RT-359A Connectors/Terminals

hamer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
hamer
I just bought a Cessna 120 from northern Washington. The seller had an RT-359A installed without an altitude encoder. I purchased an encoder today, however to install it I need the pins/terminals that slip into the female connector mounted on the transponder tray.

I looked on ebay and someone else selling the pins for $140 per ~30. There are a few trays for sale with the connector mounted and the wires cut off, I could splice them in, although not ideal. Those are similarly pricey ~$100+.

Anyone familiar with this? Know where I can get them at a reasonable cost? Or have any laying around?

I'm flying out of KSNA so I need Mode C. I really don't want to spend the money on ADS-B at the moment, I just want to get out and fly and I'll deal with that mandate when the time comes.

Any help is much appreciated.

You need an avionics shop to certify it before the transponder is airworthy. WHile you may only need the encoder for the veil (which doesn't require inspection) or for IFR (which does), the transponder installation and what it is connected to needs to be legally rechecked after the addition of the encoder.

See if you can find the manufacturer/model # of the connector (should be stamped on it), this might help you find the correct pins.

The local avionics shop wasn’t interested in the job, they just wanted me to upgrade to ADSB, for $5k.

I met an A&P on the field who is going to help me, he just tasked me with finding the connectors. I’m going to call around a few other shops at other airports to see if they can find them.

Know where I can get them at a reasonable cost?
I seem to recall those pins where $10 a piece 10 years ago. Maybe call that avionics shop back and offer to bring the aircraft by for the xspndr/encoder certification if you can buy a few pins off them. If that don't work start calling other shops for the pins.

I offered that ebay seller $70 for 15 and he took it. So $4.60 a piece, not bad.

Back