPI to see that all the temps climb. If one doesn't (and/or drops) I know I have a bad plug. If the engine quits (which it might) I have a bad mag.

BTW, if it quits, the worst thing to do is to flip the switch back on -- BOOM!!!! The proper procedure is to go mixture to idle-cutoff on that engine, :) not the other engine :) , then switch on, then slowly introduce mixture.

If all temps climb (and they climb fast), switch on, right mag off (on left engine). I repeat the procedure for the right engine.

At this point I know that both mags and all plugs are working fine. I've read that this is the very best mag check you can do.

I taxi to parking at the same lean setting that I flew and landed at.

I start rich, and lean as detailed above -- even a runup is impossible without going richer.

I check Controls, Instruments, Gas-(quantity, pumps, tanks), and flaps during taxi. When I get to the R (runup) I just can't help it. I pull off to the side, go full rich...hit the brakes, go to 1700, kill both left, back on, kill both right, back on, feather check left, and right...if it is night or any chance of rain or ice, I hit the boots, flip on all the ice stuff, watch the ammeter, and then while the engines are still turning at 1700, ease off the brakes towards the runway (everywhere except PDK where you need clearance from runup to runway (but even then I ask for it at the start of the runup)...and then reduce power to normal...but I figure it is dumb to go 1000 to 1700 to 1000 to 1700 to get out of the runup area.

I'm at 1700 *maybe* 30 seconds (non-ice)...60 seconds (ice).

I know its hard on my boots and brakes, etc.

But:

If there is any water in the fuel and I missed it (either by not sampling enough...or forgetting to sump (gulp))...or I did something boneheaded and have the fuel cut off, or on an empty tank and I missed it (gulp)...I want those engines turning hard for a few seconds to find that out before the runway. Same with Jet-A. What if somebody put some in and I didn't catch it. (yes, I know, watch them. what if somebody put jet-a in the 110LL truck????) I want to see that my cht's are not pegged *before* I get on the runway.

Finally, I really don't want any friends or family reading...

...the Instrument rated multi-engine pilot taxied directly to the runway and failed to do a runup, according to muliple witnesses on site...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey!! Thought you were tryin to get POSITIVE reputation points--where's that gray icon thingy B)

Dave

From a legal perspective, the mag and prop checks are part of the checklists in the AFM and on the placards on most aircraft. If you don't do the check before takeoff, you haven't complied with the book, and you will be criticized if anything bad happens (not to mention busting any FAA-sponsored check you happen to be taking -- checklist use is one of those "special interest" items).

From a safety perspective, it's just plain foolish not to check everything you can when you can do it before takeoff. I personally discovered a failed prop cable on the checks before takeoff one time, and for those unfamiliar with light twins, inability to feather can kill you since the drag of a windmilling prop is enough to overcome the standard day/sea level climb capability of most light piston twins.

All things considered, it takes less than 60 seconds to do the mag and prop checks (even total for both engines on a twin). Ain't no time that's worth skipping unless the Horvidos tribe is that close to being within spearchucking range of your plane (see opening scenes of "Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark").

Thanks Ron. I agree. Just pointing out why some folks in the run up area don't see others doing run ups there before they depart. Also, I have to cross the runway and taxi to the other side to depart when winds are out of the south. I often complete checks while waiting to cross.

Another thing I do that's not in the POH is neutralize elevators before doing the runup. In the Bo, if one leaves elevators down while doing the runup, they vibrate up and down quite and bit and it's hard on bushings, bearings and brackets back there. Funny what you'll do as an owner to reduce wear on things, huh?

Best,

Dave

Dave

Thanks for your post on Runups. I do them for it gives me time to check the temps and pressures. I never like to rush the departure. I have flown LOP in all the planes I have owned or shared for the last 40 years. Plug fouling has been non existent. My dad who loved those radials as an engineer during the 1930s ran everything LOP and when I took him for his first plane ride asked me how the cylinders and plugs were. I was a newly minted nieve pp. I did a runup. He told me so well that engines love oil, clean fuel and clean plugs to work.

John J

Joe Williams said:
IPersonally, I can't think of a good reason not to do it.

Short of the entire Huturi tribe after me with spears and poision tipped blow darts I can't either. I can think of good reasons to do it though.

I've been stranded twice due to failed mags and it wasn't the first flight of the day. One was a 5 minute potty stop. The 2nd time was a very minor momentary one time rpm change inflight that caused me to diverted immediately because I knew that plane intimately... I thought the engine was going to fall off during the subsequent mag check on the ground. The 2nd time was in a plane that I know I could (but don't) reliably trust enough to just hop in and go anytime.

A 45-60 second cursory walkaround and a 30 second runup is nothing and that goes doubly so if it keeps you out of the treetops.

Ron Levy said:
From a legal perspective, the mag and prop checks are part of the checklists in the AFM and on the placards on most aircraft. If you don't do the check before takeoff, you haven't complied with the book, and you will be criticized if anything bad happens (not to mention busting any FAA-sponsored check you happen to be taking -- checklist use is one of those "special interest" items).

