RPM/MP & turbos

I can't do 200 at any altitude, but at 3000 I can do somewhere between 160-165 KTAS on 12 gph at 65%, not cookin' anything.

That is patently false. I bet* if I started at 10k I could get your plane to do 200 at almost any altitude below 8k. LOP or ROP.

*My wife will collect

I'm not cooking anything but the MD crabs when I get back. ;)

I'm on the cannula up high burning 17.5 gph going fast.....down low it's 10-15 kts slower 15-16 gph....leaned for power and cooler CHT temps.

Attachments

• ECFBB871-9174-4CA7-B9EF-CD5E5DC6F3B4.jpg
    ECFBB871-9174-4CA7-B9EF-CD5E5DC6F3B4.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 29
  • 098C8616-7121-419E-851A-7893FC7AC51B.jpg
    098C8616-7121-419E-851A-7893FC7AC51B.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 30
I've always wanted one of those fancy flux capacitors, maybe on my next panel upgrade.

I'm not cooking anything but the MD crabs when I get back. ;)

I'm on the cannula up high burning 17.5 gph going fast.....down low it's 10-15 kts slower 15-16 gph....leaned for power and cooler CHT temps.

You shouldn't be taking pictures of your engine while cruising at 5,480'.

Am I off track with this explanation? Turbos on automobiles enable faster. Turbos on airplanes enable higher.

That is patently false. I bet* if I started at 10k I could get your plane to do 200 at almost any altitude below 8k. LOP or ROP.

*My wife will collect

Well yeah, temporarily. ;) When I do the runway-clearing pass at Gaston's I have to pull power back to stay under Vne... But that's 195 KIAS, and I don't think it'll maintain that in level flight even at full power.

Am I off track with this explanation? Turbos on automobiles enable faster. Turbos on airplanes enable higher.

A little off. Turbos in cars also make them better dealing with altitude. Just not as important. but if you live in high places, a turbo car is a better choice for power. Turbo in planeS enables higher, therefore faster

What happened to the OP? This is a complicated subject to explain and CFIs and engineers have taken their shots at it. Did anything said here turn on the light?

What happened to the OP? This is a complicated subject to explain and CFIs and engineers have taken their shots at it. Did anything said here turn on the light?

Yes it did. I believe that I misunderstood the control mechanism between throttle and prop. The prop governor makes adjustments to the blade pitch as throttle adjustments are made as I understand it. So without a turbo, as you climb you lose MP and prop adjusts accordingly thereby diminishing its effectiveness. It’s easy to talk about “power” and “thrust” and “blade pitch” and “speed” but it is the interplay between all these elements at once - so as usually no really easy way to explain it, but I think I have a somewhat better grasp...though clearly “witchcraft” was best explanation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it did. I believe that I misunderstood the control mechanism between throttle and prop. The prop governor makes adjustments to the blade pitch as throttle adjustments are made as I understand it. So without a turbo, as you climb you lose MP and prop adjusts accordingly thereby diminishing its effectiveness. It’s easy to talk about “power” and “thrust” and “blade pitch” and “speed” but it is the interplay between all these elements at once - so as usually no really easy way to explain it, but I think I have a somewhat better grasp...though clearly “witchcraft” was best explanation!

Check out the Pelican's Perch columns over on AvWeb. They're WAY better at explaining engine stuff than anything from the FAA (or anyone else, really). Start with "Manifold Pressure Sucks!" and then there's one that I think is called Those Marvelous Props or something like that, that I think is linked from Manifold Pressure Sucks. Then there's more on turbos and such. REALLY good stuff.

Back