From a safety perspective, it's just plain foolish not to check everything you can when you can do it before takeoff. I personally discovered a failed prop cable on the checks before takeoff one time, and for those unfamiliar with light twins, inability to feather can kill you since the drag of a windmilling prop is enough to overcome the standard day/sea level climb capability of most light piston twins.

All things considered, it takes less than 60 seconds to do the mag and prop checks (even total for both engines on a twin). Ain't no time that's worth skipping unless the Horvidos tribe is that close to being within spearchucking range of your plane (see opening scenes of "Indiana Jones - Raiders of the Lost Ark").
To reduce the chances of bieng grounded, do a mag check just prior to shutdown. This will allow you to get it worked on before the next cycle.

Ron Levy said:
From a legal perspective, the mag and prop checks are part of the checklists in the AFM and on the placards on most aircraft.

Yep. Every pilot does a prop 3 times and says "good to go". I ask them:
(1) Why 3 times?
(2) What are you looking for?
Most say that they want to be sure the oil is circulating (which is a good answer) but I ask what gauges they're also checking. A few give me a funny look suggesting that's it.

I suggest
1. Oil pressure .. should show little or zero change ('nuff oil)
2. Manifold pressure .. should show an increase (pitch changed)
3. RPM .. should show decrease (verify pitch changed)

Ron Levy said:

Snakes! I hate snakes!

Silicon Rallye said:
I suggest
1. Oil pressure .. should show little or zero change ('nuff oil)
2. Manifold pressure .. should show an increase (pitch changed)
3. RPM .. should show decrease (verify pitch changed)

You sound like my old CFI. Same reasons. Works in the 182 and the Arrow quite nicely.

bbchien said:
To reduce the chances of bieng grounded, do a mag check just prior to shutdown. This will allow you to get it worked on before the next cycle.

Bruce,

Thanks. Great idea. More of the stuff typically not taught.

Len

I'll throw a, "What Ron wrote" into the thread and offer a rhetorical question: If modern C/S prop hubs & controls constantly circulate fresh oil as the Bo' net claims, then why on a cold winter day does my Mooney still have a heavy prop response lag on the first cycle even if ground op'd until the oil is warm?

IMO some folks at Bo' net need a 709 ride.

Aviation needs a peer reviewed journal. Sheesh.

I do a lot of intro’s and scenic flights, explaining the safety features of redundant ignition systems adds to the comfort level of the new passenger. Also I can't count the number of times I've found fouled plugs on a run up.

Rich

Last edited:
The only constant speed prop I currently fly is a 172RG that is on the rental line at LNS. It flies about every other blue moon, or when my wife or I take it up. I check the hydralic fluid level every time for the gear, despite what the POH says, as it is an old plane and some seal could decide to leak any time.

I run the prop through 3 times, to get oil moving and to make sure something hasn't died in there while it was sitting around. I do a full runup every time it is stopped. It is a 20 plus year old plane, I didn't know any of it's previous owners, and it is yet another unloved member of a rental fleet. Did the last guy lean it out on taxi? At least one member of the rental community seems to run everything full rich all the time. We do still teach what that red knob does, right?

30 seconds on the ground to avoid a badly shaking mag in the air, or worse? That is just not a lot of time, and I cannot see any real downside to it. Maybe it increases wear on some components a little bit. Maybe. If it does, it seems a small price to me to make sure I am not going to have some sort of serious failure in flight. Replace a worn part or a bent pilot? No contest for me.

Jim G

bbchien said:

Bruce, I think there is a lot of wisdom in that statement...even taking it a step forward...a quick post-flight could increase dispatch considerably. :D

grattonja said:
snip. We do still teach what that red knob does, right?

snip.

Jim G

No, not really. Kind of a self taught thing for me. Thank goodness for books. Out of seven instructors, I can't recall one ever mentioning the mixture.

We do still teach what that red knob does said:
Just this week I flew a 5 hr IFR round trip (with an IFR rated buddy who was left seat) with much of it in IMC. During the first climb, I noted it was still full rich passing thru 3000msl, still rich passing thru 4000, and by 5000, I had to ask, "You don't lean during climb?" Response, "No, keeps the engine cool", and thus we stayed full rich to 9000 eastbound, and 10000 westbound. He then leaned the plane. Anytime ATC changed our altitude, up or down, he went full rich for the climb/decent.

I was taught to start leaning (100 ROP) at about 3000msl during the climb, and keep it there with minor tweaking, then lean to 50 ROP once in cruise.

Which is correct (if either) and why?

Joe Williams said:
No, not really. Kind of a self taught thing for me. Thank goodness for books. Out of seven instructors, I can't recall one ever mentioning the mixture.

I can relate Joe, when I started my training up in New Hampshire, no one bothered to mention to me what the mixture was for, other than to cut off the engine.

Out here, we have to lean before taking off, so we kind of get a lot more experience with leaning. I learned a lot more about the mixture from my instructors out here.

Dave Siciliano said:

Best,

Dave

For me, I do a full runup first flight of the day, after that I do a mag check while taxiing to make sure I haven't slipped a set of points, and a quick cycle on the prop to make sure the linkage is still attached. I do these as in my experience, they are typically the mid day failures I'll get. Everyone with some hrs gets into their own routine based on their own experiences.

Bill Jennings said:
During the first climb, I noted it was still full rich passing thru 3000msl, still rich passing thru 4000, and by 5000, I had to ask, "You don't lean during climb?" Response, "No, keeps the engine cool", and thus we stayed full rich to 9000 eastbound, and 10000 westbound. He then leaned the plane. Anytime ATC changed our altitude, up or down, he went full rich for the climb/decent.

I was taught to start leaning (100 ROP) at about 3000msl during the climb, and keep it there with minor tweaking, then lean to 50 ROP once in cruise.

It depends on your plane. I pretty much use your friends modus operandi. However, being based at a 5,500 ft. high field, I have to lean on takeoff. Once my CHT on cylinder #4 (hottes cyl.) heads near 400F, (especially n the summer) I enrichen the mixture to keep the CHT below 400F. I can get to over 1,000 ft. AGL or more before this happens. Once at cruise altitude/power settings and the temps cool, I lean until the firts hint of roughness and then enrichen a bit. I usually can keep it fully leaned out, but occassionally will enrichen a bit to keep the CHT's down. However, I am always leaned in cruise, on the ground and in initial climb. Having an accurate, four probe engine analyzer is key for me in the Tiger.

Anthony said:
It depends on your plane.

He rented his instructor's Archer II (180hp), and I was comparing it to how I fly our club's Archer III (180hp). Very similar iterations of the same basic airplane.

bbchien said:

As a mechanic, I have always done that from day one, although my reason is different, I shut down both mags momentarily to make sure I don't have a hot mag as I'm dragging/pushing the plane by the prop. Enlightened self interest I call it.

Bill Jennings said:
He rented his instructor's Archer II (180hp), and I was comparing it to how I fly our club's Archer III (180hp). Very similar iterations of the same basic airplane.
I've never flown an Archer, but I remember one of my solo XCs in a 172 (fairly hot midsummer day) when I noticed the engine was starting to run rough at about 5,500 on a climb to 6,500. Checked the OAT, didn't think I would be getting carb ice in a full-power climb but levelled off and pulled the carb heat anyway... that wasn't it. Then I noticed that I was still full rich, I'd forgotten to lean! I was taught to begin leaning above 3,000 MSL. Believe me, I never made that mistake again...

Liz

Joe Williams said:

Interesting. My guys taught me leaning during taxi from day one. And we discussed and practiced leaning while flying pretty early on too. Good for the plugs and good for fuel consumption.

Amazing how much the training varies, depending on who taught you. Guess it is a good thing we all fly with various CFIs during our time as pilots. Different bits of learning from different people, I suppose.

Jim G

Bill Jennings said:
Just this week I flew a 5 hr IFR round trip (with an IFR rated buddy who was left seat) with much of it in IMC. During the first climb, I noted it was still full rich passing thru 3000msl, still rich passing thru 4000, and by 5000, I had to ask, "You don't lean during climb?" Response, "No, keeps the engine cool", and thus we stayed full rich to 9000 eastbound, and 10000 westbound. He then leaned the plane. Anytime ATC changed our altitude, up or down, he went full rich for the climb/decent.

Your method will do you fine, just don't forget to richen up during decent, if you try to go around at SL with a mixture leaned for 9000', you might get in a bind.

grattonja said:
Interesting. My guys taught me leaning during taxi from day one. And we discussed and practiced leaning while flying pretty early on too. Good for the plugs and good for fuel consumption.

Amazing how much the training varies, depending on who taught you. Guess it is a good thing we all fly with various CFIs during our time as pilots. Different bits of learning from different people, I suppose.

Jim G

I think CFI's these days have their hands full trying to teach the proper skills to their students. It's easier for the student to not worry about the mixture until shutdown. This way they only have to worry about one knob. Also most of the operations done at flight schools are under 3000msl they can get away without worrying about it.

I don't believe your friend is making max power by climbing full rich in a O-360 to 9/10,000 msl. If temps are a problem above 5000 feet I think something else might be wrong. Climbing too steep, baffling. You're also burning alot of extra 100LL.

I did my primary and more in a Cherokee 180, training at 5000' msl. We were never full rich. Only planes I've flown fool rich at this altitude were turbocharged/normalized.

Eric

bbchien said:

I just had a CFI tell me about this. Not only a right left check but I quick off and back on to make certain there is no shorts in the ignition. It was such a common sense thing to do I was surprised I only now learned about it. Just goes to show, you can never fly with enough CFI's, I learn something from each new one I fly with.

My POH says full rich in a climb to 5,000 then lean for continued climbing. In level cruise at anything above 2,000 I lean. I believe the full rich during climb was something that Deakin (sp?) stressed in his articles.

As to the mag check before shutdown, the first FBO I learned at had me do a quick shutoff/back on - the next FBO I was getting checked out at almost had heart failure on the spot when I did that and told me never to do it again as it was "bad for the engine" . I don't see anything wrong with a L - B - R - B scenario though.

Back